Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I managed to find someone selling a set of genuine Triumph bar-end mirrors. He said they're part A9638060 -- instructions and diagrams here and they certainly look like it but I'm becoming less sure.

That's supposed to fit my bike, unless I'm misreading something. The instructions say 461332+ and I'm reading online that the 2011+ Speed Triple is the VIN range 461332-735437, and mine is 5914xx. So it looks to me like it's the right part for my bike.

Question 0: Right? Is that part number meant to work for my bike?

I bought my bike new.

I thought on buying the mirrors that they had all fittings etc, but once I started following the instructions I realized I was missing one bolt and two lockwashers. My local dealer sourced them for me. So now I have all the pieces listed in the instructions. I think.

I got part way through the instructions but am hitting problems once I get to the part where I'm meant to remove the original end weights and install the "adapters" on the ends of the bars.

Issue 1:

The throttle side unscrews okay: I get a screw (which looks to be M4, at a guess) and a little weight. Left behind is a small threaded hole (again probably M4) in a recess.

The clutch side does not go so well. The (hex) screwhead is a little damaged, possibly from a drop a couple of years ago. When I do manage to turn the screw it takes more with it: the end weight and a thread reducer comes with it. So I'm left with the screw, end weight and reducer all as a unit, and the bar ends up hollow with a wide-gauge thread.

I haven't yet tried very hard to separate these -- the screw head is already damaged and I'm afraid of stripping what's left of its hex grip in the attempt.

Question 1: what's my best shot at separating these without damaging anything? Or should I give up on that, use pliers, and get a new screw if I need it?

Issue 2:

I should at least then be able to install the adaptor the new mirror clamps to on the throttle side, even if I'm stuck on the clutch side for now. But the mirrors come with an M5 bolt and M6 lockwasher, but the threaded inner hole in the reducer in the handlebar is narrower (M4 at a guess as mentioned above). Here is the screw and the new bolt for comparison:

Clearly I can't screw the new bolts into the existing threaded hole.

Question 2.1: What's going on? Did something change in the bars during the 2011 model's production run? Did some mechanic at some point maybe change something in my handlebars? Never had damage on the right side so this doesn't seem likely...

Even if some of the parts I have are intended for a different bike, the bolts I have are definitely the M5 specified in these instructions which are as far as I can tell intended for my bike. So no matter what, I'll need to do something like one of these:
  • Replace the reducers in the handlebars with something which will accept an M5 bolt (but I have no idea how to remove the reducer in the throttle side bar).
  • Widen the holes in the reducers and re-tap at an M5 thread.
  • Use the original smaller screws, possibly with a sleeve to fill the adaptor's hole.
Question 2.2: Which route would you take, or are there other options I'm not considering?

Issue 3:

I also noticed that the adapters have a narrower diameter on the inner edge but that this narrower diameter does not fit into the end of the handlebar, as you can see. It's floating there, at least a couple of millimetres too large in diameter:

Here's a diagram from the instructions (linked above).

The adaptor (part 2 in the diagram above) doesn't look the same as what I have, but I don't know if this is because I have the wrong part or if it's just how the diagram is drawn. The diagram does say "into" but I don't know if I should read so much into its language.

Question 3: Should the adaptor be fitting into the handlebar? In other words, do I have the wrong adaptor for my bike?

Question 4: Assuming I have the wrong part, any idea what mirror kit (part number?) I do have? Maybe it's useful to someone else...

·
Registered
614 Posts
Question 0
That is the correct part number for bar end mirrors for your bike from looking at the parts fiches.

According to the parts fiche that countersunk screw (item #10) should be M5 not M4.

Question 1
Personally I’d be looking to replace that screw anyway if the head has already started rounding, it’ll only get worse.

You could try installing the adapter back into the bars with some blue thread lock, then try undoing the screw. Hopefully the blue thread lock will be enough to stop the insert turning but you can still get it out if you really need to. If you have Torx bits, try finding one which just fits and using that on the screw, it may help more than a hex key. If you have access to an impact driver you could try using that to shock the screw free as well.

Question 2.1
It’s hard to tell scale from your picture but I suspect your cap head screw is actually an M6 which is why it won’t fit. A quick way to tell would be to pull a bolt from an engine casing (e.g. starter cover) and compare, and even see if your cap head screw threads into the bolt hole in the engine casing. If it does, it’s an M6 and it’s too big. Another way to check is to see what the hex key size is for the bolt. A standard M6 cap screw uses a 4mm hex key, M5 is 3mm, M4 is 2.5mm.

If you want to take out the reducer in the bar end, find an appropriate bolt and nut which screw into it, do the nut up against the reducer and you should then be able to turn the bolt to undo the reducer.

Question 2.2
As above, confirm the bolt sizes you have to be sure.

Question 3
That’s weird, I’d expect that shoulder to fit into the handlebar too. If your dealer is nearby and has it in stock, you could ask them to pull out one of the correct adapters for that mirror kit (A9630086) and compare them to see if what you have matches it.

Question 4
No idea, sorry.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's really helpful; thanks.

The larger of the two bolts in the side-by-side picture is definitely M5 -- I ordered them specially since they were missing from the kit. Measuring them confirms -- 5mm.

I hadn't thought of looking at the fiches. Thanks for that. That pretty much confirms that at some point one of the shops my bike's been to replaced the bar end weights and how they attach to the bars, and I just didn't notice. End result is that they're no longer attached with M5.

As for the adapters not slotting into the bars, I suspect I just have the wrong parts. The dealer doesn't have them in stock but says they can order some. Given the issue with the bolt threading it's a trip to the shop by this point anyway.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Found the part number for the adaptors I should have, and searched up an image; they should look like this

The difference in diameter between the left edge and the main body there is much larger than on the parts I have:

So yeah, definitely the wrong parts.

·
Registered
614 Posts
That sucks, hopefully you can either find the right reducers or just drill and tap them out to M5 to take your bolts. Weird that a shop changed them at some point! There is a supercession on the bolt in the link I posted above but it's for another M5 bolt. Odd.

That's annoying on the adapters as well, maybe it was a mirror kit for a bike with bigger bars so had a different adapter.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Sorry, that part number at some point replaced/superceded a previous part number. I thought the previous one might've been an M4 screw instead but it's still M5.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah I see.

Update on my end: my local dealer says their records show they have two of the adaptor parts in stock in their other branch, so I'm waiting on confirmation of that. Assuming they have them I'll go out to get them and at the same time they say they'll have a peek in my bars for me and see what can be done about the thread.

·
Registered
614 Posts
When you get the correct bar end adaptors, would you mind posting the diameter of the large section? I'm trying to work out if RS mirrors will fit on them as the RS mirrors are much cheaper

1 - 9 of 9 Posts