Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am looking to buy a Hepco & Becker junior top box for my triumph Bonneville SE, but I can't decide whether to have the 40 Ltr or 55 Ltr . I am tempted to go for the 55 Ltr but it looks huge and I don't want to look like I have a fat arse with skinny legs if you know what I mean. Also concerned about wind wobble.

I would be interested in knowing what size top boxes you have and your experience and photos if possible.

Many thanks in advance.

Daffy

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm in the very same boat. I've got a HB 45 (the one they don't make anymore) and I'd love to use it on my T100. I've order the mount so when it comes I'll put my 45 on a couple of take pictures. If I think it's too big I'll probably get the 40 or bight the bullet and get the Gobi 42.

I looked through the picture section above and didn't see a lot of top boxes.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bitten the bullet

I have bitten the bullet and ordered mine, I will post pictures when mine arrive and fitted to the bike.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What I have ordered

These are what I have ordered

The frame is Hepco Becker combined pannier and rear carrier

https://normanhyde.co.uk/hepco-becker-combined-pannier-frames-and-rear-carrier-chrome.html

The panniers are Hepco Becker junior 30l

https://normanhyde.co.uk/hinckley-t...ds/hepco-becker-junior-30l-panniers-pair.html

The top box are Hepco Becker topbox 40l

https://normanhyde.co.uk/hinckley-t...nwards/hepco-becker-junior-top-box-40ltr.html

I know expensive, but as long as no one tells the wife I should survive ?

Daffy

·
Registered
64 Posts
Looking forward to seeing your setup. I'll be interested how much room the pillion's feet have to move around. In some shots I've seen it looks like the Jr. side cases are pretty close the foot pegs.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Recieved all the parts yesterday, as promised here are the photos.

https://goo.gl/photos/JsaLBWLkb5w3nCMA8

I am really impressed with them, the quality is the best I have had as far as luggage is concerned. The 40l top box is just right for the bike, the 55l, in my view, would have been way too big and given the bike a fat arse look. My helmet just about fits in the top box.

I have got on the pillion seat and with my UK size 10 feet I can put my feet on the pegs. My heels do rub against the boxes but shouldn't be a problem for my wife who has smaller feets ?.

Installing the boxes took me about 6 hours, that said I am not experienced with "fiddling" with bike and teaching myself as I go along. A more experienced person could probably do it faster. The hardest part was moving the blinkers. Once that was done the rest fell into place.

To sum up I would recommend these for the Bonneville, happy to answer any questions you may have. I haven't ridden the bike with the boxes yet, so can't comment on the handling, but hoping to go for a ride tomorrow morning to steel horse cafe near Abergavenny, But I am assuming it should be fine as I tend to ride at around 60mph, yes that right I am capt slow ?

Thanks to all the people that have contributed and look forward to seeing you on the black river.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Just ordered my cases w/ mounting system (no top case). The pound's fall from Brexit made the deal too good to resist. $620 for all to my door.

The cases haven't arrived yet, but I just ordered these shorter turn signals from British Customs so I won't have to use the relocation brackets. They haven't yet arrived either, but I'll post pics once everything is installed. They have 1.75" lenses and come with a halogen bulb, so brightness shouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I had "fitment issues" with TWO sets of HB luggage racks. On the first set, they suggested to "give it a little love" to make it fit. That cracked the chrome because chrome apparently isn't made to be bent after hardening. The second set didn't fit either, so I gave up and demanded a refund.

Note: The Happy Trails racks fit without issue, but the DO stick out further in order to clear the turn signals.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Cases haven't arrived yet (retailer still hasn't even shipped them), but my tiny turn signals are installed. They're only 10" wide tip to tip so they should comfortably fit between the cases.

They're small, but the 23-watt bulbs are brighter than the stock ones. All-metal housings. Quite pleased with them. They came from BellaCorse.

You'll want a pair of "dress-up plates" from either Sato Racing, British Customs or New Bonneville. The Soto Racing ones are thicker and spread the signals further apart, allowing clearance for my license plate frame.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts