Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i've had my street for a few weeks now and loving every second of it. My only gripe is the whistle or wining noise of the engine under 5K. I've asked around and people just keep saying its the noise of a triple. pretty standard. Question is, where is this noise coming from? and why would triumph not look at overcoming it?

·
Registered
582 Posts
I'm not sure but mine is winny as hell.

My step-father and i suspect that something is gear driven inside. But other than that speculation I have no clue.

·
Registered
267 Posts
That's just how the bike sounds. It's not something wrong with the bike.

A lot of people are very fond of that whine. It's very distinctive and, to me, seems to separate the triple from all the other big 4 makers.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Gotta love that sound

Why would Triumph want to remove such a beautiful sound?

The sound is just great, and all your friends will know when it's you arriving and not just another Jap Bike.

Personally I love it, just the other day a mate took by bike for a ride arround the block and I could hear him standing on the traficlight at a considerable distance, great, just great.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i guess i just find that it gets a bit tiresome on the ears during city riding. I guess it all depends how sensitive one is to that frequency. Personally i'd like to see it gone. Maybe i just need to ride up around past the 5K mark.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Add some Arrow Slip Ons without the baffles (or the 3 into 1) and you'll have an even more beautiful sound (low rumble mixed with high pitched engine whine) :D

·
Registered
366 Posts
I think it's rather cool. I've had a few kids around town in Honda's what not ask if it's turbo-charged.
It does, indeed, sound like a turbo charger. It's just the "wheez" of the intake. Triumph has the inlet bottle necked to (almost) death. Look under your headlights and you can see the (almost non existant) tiny intake hole that it has to suck air from. Opening that up would greatly help the upper end of the power band, but at the cost of low/mid range grunt. I actually prefer the power band right where it is.
Personally...I am fond of this sound, as it's unique to Triumphs (even my friend's '95 Daytona 1200 has it too). If you're friends start making fun of it...tell them that their Japanese sport bike sounds like an elephant farting through a Kazoo :D

·
Registered
904 Posts
I love that "chain-like whirring" sound, it's totally unique to the 675 engine. A Ferrari or Lotus has that sound as well. :)

Try wearing ear plugs - that's a good idea regardless.

Neanderthal

·
Registered
366 Posts
Neanderthal...I agree with you. Ear plugs are always a great idea. If I'm going on a ride of more than 15 minutes or highway at all...I wear ear plugs. I find it amazing how much calmer and relaxed I am when wearing them (as well as how much more focused I am). Plus the noise without them wears me out quicker (although refreshing for a short jaunt).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i really need to hear my bike with the arrow 3 to 1. Maybe that's the answer.

does anyone in melbourne have one? i'd love to hear it.

·
Super Moderator
4,643 Posts
The noise is a combination of the gear driven primary and mostly the gear driven counter-balancer. The BMW K1200S makes a similar noise as does the old K75. If you look around for bikes with gear driven counter-balancers you will notice that most of them make a similar noise.

The intake noise is the throaty growl there is no whistle to it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The noise is a combination of the gear driven primary and mostly the gear driven counter-balancer. The BMW K1200S makes a similar noise as does the old K75. If you look around for bikes with gear driven counter-balancers you will notice that most of them make a similar noise.

The intake noise is the throaty growl there is no whistle to it.
i knew someone would eventually answer the original question. So why use gear driven counter-balancers? is there an advantage of other types? Pardon my ignorance. what other types are there anyway?

asaf

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
So why use gear driven counter-balancers?
Immediacy of response. From a physics standpoint, a three cylinder engine is an interesting animal that needs very precise counterbalancing to keep vibration down.

If you were to use a chain, the crank and counterbalancer would not always be in perfect step with each other due to the small but unavoidable amount of slack, and you would be able to feel a little rocking of the engine at the start of acceleration, at throttle release, and probably various other times as well. That would be a minor nuisance on a big, lazy cruiser engine, but it would be downright awful in a light, quick-revving powerplant like this.

·
Super Moderator
4,643 Posts
Immediacy of response. From a physics standpoint, a three cylinder engine is an interesting animal that needs very precise counterbalancing to keep vibration down.

If you were to use a chain, the crank and counterbalancer would not always be in perfect step with each other due to the small but unavoidable amount of slack, and you would be able to feel a little rocking of the engine at the start of acceleration, at throttle release, and probably various other times as well. That would be a minor nuisance on a big, lazy cruiser engine, but it would be downright awful in a light, quick-revving powerplant like this.
Although there wouldn't necessarily be any slack when new there would be very soon because of wear. It would take very little chain stretch to throw the balancer out of time with the crank. They have to be very exact to prevent buzzes and other annoying vibration.

As for the whine there are ways to cut the gears so they are quiet (think gearbox) but those ways require more surface area which would mean a wider heavier gear which would rob performance.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts