Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I have a 96 trident and the seat has a small age split in it.
I have been looking around on Fleabay, and have seen several seats for S3,Trophy etc.
They all look similar, but not identical (S3 has a seat strap, Trophy looks more banana shaped.....if that makes sense)
What seats will fit the Trident ?
Also...is there a seat that would INCREASE the seat height?

Thanks in advance

Roger

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Blimey Rodger not many folk want to increase the seat height..! I'm a lanky toe rag so no worries for me but they are quite tall/big bikes anyway, unless your that big that people feel compelled to call you sir..

From what I've seen all the seats will fit, the Trophy seats have more pillion padding and a different profile for the rider because it's better suited for touring I presume ? I've fitted one on my Sprint Sport, all the others are pretty much the same I believe ;-)

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
The only differences I know of are the bungee hooks on the Trophy seat and the cowl mounting holes on the Daytonas & Speed Triples. AFAIK, they all fit the same. One possible exception to this is '99-up Trophy seats, but I've never been able to confirm what was changed or whether they interchange with the rest.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Aha...so the consensus is that the seat bases are the same but contour may change seat to seat dependant on the foam and attachments...I think!
So I should be OK to go for similar aged seats from the models mentioned above.

Mot...getting back to your question....at 6ft 6 and a 37 inside leg, the Trident is a bit on the short side for me, not really an issue, but I do look a bit daft when waiting at junctions.........

Thanks all for the fast inputs....if anyone has any other inputs let me know.

Roger

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Daveforty...you have just stopped me bidding for a seat. I will call about that tomorrow and see what the price sounds like.

Thanks!

Roger

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Aha...so the consensus is that the seat bases are the same but contour may change seat to seat dependant on the foam and attachments...I think!
So I should be OK to go for similar aged seats from the models mentioned above.

Mot...getting back to your question....at 6ft 6 and a 37 inside leg, the Trident is a bit on the short side for me, not really an issue, but I do look a bit daft when waiting at junctions.........

Thanks all for the fast inputs....if anyone has any other inputs let me know.

Roger
So as i was saying RogD..eerrr Sir !!.....

You probably already have but upping the preload on your shock should keep the bike a little taller for you & after market shocks are a bit longer than stock normally, even better some come with adjustable ride height ? worth bearing in mind should you ever need to change it at all ;-)

Cheers
Mot

·
Registered
826 Posts
i think that the first generation models have a different base, ie the 750 and 1000's
if the seat panels are square at the back, then i have been led to believe that it is different.if the seal panel is sculpted at the back, it should work for you
for example:
first generation with square seat panels

second generation, with sculpted seat panels:

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
fwiw, my trident had some sort of pattern on the vinyl, but everything else appears to be a unpattered cover. The daytona and trident seats swap and I presume everything from the T3 series will fit technically.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
So I have tried to do some work to understand the inputs. It seems my bike has at some stage been altered, as it is a 96 (N Reg), but seems to have a 98 rear end, as follows, and similar to the rounded rear of Daytonas second image
[/url][/IMG]
The rear of a 96 should be far squarer than this image and more like the one below, also N reg.

It also seems that the seat on the trident has a cross hatch pattern in 98, but plain in 96, and my seat is plain.
It also has the wrong tank logos, as the 750, I understand, should have the TRIUMPH logo filled with red, mine is just plain silver, and the seat side panels have no logo for the Trident.
What all this seems to suggest is that the Trident seat is universal across the years, and as far as I can tell, the Trophy seat is identical, and apart from the strap and screws, the speed triple of the same kind of vintage will also fit.

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Also...is there a seat that would INCREASE the seat height?
If you are fleabay shopping keep in mind that a corbin (IMO) lowers the seat height on the ones I have tried, and I don't particularly like them for that reason. Also lowers you bank balance much more than a stock seat.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts