Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 00 Sprint ST i want to put an exhaust on and the dealer said it's a labor intensive (removal of plastic, tearing into throttle bodies, etc)....he told me 02 and up is a simple plug in deal, but not on this...True or not? :mad:

·
Premium Member
24,397 Posts
We need more information than that sport:).

However if the question is you want to install a racecan on a 955 Sprint and upload an off road tune and the dealer said it is labour intensive then that is a load of BOLLOCKS.

Installing a can or uploading a tune does not involve fairing removal and would take no more than 30 minutes total.

HOWEVER if it is a 1050 Sprint installing an aftermarket underseat exhaust IS labour intensive and does involve fairing removal.

Uploading the tune is a 5 minute job and some dealers don't even charge (most do) but not much.

cheers,
DaveM:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I have a scorpion can I want to put on...The dealer told me 02 and older are not able to be uploaded quickly and easily...I had no idea 02 Sprints were any different.....

·
Registered
891 Posts
Their not. Triumph used the same Sagem fuel injection ECU from 2000 to 2004. The big difference in the tune is that from 2002 on they used a 'closed loop' system that used and o2 sensor to help with fuel to air ratio adjustment. But it was only used by the FI during idle. The upload procedure should be exactly the same.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Figures....

Now, one more question..If you have the offroad tune downloaded, do you need to have the new exhaust on it when it's done? In this situation, I had trailered my sprint 240 miles round trip only to be told the above, plus the fact they claimed the exhaust needs to be on it when its done..True or is this just a basic download? Might have to make at trip 100 miles in the other direction to go to a different dealer :rolleyes::mad:

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
Tune Download

Nope, they can download the tune without the exhaust being fitted. What they couldn't do is assure that the tune loaded correctly and there were no glitches by running the bike.

The bike would run, but if there were hesitations etc, they couldn't say for sure if it was the tune, or the standard exhausts impact on the tune.

Rexx

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Sounds like the Service guy at that Dealership is either an idiot, or trying to run you off.

The bike will run best after the TOR tune when you have a less restrictive (i.e., K&N) filter and a flow-through exhaust. The exhaust is the biggest factor, though.

The ECM has no way of knowing what is connected to the bike that isn't electric, and very few things that are electric. So the map update doesn't depend on what is there. However, as mentioned above, the mechanic will want to run the bike afterward to make sure it works. And...

One more thing. The '99 - '01 bikes featured an ECM that had tuneable fueling. So, when you find a wrench that is worthwhile, make sure they do the map update, then run the bike with an Exhaust Gas Analyser hooked up. They should tune the CO levels to specs.

I had the above done to my '00. Fuel economy and felt horsepower went way up. Of course, since I had bought it from another fellow, I figured I'd have it checked out.

Get this. My bike (an ST) with a Triumph Carbon TOR, contained a Daytona w/ stock can tune. Never have figured out the how and why of that one.

Has anyone mentioned the FPR modification to you?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Ive got a 2000 sprint rs an have done the regulator mod an got an after market can on it

wud be interestedin any other cheap upgrdes/mods too:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts