Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just decided to back off on my compression damping a couple clicks on my TripleR. When I did I went ahead and checked what they were set to. According to the supplement for the R you screw them all the way in and count the clicks as you turn them out. Well what I found was none of the setting compression and rebound on both the forks and the shock were set at the supposed base setting. Also on top of that the compression settings were not the same on left and right and were different by 3 clicks!!!

Good thing we have rough roads here in Oregon or I would have never checked them.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I also checked mine and noticed they were somewhat off as to what was stated in the manual about coming from the factory at the default settings. It's always a good idea on a new bike to check everything - oil, fluids, suspension, etc...

·
Registered
233 Posts
You should always check that stuff on any bike, new, or after you get it back from service. It's just good practice because they could change for any number of reasons.

Zane

·
Registered
936 Posts
I just decided to back off on my compression damping a couple clicks on my TripleR. When I did I went ahead and checked what they were set to. ...{etc}...
Are your forks the same as the S3 IIRC Rebound right fork leg Compression Left leg?

·
Registered
112 Posts
So R owners, whats your impression of the suspension? To be honest I am a little disappointed. I have mine set to the factory softer recommendation, and I still feel every little bump...

No. The R is full compression and rebound on both sides

·
Super Moderator
4,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
So R owners, whats your impression of the suspension? To be honest I am a little disappointed. I have mine set to the factory softer recommendation, and I still feel every little bump...
I think it works very well. It is slightly rough on a bumpy road at low speeds but... If you are on a uneven road at a very high rate of speed the bike tracks very well and doesn't hop or lose its composure.

How much do you weigh? You should check your suspension sag. You might be too light for the spring rates.

The factory soft settings aren't very soft though. I'm set softer then they are. If you notice the settings in the book are the same across the board for the spring pre-load. You could try fully unscrewing the spring preload and then backing off on the compression damping.

If you do this though make sure to take it slow and make sure the bike is handling properly. I doubt you can get the suspension on this bike to do anything dangerous but I haven't played with all the suspension settings.

Also despite what the book says the rear shock pre-load is adjustable. If you measure your suspension sag and it's say less than 1/2 inch you might take it to the dealership and see if they'll help you adjust the shock.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yeah, I was mainly noting it on bumpy roads when going slow. I think I am just spoiled by my Buell Ulysses which feels like a Cadillac when going over any bump.

I am about 200lbs, so I don't think I am too light for the 'softer' suspension recommendation in the manual.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Thanks Mac, I will try lowering my compression settings and check the difference. For curiosity sake, how many clicks out are you running for dampening and compression?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Thanks, will try those setting and go for a spin as soon as the weather clears up a bit....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts