Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newer Triumphs (2013-ish) have locked down their ECU and also made it dependent on the dash and ABS unit being there to even allow start the engine.

Finally I have been able to create the necessary hardware interface and decode the data on the CANbus of my Street Triple 2013. From this we're able to run the bike without the stock dash and extract the run time data such as RPM, Speed, Fuel level etc.

Useful if one want to put aftermarket instruments on, or eliminate the dash all together for a stunt bike or similar.

Work is underway to be able to eliminate the ABS module as well.

Now I'm thinking about making a batch of these small devices that hooks up to the dash connector, bolt on, plug and play. But is it worthwhile? Is there any interest out these in such a device? I will make it an dash adapter so its possible to either ride without a dash altogether, or hook up some aftermarket instruments to the device.

Video

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Newer Triumphs (2013-ish) have locked down their ECU and also made it dependent on the dash and ABS unit being there to even allow start the engine.

Finally I have been able to create the necessary hardware interface and decode the data on the CANbus of my Street Triple 2013. From this we're able to run the bike without the stock dash and extract the run time data such as RPM, Speed, Fuel level etc.

Useful if one want to put aftermarket instruments on, or eliminate the dash all together for a stunt bike or similar.

Work is underway to be able to eliminate the ABS module as well.

Now I'm thinking about making a batch of these small devices that hooks up to the dash connector, bolt on, plug and play. But is it worthwhile? Is there any interest out these in such a device? I will make it an dash adapter so its possible to either ride without a dash altogether, or hook up some aftermarket instruments to the device.

Video
Man that sounds sketchy, no?

·
Registered
734 Posts
Hi Tobias,

I notice you're in Sydney, whereabouts? I'm in St Ives and I've been messing with Triumph ECUs and clusters for a while so would love to hook up with you.

Terry

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Just wondering. How complex is the signal that the ECU is looking for from the dash? I've read about varying degrees of sophistication, from a simple signal to flag that the dash is present, to a model specific code through to a more complex challenge/response algorithm that may be model specific or even vehicle specific.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just wondering. How complex is the signal that the ECU is looking for from the dash? I've read about varying degrees of sophistication, from a simple signal to flag that the dash is present, to a model specific code through to a more complex challenge/response algorithm that may be model specific or even vehicle specific.
It more towards the later option. Fixing a couple of bikes now with my module so we will see how vehicle specific it is.

/T

·
Registered
190 Posts
If this could work on a 16 onwards WC 1200 thruxton i would be keen. Have wanted to swap out the massive guages for a while

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If this could work on a 16 onwards WC 1200 thruxton i would be keen. Have wanted to swap out the massive guages for a while

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Hi

I'm pretty sure we can sort something out. My new modules are in the testing phase at the moment. Please send me a private message and we will take it from there.

Regards
Tobias

1 - 12 of 12 Posts