Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newer Triumphs (2013-ish) have locked down their ECU and also made it dependent on the dash and ABS unit being there to even allow start the engine.

Finally I have been able to create the necessary hardware interface and decode the data on the CANbus of my Street Triple 2013. From this we're able to run the bike without the stock dash and extract the run time data such as RPM, Speed, Fuel level etc.

Useful if one want to put aftermarket instruments on, or eliminate the dash all together for a stunt bike or similar.

Work is underway to be able to eliminate the ABS module as well.

Now I'm thinking about making a batch of these small devices that hooks up to the dash connector, bolt on, plug and play. But is it worthwhile? Is there any interest out these in such a device? I will make it an dash adapter so its possible to either ride without a dash altogether, or hook up some aftermarket instruments to the device.

Video

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Newer Triumphs (2013-ish) have locked down their ECU and also made it dependent on the dash and ABS unit being there to even allow start the engine.

Finally I have been able to create the necessary hardware interface and decode the data on the CANbus of my Street Triple 2013. From this we're able to run the bike without the stock dash and extract the run time data such as RPM, Speed, Fuel level etc.

Useful if one want to put aftermarket instruments on, or eliminate the dash all together for a stunt bike or similar.

Now I'm thinking about making a batch of these small devices that hooks up to the dash connector, bolt on, plug and play. But is it worthwhile? Is there any interest out these in such a device? I will make it an dash adapter so its possible to either ride without a dash altogether, or hook up some aftermarket instruments to the device.

Video
Man that sounds sketchy, no?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Hi Tobias

This is the standard Triumph 16 pin plug I spoke about...

Cheers

Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Hi Tobias,

I notice you're in Sydney, whereabouts? I'm in St Ives and I've been messing with Triumph ECUs and clusters for a while so would love to hook up with you.

Terry

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Just wondering. How complex is the signal that the ECU is looking for from the dash? I've read about varying degrees of sophistication, from a simple signal to flag that the dash is present, to a model specific code through to a more complex challenge/response algorithm that may be model specific or even vehicle specific.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just wondering. How complex is the signal that the ECU is looking for from the dash? I've read about varying degrees of sophistication, from a simple signal to flag that the dash is present, to a model specific code through to a more complex challenge/response algorithm that may be model specific or even vehicle specific.
It more towards the later option. Fixing a couple of bikes now with my module so we will see how vehicle specific it is.

/T

·
Registered
226 Posts
If this could work on a 16 onwards WC 1200 thruxton i would be keen. Have wanted to swap out the massive guages for a while

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If this could work on a 16 onwards WC 1200 thruxton i would be keen. Have wanted to swap out the massive guages for a while

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Hi

I'm pretty sure we can sort something out. My new modules are in the testing phase at the moment. Please send me a private message and we will take it from there.

Regards
Tobias

·
Registered
10 Posts

Video
Hi Tobias, how did you go on these little adapters.?..see my post about starting the process of implementing an ODB/CAN reader for TFT...will these work on a 2020 street twin?

Presume this is the way I reply...new member, so I'll find out I guess :)

Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi!

They are not at all made for the 2020 model. But that doesn't mean we cant make it work. What does the connector on your display look like?
Hi, thx for reply

at 4:06 gives a good look...that's an older model obviously since the vid is 2016 but looking at mine, same rectangular connection

Something changed as far as signaling etc. on the '18's and up as the M-Tri unit no longer works and there is no upgrade apparently, but you would know more about that

The approach I took for proof of concept was just to use OBD polling (python-OBD) for temp, fuel, rpm, speed, mil and code the rest i.e. trip1/2, odo, gear, range. But that leaves me needing turn,beam,oil,neutral,batt,i switch to change odo/t1/t2 and mode as detected analogue inputs if I stay on that route...doable but seems a lot of work given I'm IT not electronics and especially since there is a can bus with that info on it presumably. Not unless I can find some proprietary PID's to poll if Triumph integrated into ECU which I assume they did. I mean I could streamline requirements and use say a touch TFT for cycling thru and resetting trip but the idea of not incorporating into switches that are already there doesn't feel right

So, then the approach is to go CAN...very prehistoric and way less than where u have got to, I can read CAN data off OBD connector, but have quickly realized that I'm not going to that well even as far as CAN sniffing is concerned until I go to a CAN board so I can keep up with data rate...

So, obvious solution is to emulate the gauges...but that leaves the issues that the 18's up won't start without the right messages when the gauges removed...which is obviously where a device like yours is absolutely what is needed and it would appear that no one has cracked the Bonnevilles 2018+ yet so must be some demand surely

Now, must look at purchasing a MCP25 blah blah board apparently to sniff the canbus properly

Anyway, enuf said and let me know if your unit suitable because if is, I'd buy one and I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one as the question seems to pop up on the forums frequently :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hard to say if its the same connector out of that video. How many pins?
Hi, I'll see if I can find some more info about connector...apparently is Triumph proprietary from some other post I saw

Failing that I'll take mine apart and get some detailed pics

·
Registered
10 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts