Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During a recent ride to the Tail of the Dragon and many of the other amazing roads of North Carolina, Eastern Tennessee and Northern Georgia, I gained a new appreciation for my Triumph America. Aside from getting to scuff the side treads and outer edges of my tires, I realized how great this machine handles on twisty roads. I’ve known for a long time that it handles better than most other cruisers, but those roads helped me to realize some of its potential. Anyway, the short story is that on the Dragon I had to zip past my friend on his HD, then much to my surprise I soon caught up with my brother on his BMW R1100S. He pulled to the side and waved me past, as he later told me he thought I was on a crotch rocket waiting to pass. Neither of them could keep up, which was really surprising to me. I remind myself that I’m admittedly not the most skilled rider, and have much to learn, but the America performed brilliantly with a bit of leaning inward around the curves. Choosing a sensible line when entering the curve and trying to tuck inward at the apex, then revving out of the curve was a blast! Of course, I’m a conservative rider and I didn’t push it as intensely as I could have, but still was inspired at how far it could lean around the curves (and felt comfortable at it!).

We’ve always known Triumphs have been designed to handle well. It’s just remarkable these cruisers can corner so confidently.
Any other testimonials from America and Speedmaster riders about the great handling of these brilliant motorcycles?

·
Registered
135 Posts
im always amaze at how well my speedy handles. i tell everyone that asks me about her you cannot find a bike that handles that well that looks like that. id put her up against any cruiser out there, and a few standards as well.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Impressive

During a recent ride to the Tail of the Dragon and many of the other amazing roads of North Carolina, Eastern Tennessee and Northern Georgia, I gained a new appreciation for my Triumph America. Aside from getting to scuff the side treads and outer edges of my tires, I realized how great this machine handles on twisty roads. I’ve known for a long time that it handles better than most other cruisers, but those roads helped me to realize some of its potential. Anyway, the short story is that on the Dragon I had to zip past my friend on his HD, then much to my surprise I soon caught up with my brother on his BMW R1100S. He pulled to the side and waved me past, as he later told me he thought I was on a crotch rocket waiting to pass. Neither of them could keep up, which was really surprising to me. I remind myself that I’m admittedly not the most skilled rider, and have much to learn, but the America performed brilliantly with a bit of leaning inward around the curves. Choosing a sensible line when entering the curve and trying to tuck inward at the apex, then revving out of the curve was a blast! Of course, I’m a conservative rider and I didn’t push it as intensely as I could have, but still was inspired at how far it could lean around the curves (and felt comfortable at it!).

We’ve always known Triumphs have been designed to handle well. It’s just remarkable these cruisers can corner so confidently.
Any other testimonials from America and Speedmaster riders about the great handling of these brilliant motorcycles?
On that note, have you seen the video of MCN ringing out the new Thunderbird in the video posted in the Thunderbird forum? It's impressive how fast they were able to transition from one side to the other in corners, for a big bike it is going to handle very well.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Not trying to see your 5 and raise you 5...*G*

...because this isn't as challenging as "The Tail". I attended Keith Code's CA Superbike School (Level 1) at Thunderbolt Raceway last Friday. Of the 40 bikes in our group, there was one other non-sport bike - a BMW ST. Long story short, the T-Bird surprised a LOT of people - including myself, since I have only had it since March '08, and I am still learning how to drive it. This was the first time I had it on the track. Our course included one of the chicanes, so there were 16 turns in 2.25 miles, and while I couldn't flick the TB with the same quickness as some of the squids, there were only a couple of riders who passed me (other than the instructors), and a lot of surprised people I passed - especially in the turns. By the end of the day a number of people came up to me expressing their surprise at 1. how well the bike handled 2. how quick it was. And with the TOR's, my instructor (and everyone else) heard the wonderful sound of a triple compared to the "weed wacker" buzz of the crotch rockets. Kudos to Triumph cruiser engineering!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Tba

My 07 TBA is a gem in the handling department. My only complaint is that it's a little under-powered. Other than that. Handles like a dream. On dry roads I constantly "kiss" the foot-boards. It has good fuel economy. Maintenance costs are bugger all. I have now exceeded 25 thousand ks and it doesn't miss a beat. Had to install a new battery last week, but that's it. If the new Thunderbird is as good, it will be a bottler.:)

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
I find mine handles better than any other of the dozen or so bikes i\'ve owned, and of them all the speedy is the only cruiser i\'ve owned ! I\'ve ridden with other bikes of several types and they all realized the speedy really handles. In the 4 years i have owned it i\'ve gotten more and more to the point where i feel like it\'s part of me and i\'ve never ridden so well as i do on this bike. I\'ve said it many times...i don\'t feel they are cruisers. they have some cruiser styling and forward controls and a rake, but the geometry otherwise is not typical cruiser material. And the low and forward positioning isn\'t as low and forward as most cruisers. they\'re more like a hot rod or roadster or something. A new category maybe? but whatever you call them they have little in common with any cruiser in the way they feel and perform.

And yes, from the reports on the Tbird it looks like it\'s going to be close to is not as good. And the wheelbase on the bird is actually a tad shorter than the speedy ! so i have little doubt triumph scored big with this new bike. Torque up the ying yang and handling. Nothing in it\'s class will touch it if it turns out to be what it\'s looking like it will be.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I live in Asheville, NC in Western NC and my first bike was a speedmaster. I learned how to ride on that thing around here, and when I replaced it with a Moto Guzzi Cali Touring bike I always missed the ride that bike had. When I paid off the Guzzi I ended up getting a scrambler as well, so now I have the best of both worlds in a great place to live and ride.

I don't know about the America, but the speedmaster always was a lot of fun in the twisties. The only problem I had with it was the forward controls had my hamstrings singing after an hour or two of riding. I'm loving the scrambler because while the seat appears to be made out of wood and nails (not comforatable at all for more than an hour) the seating position is golden.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts