Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at buying one of the DVDs , English 101 or Triumph 650 Rebuild. Which one is the best for general maintenance, ie: fork rebuild, setting points, timing, etc?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Are they useful for 750s? Where do you get them from?

Do they cover setting up Amal Mk2s? If not, anyone know where I can get hold of a procedure to set them up?

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
The 650 rebuild dvd is strictly for the motor. The 101 is for most
everything else. I recomend them both as well.:cool:

Another one that can be found as a torrent-
A Bike is born: 1970 Triumph Bonneville T120R
While this one isn't entirely usefull. Mark Evans is rather entertaining.
And who dosen't love gearheads rebuilding stuff.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Yeah, Ive been wanting that 650 rebuild dvd but that $40 price tag is high.
These days you can get a High Def Action movie for less that half that -- i.e. a movie that has had millions of dollars of production thrown at it. I know the Low Brow guys have to make a living, but come on guys, bring that price down! :)

·
Premium Member
9,528 Posts
kev.

I've not seen that DVD but have seen Hughie Hancox's one.

I work in video and post production.

Everybody tends to think that if they can buy a multi million pound film on DVD for £2.99 then it follows that something with a smaller budget is overpriced. But it's all down to numbers.

It's a bit like some of the eye watering spares for old bikes. some bloke makes a short run of castings and it seems expensive compared to the same Honda/Ford part but it's numbers sold v production costs.

Andy Molnar makes £10k engines that although I'm sure are exelent, cost that much because there's a small market compared to his production costs.

I'd guess that the instructional videos work out at maybe £5-7k to produce well (If I was doing it and authoring a decent DVD) and they have short runs duplicated/replicated.

You can buy "Titanic" in Walmart for £2.99
A graduation DVD for £30
A wedding Video £1500 - 4,000

·
Registered
135 Posts
If a $40 DVD saves me a few hours on the rebuild, then it's money well spent.

If a $40 DVD saves me from royally screwing up the rebuild and breaking things, then it's money spectacularly spent!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Do theses DVDs have much on pre-unit triumphs or are they all about the units with nothing or just a brief mention of the pre-units?

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Mostly for unit bikes. However, internally the motors and trannys are
nearly identical. At least till you get to the 5 speed years.
You will need a shop manual for your year so you have torque spec's
and whatnot.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts