Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a Triumph Bonneville 1979 very good original condition, with low mileage. However, the bike does need either the electric ignition replaced or coils because it does not have spark at the plugs. The seller is asking $1,500. I figure I can pick it up for a grand. Beings it does not run right now it is a risk. What do you guys think?

·
30,309 Posts
I'd snap that bad boy up in a heartbeat, for 1000 bucks. It won't be that hard to get running, as long as you're into getting things running.

I'm going to shift this thread into classics, vintage and veteran, in case there's anything specific about the 79 you should know.........

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Its a T140D, and from that photo it looks very original. It will have a Lucas RITA ignition. I have found them to be reliable, most likely cause of it failing will be a dirty / broken connector in the wiring. Even $1500 seems cheap, that would be a £2500 bike over here. What are you waiting for?

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I have one. BUY IT. Great bike...and that's a a great price.

That thing looks to have all the stock goodies (except it looks like the finned "points" plate is missing).

go.
buy.
now.

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its a T140D, and from that photo it looks very original. It will have a Lucas RITA ignition. I have found them to be reliable, most likely cause of it failing will be a dirty / broken connector in the wiring. Even $1500 seems cheap, that would be a £2500 bike over here. What are you waiting for?
I am in New Jersey but I return back to Maine tomorrow to start my new employment. I have been shopping for a second bike....a sort of spare for my R3..:D I am hoping it is still available by Friday and I will grab it.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
hey lee , was wondering when i'd seen your tag switch from me to nj now back again .

where's the bike ? up here in maine ? i'd say snag it quick and if it's still available and you're no longer interested , there's quite a few of us here in new england that would love it at that price .

cheers , Woody

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hey lee , was wondering when i'd seen your tag switch from me to nj now back again .
where's the bike ? up here in maine ? i'd say snag it quick and if it's still available and you're no longer interested , there's quite a few of us here in new england that would love it at that price .
cheers , Woody

Woody I got back in Maine last night just in time to ride though the wind, rain and flooding. I accepted a Peri-operative Services Director position beings the housing market was so slow and I could not sell my house.

So I am back in Maine for a few years. I was planning on going to see it today...but shocker some one snagged it. I will just keep my eyes open for another one. :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts