Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve just purchased a triumph 1200 RS AND IVE NOT DONE 300 miles and the coolent tub has just melted and burst open all over my ankle and boots,it’s brand new,has anybody had this kind of issue please I’m really upset about it as these things arnt cheap and I’m thinking is this bike any good should I send it back,and get my foot looked at,help anyone please ??

·
Registered
2022 Speed Triple 1200 RS
735 Posts
Pics of failed coolant reservoir? My bike has 509 miles, and everything in that area still looks absolutely pristine.

Wait, did you mean Speed Triple 1200 RS, or Thruxton 1200 RS?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pics of failed coolant reservoir? My bike has 509 miles, and everything in that area still looks absolutely pristine.

Wait, did you mean Speed Triple 1200 RS, or Thruxton 1200 RS?
Speed triple 1200RS the coolant reservoir has melted,and it has now gone back to dealer,this must be a fault but will find out later

·
Registered
735 Posts
Always take pictures for your records.

Did this happen while you were riding fast on track, or riding in slow traffic, or did you let the bike idle for an hour, or? Just want to know under what condition this melting happened.

All I can think of is a very bad batch of plastic which seems unlikely to me and would be easily pinpointed after the fact and would result in a recall and probably we would have heard of this by now as it wouldn't be a single reservoir tank they'd be failing left and right. Or, a one-off failed head gasket etc resulting in blowing super heated steam into the reservoir and melting it -- and the cooling system will be low on coolant if this was the case, but this too strikes me as hard-to-achieve.

The only example I could find online was a '02 CBR954RR with the reservoir approx 2" from the exhaust header, and the heat shield was missing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Did this happen while you were riding fast on track, or riding in slow traffic, or did you let the bike idle for an hour, or? Just want to know under what condition this melting happened.

All I can think of is a very bad batch of plastic which seems unlikely to me and would be easily pinpointed after the fact and would result in a recall and probably we would have heard of this by now as it wouldn't be a single reservoir tank they'd be failing left and right. Or, a one-off failed head gasket etc resulting in blowing super heated steam into the reservoir and melting it -- and the cooling system will be low on coolant if this was the case, but this too strikes me as hard-to-achieve.

The only example I could find online was a '02 CBR954RR with the reservoir approx 2" from the exhaust header, and the heat shield was missing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Attachments

·
Registered
735 Posts
Can you take the the little cover off the bike that's hiding the coolant reservoir ... it pops right off just gently pull.

I'm going to guess that it didn't melt, but it had a head gasket failure or similar, and simply blew a bunch of coolant out all over the bike and you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Can you take the the little cover off the bike that's hiding the coolant reservoir ... it pops right off just gently pull.

I'm going to guess that it didn't melt, but it had a head gasket failure or similar, and simply blew a bunch of coolant out all over the bike and you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well triumph have contacted me to say they are on the case,and it has melted so there must be either a bad batch or bad design,I’ve just paid £15100 and no bike,jutted as I do love the bike

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
And yes the little cap was actually hanging off when it was hot,when the bike cooled down when they collected it from my place they taken the cap off and it was all melting round by the screw holes and the pipes had come out,I’m sure they will let me know but they said the bike is damaged from this,so know idea what’s gonna happen now,but I think they should send me a new bike

·
Registered
735 Posts
The thing is, you could take the reservoir off the bike, and ride around for quite a long while. The cooling is from the coolant in the engine and radiator. Likely your bike blew a bunch of coolant out, overheated, and got so hot the engine melted the reservoir. The reservoir itself probably isn't the root cause of the issue. You need to figure out why the engine blew all the coolant out and overheated and then got so hot that it melted plastic parts close to the engine. That's my guess. Yeah you are probably getting a new engine under warranty! Maybe it was something as simple as a failed radiator fan.

A shame we don't have the technology to display engine coolant temp by default in 2021 ...

·
Registered
56 Posts
I’ve just purchased a triumph 1200 RS AND IVE NOT DONE 300 miles and the coolent tub has just melted and burst open all over my ankle and boots,it’s brand new,has anybody had this kind of issue please I’m really upset about it as these things arnt cheap and I’m thinking is this bike any good should I send it back,and get my foot looked at,help anyone please ??
Sorry to hear this, very disappointing when this sort of thing happens on a brand new bike, but like xorbe mentioned, make sure that the dealer looks deeper into this to make sure it wasn't caused by another issue with the engine, good luck
So far I've put 1600 miles on my 1200SR and she's been running like a top

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry to hear this, very disappointing when this sort of thing happens on a brand new bike, but like xorbe mentioned, make sure that the dealer looks deeper into this to make sure it wasn't caused by another issue with the engine, good luck
So far I've put 1600 miles on my 1200SR and she's been running like a top
I’m glad to hear your’s ls running tip top,I’m just gutted I’ve had to give it back I think the bike is awsome ,well hopefully I get it back soon and back out there 👍🏻

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The thing is, you could take the reservoir off the bike, and ride around for quite a long while. The cooling is from the coolant in the engine and radiator. Likely your bike blew a bunch of coolant out, overheated, and got so hot the engine melted the reservoir. The reservoir itself probably isn't the root cause of the issue. You need to figure out why the engine blew all the coolant out and overheated and then got so hot that it melted plastic parts close to the engine. That's my guess. Yeah you are probably getting a new engine under warranty! Maybe it was something as simple as a failed radiator fan.

A shame we don't have the technology to display engine coolant temp by default in 2021 ...
Definitely must be a problem with something else that didn’t kick in,hopefully I get answers soon and I’ll let you know what has happen when they get back to me 👍🏻

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Any update from the dealer?
Yes they still looking into it but the respond is that a bad batch of bike have been sold and mine was one of them,it was a sensor apparently that’s faulty,triumph have had problems with so it’s not just mine,triumph have said they wouldn’t deal with me as the contract is with the people I’ve bought the bike with,so I’m yet again waiting,but on the a good note they have given me the demo bike and I went out lastnight on that and I absolutely love it,will keep you posted on the out come 👍🏻

1 - 20 of 24 Posts