Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to search a lot to get any comment about the effectiveness of the triumph flyscreen visor. I saw some threads here in the community but all of them are mainly asking tips to install the new piece.

So my question for those that installed and used for a while: This triumph flyscreen worth it to buy? (Would be awesome if u share more data as possible, like your height and/or speeds tested).

Thanks in advance fellows :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I tried to search a lot to get any comment about the effectiveness of the triumph flyscreen visor. I saw some threads here in the community but all of them are mainly asking tips to install the new piece.

So my question for those that installed and used for a while: This triumph flyscreen worth it to buy? (Would be awesome if u share more data as possible, like your height and/or speeds tested).

I have one on mine (2014), assuming you mean the Triumph solid unit with out a clear screen added. I find it offers very little protection when at speed but it looks good.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Do you mean this one?

I put it on my 2020 and it doesn't do much and actually might make it very slightly worse (turbulence) at highway speeds. I've read others say similar things, so I don't think it's just me. BUT, it's not bad or anything I notice and it's still on my bike thousands of miles later because I like how it looks.

For reference, I'm 6'3" (190cm) tall and have ridden the bike on a two week 5,300 mile tour and taken it to the track and had it at just about any speed between 0-125 mph.

Reactions: litiun

·
Registered
14 Posts

My bike came with one and like so many of us that just can't help but constantly feel the urge to change the look or improve something it came off for while.
It does deflect air but hardly noticeable unless you place your chin on your tank you hardly feel much difference.
That said it definitely looks right and for all the right reasons too and as name says, it does work as well for for those occasional fly/bug splats you will find in the warm weather.
I like the idea of fairing and getting tucked under and in; the way my bike is set up its the most comfortable at high speeds
But you'll only get a slight of that belly tuck advantage feeling with the fly screen.
As one reader put it about these screens some time back "a little is better than nothing"
Hope that helped

·
Premium Member
2017 T120 Black
501 Posts
I don't know what bike you are riding, but I got a Dart Fly Screen for my T120. It is the same exact thing at the Triumph Fly Screen, but it was cheaper, because you buy the mounts with the screen. Triumph separates them and charges more. I like having it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't know what bike you are riding, but I got a Dart Fly Screen for my T120. It is the same exact thing at the Triumph Fly Screen, but it was cheaper, because you buy the mounts with the screen. Triumph separates them and charges more. I like having it.
Mine is a Street Triple S 2020

·
Registered
f'd up 2009 Thruxton. It will kill me one day.
17 Posts
I have recently put a small flyscreen on my Thruxton. I don't really notice any difference from the fly screen, maybe a little less on my chest. Also, the bike looks darn good with a flyscreen so I am not going to take it off.

I'm like 5'10", don't know what that is in metric but kind of regular height. I've tested at between 70-75 mph.

So yup, 90% style, 10% wind protection.

·
Registered
Thruxton 1200 R , 900 , KTM Duke 390 , Honda NSR 125 , SWM 124
1,833 Posts
Made my own extension for a speed triple from a Givi ( I think ) fun screen . Five rubber welnuts to mount the clear screen on top of the Triumph item . Worked really well for me turned the bike into a full on tourer without detracting from style . Picked the clear screen up in an online clearance sale £5 .

·
Registered
17 Posts
Do you mean this one?
View attachment 742856

I put it on my 2020 and it doesn't do much and actually might make it very slightly worse (turbulence) at highway speeds. I've read others say similar things, so I don't think it's just me. BUT, it's not bad or anything I notice and it's still on my bike thousands of miles later because I like how it looks.

For reference, I'm 6'3" (190cm) tall and have ridden the bike on a two week 5,300 mile tour and taken it to the track and had it at just about any speed between 0-125 mph.
HI Kraxmel,
I just picked up a 2020 R today and the dealer told me that these visors don't fit US model bikes. But yours seems to work fine. Were you able to get it from a US dealer? Did it fit correctly? Im 6'3" too and whether or not it helps it looks dope.
Any info is appreciated. Thanks
Ben

·
Registered
616 Posts
HI Kraxmel,
I just picked up a 2020 R today and the dealer told me that these visors don't fit US model bikes. But yours seems to work fine. Were you able to get it from a US dealer? Did it fit correctly? Im 6'3" too and whether or not it helps it looks dope.
Any info is appreciated. Thanks
Ben
Ben,

I got mine from my US dealer and he got it from a contact in Italy (I think). He told me they weren't "legal" in the US, "because it's a pain to test / certify things for the government". So, he has some contacts in Europe and he gets some from them from time to time. They put them on a number of their bikes (just not sure if they are all RS's or R's too).

When I installed mine, I did not have to do anything special. I just followed the instructions and it fit / installed perfectly.

Just to be clear, I have a 2020 RS. I assume it would work on the R, but Triumph didn't make the R and RS as much alike as they did in the 2017-2019 line-up.

I took a bunch of pictures when I installed mine. I doubt they'll be of any help, but I'll shoot you a PM with a link to them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Great. Thanks. Yeah it seemed a little unclear why they weren't available. I'm going to push them a little harder and see if I can get one state side.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ben,

I got mine from my US dealer and he got it from a contact in Italy (I think). He told me they weren't "legal" in the US, "because it's a pain to test / certify things for the government". So, he has some contacts in Europe and he gets some from them from time to time. They put them on a number of their bikes (just not sure if they are all RS's or R's too).

When I installed mine, I did not have to do anything special. I just followed the instructions and it fit / installed perfectly.

Just to be clear, I have a 2020 RS. I assume it would work on the R, but Triumph didn't make the R and RS as much alike as they did in the 2017-2019 line-up.

I took a bunch of pictures when I installed mine. I doubt they'll be of any help, but I'll shoot you a PM with a link to them.
Thanks for help. For anyone interested the install on the R required that I drop the headlights down to get the LCD dash out (the little screw right above the air intake boot). So, just an extra step compared to the RS. But other than it fits the same and looks the same- good in my opinion.

Reactions: Kraxmel
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.