Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on a 2001 Sprint RS and it rides wonderfully except my trip odo resets everytime I shut the bike off. This makes it really hard to estimate my fuel consumption. Is there a user replaceable battery that stores the trip miles between rides? Some other problem anyone else has run into?

Dave

·
Premium Member
2,021 Posts
I had this problem on my '08. One of the fuses was blown. I can't remember which one, but check them first!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep that did it! I thought I'd check all the fuses before, but aparently not well enough. Thanks all!

·
Premium Member
24,388 Posts
Welcome

Hi and welcome to the forum TheWorm:)

You will have to explain that handle to us one day!
Anything to do with Tequila by any chance?:rolleyes:

Don & I ask all our noobs to please read the forum stickies, thanks in advance.

Enjoy the forum

cheers
DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks DaveM, the forum is great. I've now read the forum stickies

As for my handle, it's nothing special, just part of my last name, which is Wormus (but I do quite like tequila) :)

Dave

·
Registered
52 Posts
This is an old thread and I wanted to thank the forum for being here. My trip odo was resetting every time I turned the ignition off, and the clock was not displaying. Lo and behold, the 10A fuse was indeed blown. A new fuse restored the clock, I will see if the trip odo no longer resets on the next ride.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I finally was able to ride the Sprint today to test out the changes I made. Of course, the auxiliary 10 amp fuse blowing was caused by something and that something had to be fixed. I repaired the grip heater wiring cable from switch to its next connection (pink-blue-brown wires). Ohmmeter measurements of the Carling switch revealed that the "off" position wasn't really "off" for sure. I tweaked the contact piece so that there was more clearance on switch positions (rocker forward, rocker middle, rocker aft) between the contact piece and the high/low current contact points. Today's test ride showed the grip heater hardware worked as expected. Maybe the contact piece will deform again to cause a problem. I will alert the next owner to what may be a "feature" of this switch. Before then, I will continue to monitor the grip heater performance and report back if there is a new outcome.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts