Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

not sure what I did or if it is just coincidence. After getting the '01 Adventurer running and taking for a few rides, I learned about the temp light ground issue.

I followed directions, found the correct connector, grounded the #2 pin main harness side to a spot under the tank. used a meter to check continuity to ground, it was good.

reattached the tank, reassembled the headlamp, and all the parts I still had off the bike like the secondary (?) airbox between the carb airbox and battery, and misc trim bits and bobs. Everything looked great, time to go for a ride and see if the temp issue is fixed.

I try to start, it sounds like the battery is dead. Recharge battery just in case (I rode for an hour the day before), nada. All I get is clicking on the starter solenoid.

Now all the trim comes back off, check the wiring harness for shorts or damage, pull the headlight and check my work there, everything looks good. Still all I get is clicking.

Battery charger system (shumacher) says its 100%, took battery to autozone and they tested it, they said battery is good but there tester is calibrated for higher cranking amps. Try the 'start' option on the charge system, still only get clicking on the relay.

try tapping the relay with the end of a screwdriver, and the starter. I did get a strained attempt at starter rotation, but then nothing.

Tried a heavy jumper line between the starter solenoid and the starter connection post, couldn't get anything. tried the jumper between the starter connection post and the positive side of the battery, still nothing.

My deduction is the starter is fubar, but I'm not sure how that could be with only 5000 miles. It did get a lot of use while getting this thing restarted, but I tried to be gentle and would only engage it for brief periods.

Any other thoughts or suggestions before I rip the carbs off (and that damn airbox) AGAIN, and see if I can get the starter rebuilt or replaced?

It sounds like a weak battery, but everything says the battery is fine!

One more note: if I have it in gear and rock it, I can hear an armature spin. I can't tell if this is the starter or the alternator

·
Premium Member
3,834 Posts
Check the battery connections and the battery to engine ground wire. Sounds like a bad connection to the starter. Have you tried to push start it? You can also use a volt meter to trace the voltage from the battery plus through the starter circuit to ground. the only place you should see a big drop is across the starter motor.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Found out that my starting issue after the temp fix was coincidence. After retracing everything I did and checking for a short somewhere, I decided I had a starter issue.

I got a replacement denso starter for $106 second day air, I now have an effortless start!

I tested the old starter on a bench, it would only work in a certain rotational positions.

So I'm running again, ad I fixed the temp light issue!

Thanks again for all thhe suggestions and insight, this sight has been a huge help getting this running!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts