Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

After cleaning my 2 year old 2007 '955 with 16,000 miles on the clock lately, I noticed the coating on my swing arm bubbling from underneath, my pannier brackets are corroding, the engine laquer is bubbling at the front of the engine, the mirror stalks are corroding, the wheel laquer is bubbling, etc, etc.

Has Triumph build quality took a nose dive now they are a "popular" make, or have I just been unlucky with mine ??

It's done one british winter, but it's been well looked after.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hi All,

After cleaning my 2 year old 2007 '955 with 16,000 miles on the clock lately, I noticed the coating on my swing arm bubbling from underneath, my pannier brackets are corroding, the engine laquer is bubbling at the front of the engine, the mirror stalks are corroding, the wheel laquer is bubbling, etc, etc.

Has Triumph build quality took a nose dive now they are a "popular" make, or have I just been unlucky with mine ??

It's done one british winter, but it's been well looked after.

The mirror stalks and pannier brackets are a known issue on all Tigers. I would sand and repaint them. Pretty easy to do.

As for the engine laquer and swingarm, no issue with mine. Maybe a bit of bad luck? I can't imagine how tough British winters are on any motorcycle! Mine sleeps during the Canadian winters.

I suppose it wouldn't be too much trouble to remove the swingarm and rims and get them powdercoated, but it might cost a few $$.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Hi Graeme,
There is a bit of corrosion on my cases and a few bubbles on the rims as well, just one of those things I reckon. :(

Still a bloody good bike though! :D

Andy.

·
Registered
705 Posts
My 06 has seen 3 British winters, is used all year in all weathers & sometimes off-road including riding in the sea on two occasions.

Generally, the finish is very good but I've noticed a small area of paint has come away from the swinging arm, and there is corrosion on the following items;
Oil cooler union pipes/bolts
Bash-plate
Fork gaiter clips
Pillion peg & luggage mounting fasteners
One or two fasteners here and there

Otherwise, it's as good as I would expect considering the use it gets. The engine cases have dulled slightly (WD40 fixes that one) but the plated engine casing screws are as bright as the day it was born.

Compared to a Kawasaki, no contest!

Jon

·
Registered
169 Posts
My 2005 is still in pretty good overall condition apart from a couple of small bits on the pannier lugs but overall very pleased and wayyyyy better than my old 2005 K1200GT.

Also have you seen the way those GS BM's rot I should think we can all count ourselves lucky we have the luxury of a decent finish on the Tiger :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts