Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey i'm new to this forum, but I'd thought I'd share some pictures of a recent trip I took on my bonneville from Kansas City, Missouri to Sitka, Alaska. It took me about 3 weeks ( I took my time, and spent a few extra days at the bonneville salt flats.) Amazing journey, and meet many interesting folks, though I didn't see any bonnie riders out there. the harley guys are alright, but I want to ride with my flesh and blood. Hope i'll see you out there this spring

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Inspirational! I like the first photo - very fitting. Bonnevilles are good for long rides; you cover the same ground as a cruiser but just look so much better doing it! LOL

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Very cool pics. Any good stories from the road?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
What a great introduction to the forum. Welcome!

Looks like a blast. How fast did you get her going on the Salt flats?
Did you pitch a tent or stay at hotels along the way?

Looks like a great adventure.
As time permits, tell us a bit more about your journey and thanks for sharing your pics.
Best,
George

·
Registered
60 Posts
That is awesome!

More photos please and more info about your adventure.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Looks like a Davida 99 and Hyde or Mototwin silencers.
Great choice.
Rev counter upgrade would make a big difference.
Glad you can take three weeks off!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the welcome and all the comments. So here’s some of the story:

WARNING: this first part is a little background info, so if you don’t really care about my life (I don’t really know why you would) then skip over to the next part about my trip.

Background Info

I’ve been riding for about 3 years. I graduated from college with a liberal arts degree, had no idea what the hell to do with my life, (still don’t) so I bought a 71’ Honda cb175. Great starter bike for me, got to know her pretty well after every time I would take her out, something would break and I’d have to walk her home and try to fix it. After that I found a 73 BMW R75/5 in fair shape, but a fair price so I got that toaster tank with airplane wings. The next year I decided I needed to get outta Kansas City for a while so I made some calls and decided I would stay with a buddy in Sitka, AK. I had this crazy idea that I should ride a bike up there, but everyone told me it was the worst idea ever, since I hadn’t gone any more than 30 miles on a motorcycle at that point. I knew I couldn’t do it on either one of the bikes I owned with the condition they were in so I sold the BMW to finance a newfound love with the Hinckley Bonneville. I saw one listed on craigslist in Chicago so I figured the 8 hour drive from there to Kansas City would prepare me for the Alaskan ride. I caught a bus, bought it, and made it to Kansas City alive… Alaska or bust.

The Trip

I bought a ferry ticket in Skagway, AK for the 25th of Aug. I left Kansas City, MO on the 6th of Aug. I drove from K.C to Denver on the first day. It rained hard the entire day, but I had a lady friend that I was determined to meet, so I drove through the ****tyness all day. I’m young and dumb and didn’t have a full-face helmet or wind screen, so yeah, I was very determined. The stupid things we do for love. After a day or two the chemical imbalance wore off, and finally the road ahead became the important thing again. I said my goodbyes and got the hell out of Denver. The next days were beautiful, in fact, I had amazing weather all the way to the Canadian boarder. I decided to go through Utah and stop by the Bonneville Salt Flats (I had to right?) I met a crazy guy from New Jersey named Ralph. He had been camping out for a week waiting on the upcoming speed week and trying to get someone to clock how fast he could go on his kite board set-up. There was no wind so he didn’t really go anywhere. I didn’t get to break any speed records on the bonnie either because the salt was pretty wet. Latter on I was looking for a place to camp and meet a guy named Greg Waters who was staying in his R.V., so I decided to set up camp near him. We got to drinkin and come to find out, he and his dad Mike run the speed week there. He let me hang with him and all the old record holding old-timers the next few days, and I helped them set up the course. Great bunch of guys, Greg treated me like a son. I had to leave before they started racing to keep on schedule, which was disappointing, but I’m hoping to make it out this year. Next I moved through Idaho into Oregon. I met this guy that was camping out next to a river named Gerard. We got to drinking that night and he told me he had been living out in the bush north of Fairbanks for the last 20 years. This guy said he was an engineer and helped to invent the solar panel. He went on a big campaign around the country trying to promote alternative energy sources in the 60s and 70s, but no one would listen to him, so he got fed up and moved up to Alaska. He has lived in seclusion and was totally removed from any world events happening in the last 20 years. Got pretty drunk with him and talked about all kinds of crazy stuff. I got across the boarder with no problems (really glad I left the 12 gauge in Kansas City). British Columbia was beautiful for the first couple days, until I got farther up into the northern Rockies. It rained non-stop until I reached the ferry. Some days the temperature dropped to the mid-30s. I didn’t really have the best gear and I’m pretty sure I was hypothermic once or twice. One particularly cold, wet night in the Yukon Territory, I meet some Germans while camping. They had an R.V. and let me stay onboard for the night. I couldn’t understand one thing they were saying to me, but after a few beers everyone understood each other perfectly. That’s about it. I made it to the Skagway ferry with no time to spare and barely alive, but I’d do the whole trip over again in an instant. Maybe with a friend or two next time. Here are a few more photos, though I didn’t take many in Canada due to the torrential downpours.

P.S. I picked up the helmet off ebay for $20. It was a Czechoslovakian army green helmet from the 70s. Like I said I’m young and dumb and I gutted it out so I wouldn’t look like a bubblehead and painted it black.

Somewhere in Wyoming

the Girl that clouded my judgement

Entrance to the Salt Flats

Crazy Ralph and his dog Ruby

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

If you see a white Yamaha V-star on the road don't stop, or you might get stuck with this guy

Coming into skagway

Pic from the ferry

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Great story.
BTW..its OK that you don't know what you want to do. I have several friends with engineering degrees who thought they knew what they wanted to do for the last twenty years until their companies tossed them out due to a floundering economy. So much for well laid plans.
You are a cool cat and young only once.
Thanks for the inspiration as likely a lot of us here who would simply like to hop on our bikes and head south. :)
Best,
George

1 - 20 of 22 Posts