Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've been asked by a number of people if we can make a removable baffle system like the Ixil cans that go in to each of the 3 cans from the back end so that you can take them out quickly and drop them back in just a quick...

Well, now we have, they now bolt in from the end of the can and can be taken out in around 2 minutes for all 3 - hopefully quick enough for you!! :)

As default we will ship the cans with one baffle in the mid pipe as before but if anyone wants the extra baffles just say so on the order form and we'll include them. For the moment I will make this a no cost option to members here (though it may go up in the future as it took 9 hours dyno time at $75 an hour to get these perfectly tuned to the cans and the bike!!)

·
Registered
703 Posts
:thumbsup: Big thumbs up to you Wolf! I have the Ixil's that I'm very happy with. Got them used for a pretty good price. This was an area that I felt Ixil had a better design orginally, simply because it was very nice to be able to remove or add the baffles very quickly and easily without removing the exhaust at all. In all honesty, I really don't use my baffles anyways!

Kevin

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
That is great Wolf. It is a super good way to go about it. Truthfully I put my IXIL ones in my tank bag when I was out and about and if I ran into the mounties I could put them in right there and then and then without problems.

Good improvement.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Trident Exhaust Baffle Question

We've been asked by a number of people if we can make a removable baffle system like the Ixil cans that go in to each of the 3 cans from the back end so that you can take them out quickly and drop them back in just a quick...

Well, now we have, they now bolt in from the end of the can and can be taken out in around 2 minutes for all 3 - hopefully quick enough for you!! :)

As default we will ship the cans with one baffle in the mid pipe as before but if anyone wants the extra baffles just say so on the order form and we'll include them. For the moment I will make this a no cost option to members here (though it may go up in the future as it took 9 hours dyno time at $75 an hour to get these perfectly tuned to the cans and the bike!!)
Hey Peter, did you run the dyno on the bike with the new baffles installed? I am interested in new pipes, but a noise violation in my area will cost me $300. Also, is there a US distributor of your pipes? I'm in a hurry to upgrade my bike, plus I'm not good at converting pounds into dollars :)

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
we tuned for the new baffles on the dyno yes

You can order direct from us and pay by card in US $ and we'll deliver in 2-3 days so no long wait
You don't even need to do a conversion - just click on the US flag in the top left corner of our site and it converts everything to $ for you before you even look at it...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Is that statewide in NC?
Actually, I live close to the SC border and we ran into a problem in Greenwood SC...
Towns can set their own noise ordinances, and the fine attached to it. You may have heard that Myrtle Beach is now ticketing loud bikes in order to stop the annual bike festival.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Performance

we tuned for the new baffles on the dyno yes

You can order direct from us and pay by card in US $ and we'll deliver in 2-3 days so no long wait
You don't even need to do a conversion - just click on the US flag in the top left corner of our site and it converts everything to $ for you before you even look at it...
Thanks for the information Peter. I'll check out your website tonight. I can see that that I'm going to be a poor, happy man on a blue ST 1050 :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Actually, I live close to the SC border and we ran into a problem in Greenwood SC...
Towns can set their own noise ordinances, and the fine attached to it. You may have heard that Myrtle Beach is now ticketing loud bikes in order to stop the annual bike festival.
Thanks for the reply. We are in Hickory, NC and do occasionally get into SC. From the discussion here, I think the sound level would be OK with Tridents on my '08 Sprint, but not so sure about my wife's Hypermotard with the Termi race exhaust.

I thought Myrtle Beach closed down the annual Spring bike fest. No matter, we usually head in the opposite direction to the mountains.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Peter, thank you for shipping my pipes in such short order; I appreciate your courtesies.

The install was challenging, and with a bit of help from my bench sander, I made a decent install. The pipes look and sound great. No, really, they look and sound GREAT.

When I ordered, I did not request single silencer baffles. I would really like a triple set. Can you accomodate me? Please advise; thank you.

Best,
Preston

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
450 miles on my 08 ST. I installed the Tridents and an 18 tooth sprocket. PDX Motorcycle burned the tune, changed the oil and filter, and set me free. WOW. I could't be happier.

·
Premium Member
2,021 Posts
Open the pipe is around 95 dB
With the normal single baffle in it's about 82 dB which is legal
The three baffle set up in the end like this also makes it around legal noise by the BSAU test - 82 dB but you can take them in and out more easily
That's a pretty good drop. Do you know what the TOR muffler is for dBs?

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Wolf, have you tested how many decibels with the normal single baffle AND the three end baffles? The less attention drawn to my shenanigans the better ;)

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I couldn't find a pic of the baffles, so they arrived today and thought somebody might want to take a look. My plan is to do some testing with various combinations/numbers of baffles.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts