Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'd be happy if this was the only issue i have with my 76 T140V - but i think that with the help of people on this forum, at least i know how to fix (or have already) the others
a little surprisingly, the (43 yo) sticker on the speedo saying not to pull the trip knob is still legible, but the knob is usually reluctant to turn
is there a trick to getting it to function more reliably?
sometimes it will turn, others its less interested
thanks as usual
rory

·
Registered
95 Posts
Mine also 'catches' at the first attempt but always releases after a bit if jiggling. It was fully overhauled about 4 years ago.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Years ago I exchanged the original speedo on my T120R for a rebuilt unit. Subsequently I've had the second speedo rebuilt 3 or 4 times. Each reiteration has behaved just as Rory and Paul described, i.e. sometimes it turns easily and sometimes it's very difficult.

When it's really really hard to turn at a standstill I try turning it after I'm rolling. If at first I don't succeed I ride a mile and try, try again. Eventually it always turns and re-sets.

I chalk it up to yet another idiosyncrasy of our beloved rides.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
not serviced since i got the bike 2 years ago - who knows before that
i found a post on here that describes in amazing detail the rebuild of a speedo - it seems more difficult that an engine rebuild
was hoping there would be a 'simpler' process - maybe a parts breakdown
will i need to remove the bezel to get at the guts - it seemed so from the above post
thanks to all
rory

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes i tried the wd40 solution first a few moths ago - as i usually do with something that wont turn - it might have worked for a while, but no longer
was hoping to get a little further along the simple curve
thanks
rory

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Have you tried turning the reset handle backwards a little? I've got 4000 miles on my speedometer since it's been rebuilt and it's always been hard to reset the trip meter. After learning to turn it backwards just until the numbers start to move and then forwards I'm able to reset it every time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts