Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love the trip meter on my new (to me) Sprint ST 1050, but the location of the scroll button down on the dash leaves a lot to be desired. It's hard to get to, making it dangerous to try and scroll through while riding.

I was thinking if it were possible to get to the backside of those three buttons on the speedometer, it would be very easy just to parallel another momentary switch with the terminals on the existing switch. That way you could put the new switch up on the left hand control cluster. I'm guessing though, that since this is the speedometer housing, it's not meant to be accessed.

Anyone ever tried to?

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Try the search function? It's been done for sure, but I can't remember who did it or which Sprint he had. (Fairly sure it was some flavor of 1050.)

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
233 Posts
If you feel like you are in danger if you take your left hand off the grip and push a button at 75 miles per hour then you should stick with driving a car.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Try the search function? It's been done for sure, but I can't remember who did it or which Sprint he had. (Fairly sure it was some flavor of 1050.)

Cheers,
-Kit
Kit's right, there's an existing thread by someone who very cleverly remapped the scroll button to the high beam flash button. It's been on my to do list for a while now...would find it for you but browsing via phone at the moment...

·
Registered
116 Posts
If you feel like you are in danger if you take your left hand off the grip and push a button at 75 miles per hour then you should stick with driving a car.
Point taken, it's a minor inconvenience, but it really annoys me. I wear quite bulky gloves that make it a hassle to punch the button accurately too. I'm keen to do this mod.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Todd C
At times our "search" can be hard to navigate.
Use Google instead: Enter (triumph sprint relocate trip meter button).

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Todd C
At times our "search" can be hard to navigate.
Use Google instead: Enter (triumph sprint relocate trip meter button).
Sadly the links revealed by the search are pretty useless as the pictures that went with the text are no more and the genius from Finland who designed this great mod is no longer part of the TRat forum

If anyone on here executed the mod before the important 'how to' pics went away, we'd love to hear from you!

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
No genius needed.

A thorough search finds these pics.

Trip1.jpg

Trip2.jpg

Trip3.jpg

This ought to be sufficient for someone to refer to. If it is not sufficient, then you might reconsider tinkering with the $$$ display.

In his post he modified his multifunction switch button box by adding another switch and then further modified it from a latching type to a momentary on by adding tactile buttons on a board mounted in the unit. Very elegant, but an easier alternative is to just use a momentary on switch and mount it wherever it is convenient. The last picture is an illustration of that method.

If someone is competent it should not be difficult to do using his picture to identify the connection points.

Continued searching finds this thread with alternate methods:
http://www.triumphrat.net/sprint-forum/196183-relocating-sprint-st-gt-dash-controls-2.html#post2129779

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Wow! I wasn't getting the email notifications that there was replies to my post. Thanks guys! I did do a search before posting, but I couldn't find anything.

The last picture is what I was thinking about, just putting a switch in parallel to the existing one. I even have the switch already, from a speedohealer that was on an old bike!

·
Registered
233 Posts
I apologize, I wasn't trying to be a smartass.
Although I have done it while rolling down the road, personally I don't feel the need to scroll through the info the computer gives, it's something I can do when I stop and get gas.
I already know I need gas and I know my mpg and I don't really care how long it's been since I last reset the computer. :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts