Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the initial planning stages of a week long trip this summer. In the past, I did lots of long distance touring including a trip to Honduras and a 10 mile loop of the US. However, those trips were on a BMW R1150GS. My current bike is an '18 T120 that I have installed a fly screen and increased my seat height with a pad and sheepskin. Although my question is really really subjective, I would like to hear from others that have done consecutive 500-600 mile days on a T120. How was it? My biggest mile days will be El Centro to Las Cruces (I-8/I-10 yuck) at 575 miles. However, the next five days will all be around 500. Too ambitious?

I did a 650 mile day on a KLR that was set up perfectly for me. It is a legroom and hip issue usually that will limit days. That and having a good saddle. I think I have finally got the saddle right on my Triumph. I guess time will tell.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
I did three consecutive 500 mile days last summer, and all I added was a tail bag that acted as a backrest. I was surprised how comfortable the bike was, but I did make some changes because of that ride. I put progressive forks in and added cruise control. I am also thinking of adding the dresser bars with footrest pegs. I should probably get a more comfy seat, but that wasn't really an issue for me.

This summer I plan to do two 1000 mile trips, each in 24 hours (twice in 4 days). I will be riding with a group up to Idaho for my Association's annual meeting. They'll all be riding Street Glides and Chieftains, but I do just fine on my T120. The bike rides very well over distance, and I don't think you'll have a problem.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I do those miles on my Thruxton S and done a few week long rides with full gear on the back and have no problems at all, at 60 years old but the wool seat cover will help, I am sure you will be all good.

Ashley

·
Registered
94 Posts
This summer my buddy with a Ducati Scrambler Cafe Racer and I are riding 550 miles to Colorado Springs for a week. We have fuel stops planned once an hour to stretch our legs a few minutes. Neither of us have done a long trip before.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Does seem excessively ambitious. Of course you could cover 500 miles on the slab, but don't think it'd be much fun on a T120, or any naked bike for that matter.

I have done one (1!) 500 mile day on secondary roads on my Thrux and although I've toured a lot and have decent stamina on a bike, not gonna lie, it was a bit much.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Pretty ambitious, done some long rides over a given set of days, I found that it’s the time riding without stops that will make it bloody hard for you, 500 mile days, I’ve done them, but had lesser miles as a follow up then back for a couple of long stretches. If you can break it up, do some big miles then rest, do a few 5-6 hour days, rest then bang anyway at it until you get to the destination...

Mick

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
The only long trip I've taken on my Bonne T120 so far was an 8-day, 1400 mile loop from Southern California up through the valley to the central High Sierras and back down the coast. My first day was about 450 miles and while I wasn't particularly sore or anything, I was ready to get off the bike when I got to my first night's destination. One contributing factor was I was riding into a 15-25 mph headwind all the way through the valley (about 320 miles) so 80 road MPH felt like 100.

The rest of the trip was comprised of 200-300 mile days and I should add that I stopped for 3 days at my first destination and 2 days at the second to visit with friends. My take-away from the trip is I don't really enjoy 400+ mile days as much as more leisurely 200-300 mile days anymore. I also enjoy stopping to visit interesting places along the route a lot more than just riding past them on my way to a distant destination.

In a nutshell, the ride is just as important as the destination to me now, and I'll be planning future rides so I have the time to enjoy both. If I need to get somewhere distant in a hurry, I'll fly and rent a motorcycle instead of a car when I get there.

BTW, my bike doesn't even have a fly screen on it and I'm 19 months shy of 70 years old which may have something to do with the leisurely pace I prefer now. Life is speeding past me way too fast these days, and I'd prefer to mitigate that phenomenon as much and as often as possible.

Pete (who once rode from Spokane Washington to Whittier California (1250 miles) in about 19 hours)

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
One more note: I took off a throttle lock and installed a Triumph electronic cruise control on my Bonne just before that 1400 mile trip, and it was the best thing EVAR!!

Not only did it allow me to rest my throttle hand, but it relieved me of the need to constantly watch my speed. I rode up through the valley on CA99 and the CHP was apparently on a speed enforcement campaign judging by the number of their vehicles I saw on the road.

At one point, between Madera and Chowchilla, I rode past a CHP SUV that was just pulling back out onto the highway after stopping a couple of crotch rockets. I was doing around 80 as I approached, but I quickly slowed down to the posted speed limit (70) and set the cruise control. That guy stayed behind me for about 8 miles before he finally passed me and went on his way. As he went by, I waved at him with my throttle hand and he gave me that Hawaiian thumb & little finger salute back.

Those 8 miles alone made every penny I spent on the cruise control worthwhile, but I’ve benefitted from it countless times since then.

rePete

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I might alter my route a bit and stay around 400 per day. Those are very normal for me. Actually, it is at least 2+ hours from where I live just to get out of the heat (if I go west to the coast). Otherwise, it is about 400 north, past Vegas, to get out of hot (110+). It seems a coastal ride is more in order this June then yet more miles done in the desert.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
You make a critical point about the brutal effect of extreme heat on high mile days.

Some sensible posts here, but I've seen similar threads about how far is reasonable to ride on these bikes become "there's no right answer", qui es mas macho exchanges. Well actually, there is a right answer: 300 miles, give or take, with as little as possible on the slab. :grin2:

If you're going to ride 500 miles days in a row on the interstate in 100+ degree weather, you're better off parking your bike, renting a cheap motel in the desert with broken aircon and paying a woman to flog you. At least the center of your tread won't be worn out.

·
Registered
288 Posts
This how I roll:
Triumph nylon bags, Givi Tank bag and extra Givi backpack on seat. Since this picture I changed to the Triumph Long haul screen (the Dart didn't cut it).
Cruise control is great! I cruise at 75-80. Bluetooth helmet for GPS directions and tunes.
NH Toga pipes, Ikon shocks, Brembo front rotors.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
First thing is get your mind right. Second thing is you do a lot more mileage on your first day then you will second day. Third thing is eat a huge meal at 2 o’clock 3 o’clock in the afternoon. Why because eating at 3 o’clock is a lot better than eating pork rinds & sucking down beers at 11 o’clock in a hotel room without a hot supper. Doesn’t matter the bike what matters is your mindset and how will your bike is geared for the trip! In the words of my friend Newt, enjoy!

·
Registered
26 Posts
And most importantly get one of those diaper vest you can saturate with water and put on underneath your jacket. that will save your butt in the hot sun. they only last about 70 miles so at 70 miles stop take a break re saturate your vest and get back on the road! Also, dump the windscreen. The lack of buffering induced headaches will be your reward. Merritt Island Florida to Helena MT in 2 1/2 days. Go figure.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sorry It wasn’t on a t120, but an ‘07 America.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
At 70 mph my KLR had just about reached acceptable vibes threshold. How you did 650 on one in a day is a feat. I did love the bike though.

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
At 70 mph my KLR had just about reached acceptable vibes threshold. How you did 650 on one in a day is a feat. I did love the bike though.
Mine was pretty smooth. I had install the Eagle Mike torsion doohickey (done at a tech day by Mike himself), and a 16 tooth front sprocket. Both items transformed the bike into a much better ride. Progressive springs in the front and as I said, a very firm Corbin with a sheepskin on top made it a mile eater. The biggest issue I had with the bike was crosswinds. It sucked!

·
Registered
256 Posts
This how I roll:

Triumph nylon bags, Givi Tank bag and extra Givi backpack on seat. Since this picture I changed to the Triumph Long haul screen (the Dart didn't cut it).

Cruise control is great! I cruise at 75-80. Bluetooth helmet for GPS directions and tunes.

NH Toga pipes, Ikon shocks, Brembo front rotors.

Doesn’t the seat kill your butt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts