Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Has anyone split these open to clean and refurb them, can't find any info in UK.

Any help, tips and tricks will be appreciated

Dave

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
They are not *EVER* to be split open, according to the service manual.

That's all I know. Never seen a pair in person, but seeing that in the manual scared the bejesus out of me after I had split my Tokicos. (The Tokicos are apparently designed to be split, not so the Triumph/Alcon units.)

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi

Thanks for your quick reply, i'll investigate further, i wondered why there is no service kits or info in the Haynes manual

Dave

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
The car guys also say not to crack open that type of caliper. Of importance during a rebuild is to make sure that the fluid passages are clear.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Anybody know why they would design 'em like that? Seems a bit silly to me...

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Just a guess but I bet Alcon used better materials for their seals & as the pistons are (I believe) ceramic coated don't pit and damage seals like others may...?

One things for sure when I got mine they looked to be in a bit of a state deffo been through a few winters & was an outside bike too (no cover either) but I could still push the seals back in with moderate finger pressure, a quick wipe over and they were like new..;-)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts