Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

A newbie owner of a 2007 Triple, I am considering adding an Alarm.
Have reviewed the Talon TP-3300ip which in the UK is not a bad price, but there is a possiblity of a Genuine Triumph unit that is specified for the Sprint ST 1050, which I wondered if anyone has an inside view of whether Triumph and Datatool have really been ridiculous and made specific alarms for every bike, seeing how they all plug into a std connector on the bikes ?

Anyone that can advise greatly recieved.

I will probably take the risk on the Triumph alarm and plug n play.

Cheers

Ian

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well took the plunge, so will post the results next weekend once I have attempted to fit an alarm that Triumph claim only fits the ST1050.

Cheers

Ian

·
Registered
16 Posts
The insurance that you take out with the Triumph approved alarm is that Triumph and their dealers will say that you have not violated any warranty and will work on your wiring in future.

Beware though, the alarm can drain your battery over a 2-3 week period unless you ride everyday. So be prepared to invest in a battery charger/conditioner (Optimate etc) as the next step.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Check in with Jack Lilley or Carl Rosner in the UK for an opinion. Also call Triumph Technical if you really wanna be sure

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers, I tried Datatool and they were no help they toed the line that all bikes are different, yet they have developed a std connector interface.

As for the insurance, not really interested as the benefit is negible I would like a little piece of mind when it's left somewhere over and above the chain n lock.

optimate already in place, so got it sorted although expect to be using the toy daily to commute.

Just out of interest Burnster, are you Mike who has helped me out with Alarms in the past, not to far from me either, think you sold me a S3 a few years back if so.

Thanks

·
Registered
144 Posts
Just curious - are Speed Triples at risk of being stolen in your area?

I have never heard of one being stolen, but perhaps that is because I live in the US where crime is unheard of.

OK, then, - back to reality. I really have not heard of one being stolen at least in the Seattle area - 600 sport bikes yes. What have others found to be the case?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Dave,

No idea on the UK Stats for Triple theft just always had self-fit immobilisers or Alarms to give me that little bit of extra when left in a car park while taking a refreshment break.

Plus off to Spain, France, Italy Switzerland I hope in May so will feel happier if one in place.

Ian

·
Registered
889 Posts
Hi Dave,

No idea on the UK Stats for Triple theft just always had self-fit immobilisers or Alarms to give me that little bit of extra when left in a car park while taking a refreshment break.

Plus off to Spain, France, Italy Switzerland I hope in May so will feel happier if one in place.

Ian

I'm looking to have the Triumph alarm installed on my Speed 09. Ive read about the viper on the net, and many seemed to have problems with it, including motor shutting down while riding :eek:

At the dealer they told me the bikes wiring is already prepared for the Triumph alarm system. When installing vipers or other brands you need to do some cutting and rewiring...

I like to think that those who build the bike will offer alarm systems that work well with their bikes...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi All,

Spoke to triumph today and they have confimred that the Triumph system I have taken the risk on is compatible with the Speed Triple.

Jack Lilley had no way to confirm, so had to speak to the warranty people.

Look forward to it arriving and then I can get on with fitting it.

I will let you all know how it goes.

Ian

·
Registered
889 Posts
Hi All,

Spoke to triumph today and they have confimred that the Triumph system I have taken the risk on is compatible with the Speed Triple.

Jack Lilley had no way to confirm, so had to speak to the warranty people.

Look forward to it arriving and then I can get on with fitting it.

I will let you all know how it goes.

Ian
You should check with your dealer but mine installs accessories for free when I buy them from him.

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
At the dealer they told me the bikes wiring is already prepared for the Triumph alarm system. When installing vipers or other brands you need to do some cutting and rewiring...
That's a lie / lack of knowledge on your stealer's part.

There is an alarm connector with few jumper wires under the seat. This connector can easily be sourced from any electronics store and then used to wire any aftermarket alarm you like. No need to cut any wires on bike's harness.

On the negative side any alarm that is plugged to one connector only can also be bypassed at that same connector.

·
Registered
889 Posts
That's a lie / lack of knowledge on your stealer's part.

There is an alarm connector with few jumper wires under the seat. This connector can easily be sourced from any electronics store and then used to wire any aftermarket alarm you like. No need to cut any wires on bike's harness.

On the negative side any alarm that is plugged to one connector only can also be bypassed at that same connector.

Well I know that for example when they have the Viper installed there's a Viper technician that does the job. For the Triumph alarm it's done by the dealer mechanics. If it was just plug and play I wonder why they would send a technician to install the alarm at dealer...At the dealer (very honest dealer) he wasnt trying to sell me the Triumph alarm, he told me most sports bike got the Viper cause its one of the few recognized by insurance companies and that he wasnt aware of unsatisfied customers with the Viper, but I just found many bad reviews on the web, some of old viper systems and some of more recent...

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Might be that the Viper people are not interested on creating a plug-in solution due to hardwired kit being a step more secure. Or maybe a technician driving around doing installs on hourly rate is good business. Who knows.

In any case all the necessary +12, switched +12, starter solenoid, starter, blinker and dash LED wires are present at the alarm plug under the seat. Very easy to wire any alarm to this plug in same fashion as Triumph branded Datatool.

Also very easy to bypass any plug-in alarm that is connected here. Such alarms do not really provide any real security besides the few seconds of noise. Uplug & discard. Replace with jumper plug. You have an alarmless & fully operational bike.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Might be that the Viper people are not interested on creating a plug-in solution due to hardwired kit being a step more secure. Or maybe a technician driving around doing installs on hourly rate is good business. Who knows.

In any case all the necessary +12, switched +12, starter solenoid, starter, blinker and dash LED wires are present at the alarm plug under the seat. Very easy to wire any alarm to this plug in same fashion as Triumph branded Datatool.

Also very easy to bypass any plug-in alarm that is connected here. Such alarms do not really provide any real security besides the few seconds of noise. Uplug & discard. Replace with jumper plug. You have an alarmless & fully operational bike.
Hum. so they could pick the lock to remove the seat and unplug the wires, theres no second mecanism to prevent this?
I'll make sure not to give you my address, you'll come and get my bike! :p I had made my mind on the Triumph alarm system but now you make me doupt again. How can alarm system manufacturers not consider how thefts deactivate their systems...I mean couldnt they made it harder to bypass....?

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Hum. so they could pick the lock to remove the seat and unplug the wires, theres no second mecanism to prevent this?
Well there is still the normal ignition lock to hotwire. But the alarm itself has no pairing with ECU or bike, so it can just be unplugged and bike will work just fine.

How can alarm system manufacturers not consider how thefts deactivate their systems...I mean couldnt they made it harder to bypass....?
Sure. All modern immobilisers like the Honda HISS system and all car systems nowadays utilize a radio key that is paired with the bike/car ECU.

Aftermarket bike alarms do not have any pairing feature, so they are quite a bit simpler. I guess it is a cost issue for Hinckley also. More sophisticated system is more expensive and has to come on the bike factory installed.

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
So what do you recommand for a bike? not putting one at all?
The biggest hardened chain + lock combo you can find is the best protection against bike being carried off into a van. Disc lock, when on the go. That too will only slow down a determined thief, but much more so than an alarm.

I have not installed aftermarket alarm on my Triumphs due to the charging system being quite weak. It does not take much even without an alarm to discharge the battery.

I guess an alarm is OK if your bike is parked under your bedroom window. Then you can storm outside when you wake up to the noise. Otherwise they don't do much.

In any case, if you decide to get one, make sure you get to keep the original jumper plug from the alarm connector. That will be a godsend if you need to bypass malfunctioning alarm on a roadtrip.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Alarm Fitted

Hi All,

As promised, I have now fitted the Triumph (Datatool S4) to my Speed Triple.

Although this kit was for a Sprint ST 1050, the actual alarm unit connected up and functions without a glitch and they have made it a little more difficult than simply unplugging the connector and putting in the jumper.

So my only issue has been that there is not much scope on the triple to fit the unti anywhere super unaccessable.
I even had the tank off as a nice BMC air filter jumped into my hands and needed fitting.

So to my original post, it does appear that the Triumph alarms for simliar series of bikes ( engine size) work across, so if you can find a bargain as I did £108 delivered. Then go for it as although mine garaged has a ground anchor, hardcore padlock and chain plus another chain fitted, I do not always want to carry a chain with me on a afternoon blast in the sun.

Ultimatley, if a thief wants it they will have it.

I agree with the coments made by others that it is ridiculous to not on a bike in 2007 have a paired immobiliser just to hinder the thief once they have it in there garage to need to work with a laptop and SW to reprogramme it all.

I am happy with the outcome, thanks to anyone who posted.

If someone has the fitting instructions from aTriumph alarm for a Speed Triple I would be interested to read to see where the recomended fitment location is.

I am going to call Triumph to see if they will sell me the correct fitting kit seperately.

Ian:)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Just curious - are Speed Triples at risk of being stolen in your area?

I have never heard of one being stolen, but perhaps that is because I live in the US where crime is unheard of.

OK, then, - back to reality. I really have not heard of one being stolen at least in the Seattle area - 600 sport bikes yes. What have others found to be the case?
Good to here Dave as I was considering getting an alarm for my Speedy. Mine is stored inside most of the time anyway.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I think you'd have less chances of getting robbed with a S3 then a R1..the more bikes on the road of one model the easier it is to steal one and go unnoticed and the bigger the market for the bike and its parts.

I have a friend who had 2 bikes stolen, both had alarms, the 2nd time they even robbed it half a block of where he lived (parked in the city), they stopped with a minivan, 2 big fellas lifting the bike (while the high pitch alarm was screaming) and putting it in the back of the van. He was running and screaming towards his bike, the guys didnt even look up, they closed the door and bye-bye before if could reach them.

Moral of the story, I wanted the best alarm when I bought the bike, the triumph alarm pissed me off so bad I paid to have it removed (it even drove the mecanics nuts when I brought it at the dealer for maintenance)...now I dont have an alarm, but my bike is insured, so if it does get stolen, I guess Id just have to wipe my tears and order a 2011 speed triple :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts