Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the way back from the usual weekend ride at the Black Spur, we swapped bikes. The only bikes I have ever owned or ridden are a hornet250, enfield 500 and the 99 S3 I have now. So it was an experience riding something with clip-ons which I have loathed for ages. I have had the S3 only for a year and I have been taking it real easy. Pilot Road tyre on the back is still unscrubbed about 4mm from each edge. ...getting there slowly so these impressions won't apply to most of you knee draggers I guess. its a 2003 SV1000S.

Pros:

1) the riding felt like doggystyle only I m not the one usually kneeling. The footpegs felt lower than the S3s but the clip ons were way lower making the whole setup wierd. the bent over position made me feel like I was in the corner way before the corner. It gave me so much confidence that I was leaning over more than I ever have. But he also has Pilot Powers on so I guess it may be a combination of both giving me confidence.

2) stuck behind cars in the hills and in general traffic, it doesnt matter which gear you are in, it doesnt complain. 2nd,3rd or 4th, doesnt matter. Few times I thought I was in 3rd when actually it was 4th. Also realised few days later my S3 has a 41t sprocket on the back from previous owner so opinions might change once I go back to 43T.

3) the speed is deceptive. I thought I was doing only 90Kph while it was on 120KPH. it just builds speed ..uhmmmm deceptively.

Cons:

1) back and wristache after a 45 minute ride. friend reckons my body has to get used to the position. His took about 2 weeks.

2) once in the corner the bike felt heavier to bring back to upright. the S3 really is effortless in comparison, more flickable.

3) engine sound? (not the boomy exhausts). the engine doesnt feel as lively or thrilling as the S3s. no hair raising ,spine tingling induction roar.

I m getting new Metzeler M1s fitted tomorrow to replace the pilot roads so I hope they give the confidence I need. Then I'll see if I want the clip-ons from the Daytona(I used to hate clip-ons with a passion)

All up it was fun trying a different bike. Just realised what they mean in reviews when they say the S3's smooth or light in the corners until you try something else.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I agree. M1's are a good tire, but the M3 will last at least twice as long, while giving you all the grip you could want.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the main reason I am going for the M1s is I get them for 400$ fitted. The Pilot Powers and the M3s will cost me 520$ and 510$.

Pilot Powers seem to be really popular but I really need that extra 120$ this month.

agree. M1's are a good tire, but the M3 will last at least twice as long, while giving you all the grip you could want.
when you say twice..... you REALLY mean twice? :cool: Then the M3s are a better propositon..uhmmmmm

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On 2007-01-18 06:33, s3hooligan wrote:
Can't go wrong with the Metzlers...I swear by 'em. Haven't tried the M3 but the M1 is the best tire I've used thus far.
how long do they last you?

·
Banned
5,284 Posts
that's the beauty of everyone riding sumt'n different... we can all swap off when we go on rides together. :-D The SV is a great bike, one of my buds has the exact same year and that thang will run. :wink: :-D

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I've got 4200 miles on the rear M3, and it looks like it'll be good for at least another 2000. The M1 was worn past the wear bars at 3500. So maybe the M3 is worth the extra $ at first.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
On 2007-01-18 07:14, Speed3 wrote:
I've got 4200 miles on the rear M3, and it looks like it'll be good for at least another 2000. The M1 was worn past the wear bars at 3500. So maybe the M3 is worth the extra $ at first.
oh boy....there goes the 120$. how do I explain this to her. hmmmmmm :-D

thanks very much for the input Speed3 :)

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Cool report. The riding position sounds a lot like the TT, as does your experience with the handling. Even though it's a lighter bike, the close-together clip-ons can make turning into a corner seem harder. The leverage of the S3 bars make it effortless.

I like riding different bikes whenever I get the chance. Anything with two wheels can be fun in its own way and you just have to appreciate it for what it is, whether it's a cruiser or a standard or sportbike. It also helps me, at least, get a better handle on riding dynamics - handling the Redhead's feet-forward, laid back America I have to be more aware of what the bike's telling me and what my body's telling me in regard to balance, lean, etc. Because it's not familiar, my brain is not on autopilot, and when I get back on the S3, I have a better feeling for it as a result. Sounds weird, I know.

So, how did your friend like the triple?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
On 2007-01-18 08:30, R100Pilot wrote:
So, how did your friend like the triple?
well... we stopped at one of the lights and I heard him shout ..." you have a nice bike duude"

but he prefers his fairings and V-twins. He's smitten by the new Duke 1098 currently. he cant believe how light the S3 is.Also commented on how my almost square pilot road shocked him when it suddenly tried to fall over in the middle of a tight bend.

forgot to warn him about that :razz:

I like riding different bikes whenever I get the chance. Anything with two wheels can be fun in its own way and you just have to appreciate it for what it is, whether it's a cruiser or a standard or sportbike. It also helps me, at least, get a better handle on riding dynamics
I would love to try one of those harleys with swept back bars. Just cant get my head around how you handle them in the bends. it'll be an experience.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Talking about trying a HD, or more so a cruiser of any brand, the handling will knock you on your butt. The forward foot pegs make you feel like you're going to fall over if you just lean the a little bit. Those take some time to get used to if you've only been riding sport machines.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Euro's got it exactly right. It _feels_ like you're gonna dump it. Unlike a sport or standard where your weight is basically still on your feet (where it is most of the time, for those of us who still walk upright and have opposable thumbs, with a cruiser, your feet are pretty much just there to work the pedals and you've to to get used to the weight bein' on yer butt. In the case of the America, at least, the bike will handle well - you just have to trust it.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
They probably stopped producing the naked version because the fairing maybe blocks out the painful ear-reverberating chainsaw noise at certain highway cruising RPMs.

The SV is a great bike overall, but could be better with an upgraded suspension. It just felt really vanilla to me when I was riding my father's 03 SV.

·
Registered
276 Posts
On 2007-01-18 08:30, R100Pilot wrote:

I like riding different bikes whenever I get the chance... Because it's not familiar, my brain is not on autopilot, and when I get back on the S3, I have a better feeling for it as a result. Sounds weird, I know.
Not weird at all. I'm something of a bike whore myself and jump at the chance to ride someone else's bike if they offer it.

on 2007-01-18 05:26, batistuta wrote:

...the bent over position made me feel like I was in the corner way before the corner.
I've ridden the current-gen SV650 and I too found it a little difficult to judge corner entry at first, tending to initiate lean-in a moment too early - it had been a long time since I had last ridden a bike with clip-ons. Not a big deal, just something that would require a little re-adaptation, and it's a fun bike in any case.

On approaching a turn, I like to scoot forward and sit up as I feel it helps me get a better sense of speed of approach and distance, then at the point of turn-in I'll lean and shift my weight to the inside. The Speed Triple's wide upright bars combined with the otherwise close-coupled sportbike ergos seems to work better than any other bike I've ridden for that technique, with the Aprilia Tuono coming very, very close. Makes sense, since both are adapted from sportbikes.

·
Registered
969 Posts
The local track racers ride a lot of SV's, most of the MSF teachers ride em at the track. Seem to be a good bike. My wife thinks she want's one... We'll see.

If I had some money, I'd be a serious bike whore, I'd have anything I could afford. I like trying different bikes, it's fun and so far has always made me appreciate speedy so much more.
06 SV650S, didn't care for it too much, but didn't really push it (a friends bike that wasn't broken in) 06 GSXR 600, loved it, but missed the torque of the triple. 06 Busa, felt like a limo. Of course the harley, which I thrash on repeatedly, I like it for what it is. and a ZRX, which was ok, but didn't really leave an impression on me.
Next, I'd like to try a Honda CBR 600RR, I think I'll be looking for a track bike after this year.

·
Registered
692 Posts
My girl rides a 06 SV650, Its been modified with a high mount LV carbon pipe, K&N intake and a PC.
The suspension needs to be upgraded to GSXR forks and new shock.

I really enjoy riding the bike, Lite, Nimble, Not extream pucker factor, But I can get the front up pretty easy, It corners nice and predictable, The stock tires suk, It is not the "S" version with clip-ons and faring, We put on some black 7/8 dirt bike bars that would fit perfect on the speedy, The SV650 is a good classic nekid.

If I didn't have a street legal Supermoto, I would consider this as a commuter.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My name is Dave and I AM a bike whore, LOL. I use to race cars and found out you can buy a bunch of bikes for what one race car costs just to run a year.
I have a SV1000 naked and I really like it. It has some mods, higher bars, corbin seat, twin yosh. pipes, power commander etc. It will do 140mph easy and lift the front wheel as easy as anything I have ever ridden, bottom line it's just fun and can ride all day in comfort after the mods, stock it was torture. And it sounds incredible.
As far as a H/D it's like a barkco-lounger on wheels. Not bad just differant. The Triumph has the most charactor and is definatly "sexy".
Some other stuff I have CBX,RZ350, KTM supermoto, CB1100F, H/D Ultra classic, SR500 street tracker, and just picked up a fat tire TW200. I like the weird stuff I guess. I like them all but if could only keep one it would be the SV I think.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I always liked the SVs. to me they remind me of my last bike, a 1200 Bandit. Both bikes get/got little attention because they were never the latest, greatest, fastest, or lightest, but they were very very capable, and comfortable bikes and in the case of the Bandit had an almost unlimited aftermarket supply.

Mike

1 - 20 of 20 Posts