Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just got a set of Trident Slash cuts from my dealer and I am pretty disappointed in the quality. The tips look like they were never finished. I have been talking with Peter and he explained to me that the blemishes on my exhaust tips are due to the fact that they were not ordered as "Polished". Attached are pics of my tips. Please post pics of yours so that I can compare quality. Also if you could let me know if you ordered the "Machined" cut or the "Polished" cut when you ordered.

My feeling is that these pipes look like they were never given a final cut. Please let me know what you think.

Here is the link to my Picasa sight so you can view larger pictures

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
And as I said by PM if you are unhappy just send them back for a full refund or get them polished up locally - I don't think anyone needs to be Warned!

I did also ask you to to let me know what you wanted me to do if not take them back and you did not bother to reply so perhaps you would care to do so now?

·
Registered
325 Posts
IMHO thinkjerm was considering if he was over reacting with his disappointment in the finish. I didn't think he was warning anyone - at least thats how I see it.
I personally think he is not over reacting. I think the slash cut looks great, but if i had paid extra for something and then received a finish like that I would be dissapointed.
Was he warned the finish might be considered substandard by some?

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
As the post is titled warning I thought that was a fair comment
He never spoke to me as he ordered through a dealer who was given the option of polished or plain machined finish and the dealer chose not to polish so I cannot comment on what he expected.
Everyone else who has received them (about 30 all told) seem to be very happy and have said so on this forum but as I said if he is not happy we will happily take them back.

If we make any more slash cuts in future I will polish them all and then there will be no question of finish - sometime choice can be a bad thing I guess

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
He never spoke to me as he ordered through a dealer who was given the option of polished or plain machined finish and the dealer chose not to polish so I cannot comment on what he expected.
Everyone else who has received them (about 30 all told) seem to be very happy and have said so on this forum but as I said if he is not happy we will happily take them back.
Peter,

I admit my dealer never gave me an option as to if I wanted "Polished" or "Machined." Personally I prefer the "Brushed" look of the "Machined" tips. My concern is not with the finish of the tip, it is with the cut of the tip. It looks like they stopped the blade multiple times while cutting through the tip creating a step. As far as shipping it back it would cost me $100+ USD and I am not in a position to absorb the return shipping and not end up with an exhaust.

The difference between a "Machined" or "Polished" finish is demonstrated well in a post that was started earlier. Scroll Down to post #9

·
Registered
138 Posts
thinkjerm, I see your point for sure. It is not at all difference between polished and machined but the cuts as you mentioned. I really like my Tridents but feel that higher standard welds and strict quality control would make for a really top notch exhaust. Perhaps the economic climate and challenges of a small business make price point a key variable. All in all I'm happy with my exhaust choice and hope you will be too. I went for a really nice hour ride this afternoon just to listen to the satisfying tone.

Cheers

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree with thinkjerm. A machine cut should like the picture below. You can see machining marks, but should not be able to feel the marks with your fingertip or see dents and knicks.

The tips that thinkjerm has posted do not look they have been finish cut at all, but rather had a rough cut and then roughly finished with a heavy grit belt sander. This can be seen by the directional marks on the tip rather than the typical smooth swirl given by a sharp fly cutter.

·
Registered
20 Posts
pic of my slash cut tip ends received this week...

I agree with Stealth94 - IMHO it's a 'finish' quality control issue. The alloy shouldn't be scored.

Attached is a pic of my tri-tips - I took this yesterday in bright sunlight so it's not the best, but 2 of my tip ends have a small amount of black goop or something on them - but I figured it was polishing compound or something that wasn't polished off completely. However, the alloy is smooth otherwise. Not a deal breaker for me, because I figured I would have to clean 'em up anyway soon enough.

I know it's a pain but you can probably have somebody local level them off for you and repolish them for less than the cost of sending them back to the UK.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Well whilst we generally hear lots of positive feedback about Tridents and Wolf always seems like an amenable chap; I do have to say on this occasion that I agree with the not so positive comments about the finish... not being polished is one thing, but the machining marks, etc in the ends of those are unacceptable IMO - I would be unhappy with that kind of finish on an assembly at work, never mind a piece of eye candy such as the end of an exhaust, a QA escape I would suggest - we all have those on occasion and it in no way means a product is bad.... Hell my bike is in the dealers at the moment on warranty, but it does not mean I don't think Triumphs are great bikes. Perspective I guess.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
If you take them back to the dealer you bought them from he can send them back to me for you at no cost to you. I am then quite happy to polish them up for you and send them back at my cost.

Alternatively, get them polished locally and send me the bill and I'll cover it. At the end of the day we get the machining done by an outside company and ask for a plain machined finish which is what all the original slash cuts - done as one offs for people here - went out as and it was from these that others asked for them so we did them the same...

We only work by recommendation so customer satisfaction is very important to us so if you are not happy we will fix it - I would have preferred that you had dealt with this when you picked them up from the dealer - as you must have seen them and said yes, I will take these when you collected them - but never the less, we will sort these out for you...

·
Registered
264 Posts
If you take them back to the dealer you bought them from he can send them back to me for you at no cost to you. I am then quite happy to polish them up for you and send them back at my cost.

Alternatively, get them polished locally and send me the bill and I'll cover it. At the end of the day we get the machining done by an outside company and ask for a plain machined finish which is what all the original slash cuts - done as one offs for people here - went out as and it was from these that others asked for them so we did them the same...

We only work by recommendation so customer satisfaction is very important to us so if you are not happy we will fix it - I would have preferred that you had dealt with this when you picked them up from the dealer - as you must have seen them and said yes, I will take these when you collected them - but never the less, we will sort these out for you...
Hey, you cant ask better than that.

Sometime you have issues with products, and its the mark of a good dealer when you get a response like this......some just fob you off and muck you around til ya disappear up your own exhaust pipe.

Still think it would be cheaper and more convenient for both parties if a local polisher could be found to clean em up and the local seller to fix up the costs....saves shipment costs and would make everyone happy.

The last part of the comment, sometimes people don't inspect the products prior to leaving the store....other things on the mind, trusting nature...whatever....personally I give everything an enema before I leave the store, even if it has to be un-boxed and un-wrapped......and do you know the response I get from the dealer...never nice....they make you feel awkward because your double checking em....F'em....been bitten toooo many times.

But all up...good client service.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Great offer Wolf, this kind service and willingness to help customers leads to great consumer loyalty and recommendations. Based on your response to Thinkgerms issues, i will buy an trident system from you when i have saved up! :D
My view from the post photos is that a QC check from your polisher suppliers is needed, if i was you i would not pay for such seemingly shoddy work. They need a kick up the arse. :mad:

·
Registered
8,112 Posts
IMHO the pipes probably should not have left the factory without the sanding/polishing to remove the step. I wouldn't like to have to sand my new pipes to get a decent finish,

but,

Peter (Wolf) has always been a reasonable person especially for a manufacturer/supplier (and in another country) and is always more willing than most to do the right thing by his customers. This case appears no different.

thinkjerm if you can't/don't want to do it yourself return them to your dealer. Warning is a bit harsh IMO

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Peter always is the one to put his neck on the line when it comes to the forum and i have to give him credit for that. No other Sprint exhaust manufacturer has a rep who monitors the site and takes problems head on despite that maybe this set got overlooked and are a bit under-finished for a shipped product.

I think a reasonable deal was reached in the end.

·
Premium Member
2,021 Posts
Wow, those tips look horrible! I would be very upset upon receiving them as well.

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
Caddydaddy,

I think you are a bit late mate as it is well sorted .

And as well as that Peter has said what he will do to rectify the issue so it does not happen again.

End of story is happy, good result and than you Peter.

DaveM:cool:

1 - 20 of 59 Posts