Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! just brought a triumph badged datatool system 3 complete with the rest of the wiring loom second hand that was taken from an 04 Sprint RS to go on my 04 Sprint RS. I was expecting the Alarm to be plug & go into the big alarm connector block in the tail. The Alarm has the connector block but there are other wires coming from it as well and there doesnt seem to be anywhere for them to go? One goes to a small connector block that then goes to the seat tamper switch so thats no problem but there are also 4 wires with insulated bullet connectors (2 male & 2 female), another small 2 pin connector plug & a black 4 pin connector plug. Any body know what the other wires are for or where they go ? No point in asking datatool as they never help unless a dealer. I have read all the forums that say dont bother to fit it , piece of crap etc, but i need it for insurance and piece of mind so just help with the wiring only please if possible.

·
Premium Member
24,383 Posts
Not true

if you contact Datatool they will help you. I had a problom once and got great service through their website;

http://www.datatool.co.uk/

I am not sure but as far as I recalll the S3 was plug and play, someone may have messed with your wiring.

To use it you are going to need the manual for it otherwise you are going to encounter a lot of needless headaches.

I do not know why you say they will not help because you are not a dealer.

DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the point about the user manual, fortunately the loom came with that which as you say is just as well, complicated little fellow! The alarm has not been chopped about, it does have the plug for the main alarm conector as well as the other leads, all coming out of the factory finished connector loom. My comments about datatool were based on previous experience. They were very helpful but would not disclose any wiring diagrams unless i was a registered fitter. I have spoke to them today about this but they say they dont make the Triumph fitting loom, they just supply the module to triumph who do the rest. The guy at my local dealer said the system threes all have extra wires but hes not sure what they do, he didnt think they connected to anything. The guy there i needed to speak to wasnt there so he said try again at the weekend so fingers crossed.!

·
Registered
214 Posts
The four wires with bullet connectors should be two male and two female.
The two black ones are earths, if you connect the yellow to one of the earths the alarm will auto set in "ferry" mode, i.e. No movement sensor unless you set it manually with the fob. If you connect the brown wire to the other earth ( or instead of the the yellow) it will make the movement sensor 30% more sensitive.

·
Premium Member
24,383 Posts
Ok

Ok I understand better now where you are coming from.

I wish I could be more helpful but I am a wiring ignoramus:eek:

Next time ask me about tyres and you will get more sense.

Well I hope the dealer and or datatool will be more forth coming next time and you can get it sorted.

I had an S3 on my '04 Sprint ST for 3 years and took it off when a sensor when beserk and it kept going off.

Up until then mine never gave any trouble apart from my own ID10T syndrome!:D

cheers and good luck.

DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
103 Posts
If you connect the brown wire to the other earth ( or instead of the the yellow) it will make the movement sensor 30% more sensitive.
Now that is interesting my MV is very very sensitive I wonder if it has the same wiring (I think it is Datatool) and I can find this connection.

John

·
Registered
193 Posts
Had to replace the S3 on my 1050 a few weeks ago. One of the wires connected to the earth stopped the audible noise when setting and unsetting the alarm. At this moment I cannot remember what the other one did.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the help folks, heres an update. Spoke to the guy in the know at nearest Triumph dealer who basically said if you dont need to, dont fit it, he gets so many breakdowns etc from the factory alarms ! He did have some paperwork somewhere for the S3's but couldnt find it. Seemed to think the extra 2 pin was for an additional micro switch to cover hard luggage and the 4 pin one was diagnostic. Agreed with Jim that the bullet connectors were for auto arming and sensor settings. Not one to quit ( and admit i'd wasted money buying the bugger!) I had a play yesterday and installed it anyway. A bit of playing about and a few choice words later we're up and running. Experimented and can confirm the yellow bullet auto arms in ferry mode. As i am in the habit of self arming from my old alarm ive left it like this, that way filling with juice or putting bike into my garage etc it doesnt matter if i get done in 30secs or not as movement doesnt set it off. I Then if i'm leaving the bike i after self arming i just unset then set again with the fob and shes back in full protect mode. Tried the other bullets but to be honest couldnt really notice any difference but as my old datatool tip switch was a touch oversensative i left the bullets seperated (in theory less sensative) just in case i park next to a Harley that shakes enough to set my alarm off when it starts up ( which often happened with my old S2). There's too many guys with probs with the alarm to be down to bad installs so to hedge my bets i've also securred the blanking plug in a little hidey hole on the bike so that if unlucky enough to get caught i can do a roadside repair!
Once again many thanks. Now gonna start scanning previous threads for thoughts on fitting st bars on an rs just to raise a tad and higher screen for an rs as i'm long in the body and normally have to fit a flip to most bikes i own!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts