Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Loading Harley Davidson in Truck after only a 30 mile run. Both Triumph Bonneville's & 675 Suzuki never missed a beat and completed the 300+ mile run without a glitch as usual. Didn't understand why they wanted to take a truck along as a hauler?? Never needed one with our Triumphs. I have been riding for over 45 years and something don't change much. Hog Hauler! LOL
http://youtu.be/z6PvOaxVdcI

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Over 95% of Harleys made are still on the road.

the other 5% made it home.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Saw a big HD broken down on the side of the freeway today, thought of stopping, but she was already on the phone.
I don't think Seattle area Harleys like it when the temp reaches 75 degrees F...

·
Registered
516 Posts
Hog Hauler

I know we all bash Harleys but HONESTLY they are fine motorcycles. The new ones especially are trouble free. That was a unusual incident.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I know we all bash Harleys but HONESTLY they are fine motorcycles. The new ones especially are trouble free. That was a unusual incident.
I don't think much of HD and my one and only was a '68 XLCH Sportster. I will admit, however, that modern Harleys are reliable and generally trouble free; I have more issues with HD riders than the bikes.

Dick

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
I would say it's more a law of large numbers thing. I see way more HDs on the road than anything else. When you're 75% of all the bikes out there, you'll probably have 75% of the break downs.

My Bonnie has given me trouble twice. Once a heavy storm and deep water on the road swamped my electrics and left me stuck for a half hour while I dried it out and once last weekend the throttle cable jammed wide open. Only took a minute to knock loose, but I did have to stop on the side of the road.

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
I''ve owned 8 HD's and none of them ever made me walk. I've had Triumph's make me walk twice. Both Triumphs were 1973 models. The HD's are way better bikes then people give them credit for. I've owned both and been riding for over 40 years. I know a BS ploy when i read one. This is the type of spin you see from news outlets like MSNBC. Anyone could have put a picture up of any vehicle and claim they break down all the time. Gheeeez! Nothing but SPIN>>>>

To be fair and balanced.....old HD's were more dependable then old Triumph or any British stuff.

New HD's and new Triumph are about equal as far as dependability. All new vehicles are well sorted out, cars as well. You almost can't even buy a lemon these days... could be an exception.... as with anything in life. This from a guy that has own new and old of both Triumph and HD.... Just my 2 cents, you spinners can have at it as I exit right.

·
Registered
408 Posts
downpour

My Bonnie died in the rain a while ago, left me straned in a downpour. Sh1t happens.
The same thing happened to me one month ago. I pushed my T-100 across the intersection and was able to push start her. It was the first hard rain of Florida's wet season.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I've owned HD, Honda, Suzuki, Triumph, Hodaka and more. They've all been great rides and they've all had their problems. Witness the content of most scoot forums is +80% how do I fix this problem or that...folks that don't see it aren't being honest with themselves and others. Was in the local Triumph dealer service area a few days ago and it had about 150 scoots in for repair/service, have seen the same in other dealer marks as well. Modern scoots are mostly well sorted, more complex structure tends to lead to more complex problems in any brand. Happy Trails...

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
""""Witness the content of most scoot forums is +80% how do I fix this problem or that...folks that don't see it aren't being honest with themselves and others.""""

YUP, you told it like it is, brand loyalty or shall we say "BLIND loyalty common on forums. I stay away form that BS because that is most often what it is....all spin, sort of like our news these days. Some of these folks should run for office.

To be honest about it these bikes have electrical electronic issue much more then Any HD I've own. How often do we see people replacing either the igniter, coil or speed sensors...HELLO. I never had an electrical issue one on any HD i owned. Have had eight of em. Both old and new. Rode a 1972 FLH cross country coast to coast 4 times, San Diego to Boston and back . Never came close to walking once. I know B S when i see it.

·
Registered
818 Posts
It,s an interesting point..when a guy buys a brand new Harley product..drives off and finds his starter motor kicks in,after washing it at the local suds and fuds place..never happened on the Bonnie..I'm not knockin,just sayin:)J.B.

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
It,s an interesting point..when a guy buys a brand new Harley product..drives off and finds his starter motor kicks in,after washing it at the local suds and fuds place..never happened on the Bonnie..I'm not knockin,just sayin:)J.B.

YUP, see tow trucks leaving suds and fuds all the time with an HD in the back.

·
Registered
243 Posts
My 1993 FXRS has 94000 miles and is still running great. I love my Triumph, but the FXR is a fine bike too. That EVO motor feels like it will run forever. I hope I can say the same thing about my Triumph some day.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Harleys are great bikes too. As stated already I too have prolly had more BS with some of the riders than the bikes . I'll own an HD someday . When I'm too old for a Triumph . :D

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've owned two harleys, i bought a new Sporster in 1996 and kept it about 6 years, never let me down. I bought a 93 heritage softail after the sporster and had staring problems with it, once going it was faultless, after a lot of playing around and chnaging parts I found the female connection of the starter relay was at fault, its wired to the loom so a messy fix. I sold it because HD had wasted a lot of my moaney on replacing everthing in the starter system, and I myself had to find the fault.

But basically the madern harleys I think are very reliable, and probaly the biggest problem with them is infrequent use by sunday riders.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Im not knocking the H-D don't get me wrong,and in all honesty I've talked to Bonnie owners who can't start their EFI model cause the battery ran flat..:)J.B.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Two of my coworkers own HDs.
Last year the one guy had a major engine failure at about 30K miles. Some little cam related widget let go and $2K+ later it was fixed (Road Glide, 03 IIRC). He traded a few weeks ago for a 09 Ultra Classic.
The second guy just had his S&S Big Bore kit frag on him (Rings failed on rear cylinder). He spent the money to have everything done properly. Now he spends his time battling with the shop that installed it and S&S. (08 Ultra Classic).
Both of these guys are meticulous about maintenance and care. For something so close to agricultural equipment, HDs seem to require a lot of TLC and crossed fingers.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts