Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, help needed.

During the last session of a track day on my D6, while doing a slow warmup lap my bike lost power like it hit a false neutral. I pulled to the side. Turned it off and on, bike fired up right away but the low oil pressure light was on.

I'm at a loss, I'm assuming significant engine damage has occurred as I've replaced:

Oil pickup
Oil pump
Pressure relief valve
Oil pressure switch

New filter, new oil.

The problem persists. What I've observed is if I run the bike above 2.5k rpm the light turns off, at idle it's on. I've of course hardly run the bike since this became an issue due to not wanting to ruin the crank/bearing shells.

Have I missed something? Or is my motor truly in need of a tear down.

Cheers.

·
Super Moderator
8,631 Posts
How many miles are on the motor? If you have replaced everything you say, there's not a whole lot left. Have you checked to make sure there's not a problem with the switch wiring? Any noticeable change in the clacking the motor makes?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How many miles are on the motor? If you have replaced everything you say, there's not a whole lot left. Have you checked to make sure there's not a problem with the switch wiring? Any noticeable change in the clacking the motor makes?
15000 miles. 600 miles ago I performed a full service incl valves.

I neglected to mention, when I tore off the sump to get to the relief valve I found a peice of metal laying in the sum, too big to fit through the oil pickup. Looked like someone had dropped a dowl pin during a previous service before my ownership.it was very deformed though. I also found score marks on the clutch basket and crank where the metal had whizzed around.

Hence why I think it's the bearing shells, the original oil pump had some damage but nothing extreme.

Odd thing is, bike sounds sweet, I've not left it running at idle with low oil pressure for long though for fear of more damage.

·
Super Moderator
8,631 Posts
None of that sounds very good. 15K is nothing on a Triumph motor unless there's a problem. I suppose on solution is to ride it until it blows and then drop in a new motor scrounged up from somewhere. Or rebuild it. If there was a pin zinging around in the engine, there's no telling what it has bounced off of.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
None of that sounds very good. 15K is nothing on a Triumph motor unless there's a problem. I suppose on solution is to ride it until it blows and then drop in a new motor scrounged up from somewhere. Or rebuild it. If there was a pin zinging around in the engine, there's no telling what it has bounced off of.
That was my decision really, I could ride it and risk more damage or attempt to fix the problem without making it worse.

I just posted on here to see if there was something else I'd missed in the Lubrication system that could have saved the motor.

Cheers for your replies.

·
Registered
753 Posts
The piece of metal you found lying in the sump that looked like a dowel pin is most likely a piece of bearing shell from one of the bigends. They tend to curl up like a hollow dowel pin when they get spit out. Missing half a shell would also explain the low oil pressure at low revs since there would be vastly reduced resistance to flow on that journal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The piece of metal you found lying in the sump that looked like a dowel pin is most likely a piece of bearing shell from one of the bigends. They tend to curl up like a hollow dowel pin when they get spit out. Missing half a shell would also explain the low oil pressure at low revs since there would be vastly reduced resistance to flow on that journal.
That's an interesting insight, TBA ks very much.

So that sudden loss of power may have been when the engine damage occurred. Here's a picture of the metal fragment

·
Registered
753 Posts
Mmm, I may be wrong in my diagnosis. I can't think what your metal fragment might be because it doesn't look like a typical piece of shell bearing after it gets spun and spat out. I have attached a picture of what I was expecting. Is your fragment able to be picked up by a magnet?
Pic5.jpg

·
Registered
753 Posts
I'm at a loss as to what it could be or what else could've let go to allow the bike to keep running but with significantly reduced oil pressure.
Anyone else got any ideas?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts