Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive been seeing whats called replacement cylinders for older triumphs, now, from what i can tell the cylinders on triumphs is a cast unit ,...so,.. how do they work, are they pressed in ..that would seem chinsey??
hmm
thanks

·
Super Moderator
13,037 Posts
(I THOUGHT) High quality steel liners are pressed in to lo quality cast iron finned "shells" to form the jugs of Triumph twins. New liners can be sourced and swapped, but the price and technicality of it is almost not worth the effort.

My incorrect recollection corrected, below---

[ This message was edited by: GrandPaulZ on 2006-12-06 09:13 ]

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
New replacement cylinders should be available. I have never needed to order any, so can't comment on quality. I have fitted aftermarket big bore kits and they range from very nice to.................well, disappointing.

·
Registered
144 Posts
GrandPaulZ,
Since when did Triumph press high quality steel einers inyo low quality cast iron shells ????
As far as I know Triumph cast iron cylinders were always a single unit no liners .Also I cannot find a manufacturer for steel sleeves.
Lutz

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
If you have an iron cylinder which you need to recover, you can usually bore them out and fit sleeves. Triumph sleeved the alloy barrels.
Buying new or good used replacement cylinders is usually a more satisfactory solution.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Maybe you were thinking about B.S.A jugs. But neither B.S.A.
nor Triumph had liners in their cast iron cylinders only in alloy cylinders. And those liners were cast iron not steel .
There is a big difference between configuration and material.

Lutz

1 - 8 of 8 Posts