Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

I am planning a long trip to the western USA for next year... it's quite a challenge to get it all together.. I am aiming for 6 weeks min and hoping for 8+. I've been gathering supplies and material... The Chain Oiler that was on my old bike, went with the old bike, but the guy had a bike vs dog and lost .. it occurred to me to ask and sure enough it's still there and I can have it!!.. awesome.. Just got a Big Agnes Park series bag and pad for more comfort and a 1/3 of the space my previous non-mc friendly setup was... :) Should get a Jetboil kit soon too, with pans etc..

The Tiger won;t need too much in the way of prep. I have decided to run with a chain oiler as the success of the previous one says a lot and that the bike went over 25k on the oem chain/sprockets... and it is very possible i will be doing some long gravel/dirt road sections and I know how good it is to be able to crank up the oil flow... My tent should be fine.. I have new boots.. TCX Infinities.. the old Oxtar Matrix's are kinds of tired after about 30k of use.. I bought a 1pc Stich.. in blue.. matches the bike.. LOL.. and a new Caberg Helmet, blue, as the old one was tired and had been in an off where it saved my face from major trauma...tyvm!

I have decide to forgo a tank bag in favor of tank panniers. I'll be able to move some weight up front, like water and fuel and the kitchen... the old ST was quite rear heavy on the last trip.. I was able to pick up a set of used Mountain Sun Panniers for less than I could have hoped for!

The last thing I need is a set of crash bars.. if I am going to be hitting the gravel roads then I will want them.. The ones form OZ are awesome but so darn spendy.. plus shipping.. I like the ones the guys from Poor Circulation are running with and they are a lot less money... Used crash bars usually don;t exist.. but if you hear of anything... :D

Thanks all...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sounds like a fun trip. I just bought my Tiger this summer so I am still exploring and finding good dirt roads to ride out here in the inland northwest. Keep us posted as you get closer to your trip, hopefully I can give some suggestions on good roads by then, maybe even ride together a bit.

As far as the crach bars go, I am still looking myself so I'll take any info you can get.

Keep in touch.

J-Dub

01 Tiger 955i (green)

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Jason,

Just a thought - instead of putting tank panniers on and raising the centre of gravity, how about making a metal frame round the front mudguard that will attach to the forks at the brake caliper mountings. That way you can attach the tank panniers, or a set of throw over panniers, to the frame and keep the centre of gravity low. Handling was not effected.

I did this on a trip to Scandanavia a few years back and we got two full size sleeping bags in them, thus freeing up space on the rest of the bike.

Here are a few photos:

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Didn't that make the steering a bit weird? You'd be increasing the rotational inertia quite a bit, as well as the unsprung weight.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Ian,

Considering I had those on, a tank bag, three panniers and a 4 month pregnant wife on, the steering felt weird anyway :D

It's the same as anything, you get used to what you've got and ride accordingly. 4,000 mile round trip with no problems.

Considering the legal implications with regard to having metal things sticking out at the front of the bike - it wasn't !! :rolleyes:

p.s. - if I hadn't taken the good lady I wouldn't have needed them, or two of the panniers. Make-up, high heels, dresses, 600 pairs of knickers, hairdryer, hair straightners, full length mirror.........the list was endless.

Me - one t-shirt, one pair of socks, one pair of undies.....you get the idea ! ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts