Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am shopping for a new Triumph jacket and am considering either the Hawk or Westbourne. I have traded some emails with owners of Triumph jackets trying to get a better sense of sizing. I have been told to order big due to the armour. I am 6'1" and 190 lbs and normally wear a XL in my jackets because I don't like my jackets to fit racing tight and like room to put a fleece underneath. I would think this would be a size US48 but have been told they run small. One owner of a Hawk is my height but slightly heavier at 205 lbs and owns a 52 which some sellers advertise as US XL and he says it fits properly with just a bit of room and a 48 for me would fit but be tight.

Can owners of Triumph jackets weigh in please with their perspective on sizing?
Thanks,
George

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I have the XXL Rochester mesh jacket in 56 extra portly and it fits me fine. I normally wear XXL but the smaller 54 would have been too tight. Yes the jackets do run small, or I should say more true-to-size. We Americans are used to things being over-cut and looser fitting. If you normally take a large I'd go with the 50 XL, but there's really no way to know without trying it on.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
biker7 It may be tuff but I would really try them on. For me at 6'4" 200lbs I am usually a 46 in Triumph jackets.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
biker7 It may be tuff but I would really try them on. For me at 6'4" 200lbs I am usually a 46 in Triumph jackets.
You are pretty tall dude Cal. The other thing is jacket fit is complicated by personal preference as well. Some like their jackets racing fit, i.e. tight and others more cruiser loose so to speak. My guess a 46 is pretty snug on your frame or more of a racing fit.
Since I like room in my jackets for a fleece in real cold weather, I am leaning toward a US 50 as the sweet spot for my 190lbs at 6'1" with longish arms.
Thanks for your comments Cal.
George

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Well the problem with me is arm length and the 46 works. I wouldn't actually say they are racer fit either. They are snug but I could comfortably put a sweater underneath. My jacket that I wear everday is a Joe Rocket Ballistic 6 which I wear in a "L".

That being said at 6'4" I am tall but pretty lean so maybe that is why the 46 works. The 48 and 50 I drown in and the 44 is waaayyy to tight.

I totally agree about personal preference. What is your suit jacket size? Mine is a 44-46 Tall and I find the Triumph stuff fits just like my suits do. I have a 36" waist as well which might be the real factor on jacket fit, if it can get around my gut. :)

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Well the problem with me is arm length and the 46 works. I wouldn't actually say they are racer fit either. They are snug but I could comfortably put a sweater underneath. My jacket that I wear everday is a Joe Rocket Ballistic 6 which I wear in a "L".

That being said at 6'4" I am tall but pretty lean so maybe that is why the 46 works. The 48 and 50 I drown in and the 44 is waaayyy to tight.

I totally agree about personal preference. What is your suit jacket size? Mine is a 44-46 Tall and I find the Triumph stuff fits just like my suits do. I have a 36" waist as well which might be the real factor on jacket fit, if it can get around my gut. :)
Even though you are thin...or actually the right weight, my sense is you may prefer your jacket a bit tighter than I do. I know there are purists out there that say a motorcycle jacket should fit pretty close for wind buffeting and in the event of a crash as the armour losing its effectiveness if the jacket is too loose.
I wear a 43-44L in my suits so I am a bit smaller guy but since I like some room in my jacket a 50 still maybe a good fit for me...allowing a couple of layers underneath if need be. Seems as though many like a 52 in the 200-210 lb range and not as tall as you.
Sounds as though Triumph is generous with their sleeve length which is a good thing. You have to have long arms at your height and good news the 46 will cover the arms with hands on the handlebars.
Thanks again for your comments Cal...appreciate it.
George
BTW...love the pic of your bike with the guitar. Fellow guitar player here of years past even though I was never very good at it. Interesting parallel between guitar players and motorcycle guys. I know a few that enjoy both. Clapton is my hero. :)

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Yeah, I do prefer my jackets snug but not tight. The main reason is I cant stand ballooning when I am riding. I hate the feeling like my jacket is a sail. :)

Thanks about the comment on the bike and guitar. I agree with you, there is some unintentional parallel between riders and music. I am not a very good guitarist but I can hold my own in the rhythm section. I love vintage guitars and when I look at the little profiles of alot of the members there are quite a few who have that interest. Very cool group.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Definately size up...

I'm 5'10", 195 and usually wear a 42 or 44 suit jacket. I have 3 Triumph jackets, all size 46 and fit me well; just enough room to get a fleece jacket underneath. I just sold a size 48 Triumph jacket because it was a bit large and the sleeve length caused the shoulder armor to ride to high. YMMV, but maybe that will help.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Have the Hawk

the tag in my jacket says
___
____
I'm guessing the top number is the US size? I don't really know

I'm 6 foot and 195 pounds - the jacket is what I consider a perfect fit - snug without being tight and that's with a fleece pullover or sweater on under it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
jacket size

I just bought a jacket online. Went to my local dealer first to check sizes. I am 6'2" and 215 lbs . Dress coat size is a 48 found that a size 52 (US) fit well with just enough room for a light fleece to fit under it. Got a great deal on a retro racing jacket on ebay new for 250. Watch the auctions under Ebay Motors, Parts then apparel Just search Triumph. A lot of dealers trying to sell their merchandise there. Like I said I saved $170 by offering a best offer bid.
GOOD Luck
JOHN

·
Registered
73 Posts
Wondering if I could get some sizing help from anybody... I'm looking at picking up a Triumph Lennox jacket. I'm 6'4", and my measurements are

shoulders: 56"
chest: 46"
waist: 38"

Would I fit into a size 50 or should I go larger?

Thanks!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hawk jacket question

Hi
I too could use some input, this time on the Hawk Jacket.
I live in South Africa so I cant try it on. The ebay dealer I've been in contact with has recommended size 40 since I'm around a 100cm (40inch) chest. My build is slim to medium... can anyone who is of similar size offer any advice? Much appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Triumph Stockwell Jacket

So I wear a 40 suit jacket and tried on a Triumph Stockwell jacket (cool retro look) that was a size 42. It was a little loose on me and all the dealers around here push a snug fit to help keep amour in place. So anyway, I ordered a size 40 (found it on ebay) and am hoping I don't have to go through the hassle of returning it... I'll let you know how it fits. I'm pretty skinny at 6' 0" and 175 lbs. A bit worried that the arms will be too short.

European sizes are 10 more than US sizes. US size 40 = Euro size 50.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Triumph Stockwell Jacket

So I received the Triumph Stockwell jacket, size 40, today. I have a 39" chest and it seems to fit well. Snug but well. Its definitely a keeper. Really nice jacket. Got it from North County Yamaha in San Marcos California for really good price. They have them listed on ebay.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts