Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well,Triumph did not have a display this year at the Toronto bike show. Needless to say I was not impressed with this decision by Triumph not to attend. The Toronto area lost it's largest Triumph dealer (There were other brands as well)this past fall and I think that the company should be making every attempt possible to keep the brand alive in Canada. I hope that this is not a sign that the brand is pulling out of Canada.....

·
Registered
919 Posts
It's a sign they don't do bike shows. Triumph & KTM. I don't understand it. Can't cost that much for the huge amount of prime exposure to a perfect demographic. Went to the Atlanta show last year with some friends, 2 of us ended up buying new bikes.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
The main reason my wife bought her 2005 Sprint ST was the 05 show in Detroit. They didn't show this year and I'm wondering what is going on. How much does it cost to do the full run of shows and what are they shuffling that money into instead?

·
Registered
643 Posts
They haven't been participating in the Cycle World shows for awhile now. The only representation they have in the LA area show is by the South Bay Triumph dealer showing up with a few models. Shameful. :(

·
Banned
798 Posts
I wrote a long and hopefully painful letter today to Cycle World International Motorcycle shows about the lack of Triumph, KTM, and others at the Ft Worth Texas show.

The "INTERNATIONAL" motorcycle show should not be dominated by a bunch of cheap harley bad guy wannebe apparel krap and booths selling anti fog cream for your glasses etc. I mean really ***???!!!!!&*(^%%$#@.

Absolutely no serious collections other than the vintage MX (which I did enjoy). No cool serious concept bikes only the typical and now quite boring Orange County Chopper-like stuff, DGMS!!! Nothing, just basically the stuff you'll see at the dealers. That doesn't get it for me. If that's what Cycle World is about....I hope they fold up like a wet newspaper.

Skrew em all and feed em fish heads...phoookers. I wasted an entire Saturday driving to Ft Worth from Dallas. They SUK.

I'm sorry, I just came from my lame holiday party for my office. Yeah, I'm just filled with that ol' holiday spirit...

[ This message was edited by: kwajazz on 2006-12-09 18:14 ]

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I went to the IMS in Seattle last Saturday. My dealer advertised their large exhibit as "Triumph of Seattle" (though they also sell a bunch of other makes). They had a Triumph rep there, whom I got to talk to. I forgot to ask about the brake issue, oops.

The interesting thing is as I went to some of the other manufacturers, I found that they were largely manned by local dealer employees, so really, if an exhibit isn't officially sponsered by the manufacturer, I don't see any big loss. Of course, I went there to sit on some Ducatis, and look at the new Concours, and sit on some other sport-tourers, nothing exotic.

I also bought a cool pinstriping gadget. Haven't tried it yet.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Triumph didn't turn up because they don't give a sh*t about owners. It costs too much money and that could harm the managements Xmas bonus.

The "Brand Image" sells the bike! That's what Triumph thinks. How wrong they are.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Triumph have had a display at Toronto show for several years. They would have each bike and some of their clothing. This is the first year they failed to attend. As for KTM they had a display with all of their bikes and large amount of clothing and kit for their bikes. They were right next to Victory so it seems the partnership with Polaris is working out.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
On 2006-12-08 23:18, kwajazz wrote:
The "INTERNATIONAL" motorcycle show should not be dominated by a bunch of cheap harley bad guy wannebe apparel krap and booths selling anti fog cream for your glasses etc. I mean really ***???!!!!!&*(^%%$#@.

Absolutely no serious collections other than the vintage MX (which I did enjoy).
+1000!

that bad boy ***** is SO beat. mc chopper, mc harley. mc get-a-life.

i stopped attending shows a long time ago. the vintage shows are the best!
some of the best shows to me are getting pit passes and attending local ama days at the track. cool old school bikes that are all mod'ed out and loved that spew pure power and style. bikes like this get me going too!

the uber cool cats in japan know where it's at with bikes.
here's just a one sample of the cool vintage they are doing right now. -- that and cool flat track style bikes.

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
> The "Brand Image" sells the bike! That's what Triumph thinks. How wrong they are.

It musst be those growing sales numbers misleading them, you think?

·
Registered
187 Posts
looks like it will be a no-show for Triumph at the NYC motorcycle show at Jacob Javits in Jan'07, but on a happier note, triumph motorcycle wear will be there in booth 963 and 1062. Hopefully with a bike or two to show how good you look wear the leathers on their bike.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
I've still got a regular number of people who ask me what I ride then say, "Oh really? I didn't think Triumph made bikes anymore..."

That tells me Triumph has a LONG way to go before their 'image' is anywhere approaching Ducati or Harley. Most of the cruiser crowd around here don't even know that the Triumph dealership sells Triumphs or to even consider them alongside a new Harley.

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
> I've still got a regular number of people who ask me what I ride then say, "Oh really? I didn't think Triumph made bikes anymore..."

That tells me Triumph has a LONG way to go before their 'image' is anywhere approaching Ducati or Harley.

Probably so. But what it tells me is that a decade of PARTICIPATING in the CW traveling circus didn't do them that much good!

I'll bet that's what it tells Mr Bloor too.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Triumph U.S. ???? It's a small "store front"

A couple of years ago I happened upon "Walt Sanders Blvd." in Georgia. It's on the far end of a large industrial type building not much bigger than my dry cleaners. A young lady manned the phones and was cold and short. I had no complaints just wanted a look around. She beckoned a short "near easterner" with a Brit accent who acted as if I was bothering them. I handed him a letter asking to forward it as I believe I have one of the earliest U.S. Triumphs....just a proud and curious TRIUMPH OWNER!!! They hand me a year old brochure and said, "have a nice day". I felt rather dejected, being 20 years married , no big deal. If it were my company things would be a lot better......JOHN BLOOR , CUSTOMERS ARE NOT AN INCONVEINENCE!!!! THEY ARE YOUR LIFE-BLOOD!!!!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Triumph hasn't exhibited in a IMS event for several years. KTM and BMW only do select shows on the circuit. Only those they feel offer the greatest return. With the powersports industry down nearly 50%, it will be interesting to see who shows up (and who doesn't) in 2010.

·
Registered
62 Posts
...Triumph has a LONG way to go before their 'image' is anywhere approaching Ducati or Harley.
Your image is simply a reflection of what you already are. If you want to change your image, you have to BE what it is you want credit for. If Triumph wants to be like Ducati or Harley, they'll need to do a lot of things differently, but I'm not convinced that's the goal.

·
Registered
25 Posts
toronto motorcycle show

Strugis Cycle was there with a couple of bikes.Where was "Triumph" . When asked what kind of bike I ride ,I tell them a Triumph.They say,"do they still make them"? I say of course, do you live in a friggin' cave or something? How could you not know Triumph motorcycles are still being built? Idiots! Triumph motorcycles better start attending these shows , in this day and age of down sizing. That does include the size of vehicle we drive.And if it is about spending money to attend these shows, that's bull. You have to spend a little money to make a little money.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The last time I remember seeing this topic come up I mentioned that because of seeing Triumph's display at the 2005 IMS in Atlanta I purchased my first Triumph. Until that time I never would have even thought of buying a Triumph simply because I did not know anything about them and their dealer network is not as extensive as the other lines (now even much worse than 2005). I know from the prior conversation that I was not alone in discovering Triumph for the first time because of the show.

In debating whether the shows are good for Triumph and their current and potential customers I struggle to see how anyone can reasonably argue against it. The only valid excuse I can accept for Triumph not attending is the cost. However even despite the tough times I tend to believe that the benefits of getting your product out there in front of your potential customers is worth the cost.

Another reason for them to attend the show is Triumphs merry-go-round dealer network. There are only two dealerships within a few hours driving distance that were around when I first saw the 2005 Rocket III spinning on display at the Atlanta show. Because of that display the very next day I gave a dealer (now defunct) a thousand dollar deposit and then waited nine months for the bike to be available.

I believe the last show Triumph attended was that 2005 show which means that if I never would have attended I never would have purchased that first Rocket III. And if I never purchased that Rocket III I never would have purchased the other three new Triumphs either. So as you can see that one show actually accounted for the sale to me of four brand new Triumphs.

Amazing, four new Triumphs since 2005 from three different dealerships, and not one of the dealerships is still alive.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts