Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hullo, All...

Just popping in from the Bonneville (real bike:D) side of the site to ask a question or two...

My girlfriend is in the market for a Speed Triple, as soon as her CBR sells.

Now, her budget is 3000 pounds, and we've found a few at that price.

Looks like she'll be getting a 2000-2002 955i. Found a black 2002 with 24000 miles, and a blue 2002 with 14000 miles. The black is obviously faster due to its colour, and comes with a full service history, while the blue has a few choice extras (Remus can, r&g bungs) and a part history.

My question is basically WHAT is considered "too high" mileage for a bike of this kind, in the UK? Any hints as to exactly WHAT she should be looking for? Any mechanical faults in bikes of that age?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
8,890 Posts
You are right about the black one being faster.....
Pics are allways a good thing too.
There are many examples of high milage 955 triples here , I cant be sure but I think there is one near the 100K mark .
Maintainance is everything.
Someone told me they would rather have an older bike that was used and had some miles on it rather than an older bike that was sitting and rotting somewhere not being used and only getting thrashed once in a while .
Somthing to think about

·
Registered
253 Posts
i bought this for £1200 in march full service history two new tyres 12month mot fair weather rides only (so far) 22k on the clock 1999 955i and i love it im 5ft 10" and stand flat footed i really think the 99-2000 is the best looking speedy and black is sooo much faster lol

http://www.triumphrat.net/kicking-the-tires/170015-rubber-mallet.html

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Super Moderator
8,890 Posts
Those are both nice examples .
I would say that the difference is the cans and the slider kit.
The black one has the upgraded brake llines .
Sliders and exhaust are personal preferance , so I would say get the one with the good brake lines and fit your own bits if you want. That carbon triumph can is a nice one though.

BTW that is a great suit, and she is very pretty , you are a lucky one .

·
Registered
364 Posts
Well I know it was a Tiger 955i but sold it with 52000m on the clock and it never missed a beat, ow except when the kill switch froze up at -5 just hope my 1050 speedie can be as good/reliable, must admit always had dealer service

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Those are both nice examples .
I would say that the difference is the cans and the slider kit.
The black one has the upgraded brake llines .
Sliders and exhaust are personal preferance , so I would say get the one with the good brake lines and fit your own bits if you want. That carbon triumph can is a nice one though.

BTW that is a great suit, and she is very pretty , you are a lucky one .

Yup, she's a hottie. :) Don't know what she sees in a mug like me!

Anyhow...
That carbon can is apparently genuine Triumph. Was that standard fitting, or optional extra? And is it better than the Remus can on the other bike?
So it's not a problem that one has nearly double the miles of the other?

By the way, what's the service interval for Speed Trips?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Service interval is 6,600 miles (or 10,000kms) for the new ones (2005+ 1050cc motors). I don't know for the older triples.

PS: Yes she is stunning and you are lucky.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts