Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted about this some time ago, but concluded that the oil was coming from my Scotoiler. I removed it, but still have oil on the garage floor. It seems thick and black - could it be just over zealous oiling of the change, or have I got a leak from somewhere?

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Hi screen, being so black and dirty looking I would hazard to say that it is dripping off the chain, although, I have been over zealous with the chain lube before but not had it drip off like that. I use the Motul stuff which is really sticky.

If it were a leak, I would go for the gear selector shaft oil seal. Have you changed the chain and sprockets lately? If so, did you change the oil seal?

Cheers,

Roden

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Roden. The engine oil is new and clean in the bike, but this is really dirty. I guess that could be the crap it picks up on the way though. The oil level is down on the min mark, and I don't think I've done enough miles for the motor to have burnt it, so that points to a leak.

I've never had the chain off.

Is the gear selector shaft oil seal replacement an easy job?

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Thinking about it a bit more and having had a look at my bike, if it were this seal the leak would be really visible. Just have a look see if it is from the gear shaft and maybe the oil is migrating back.

The other place could be the counter shaft oil seal, although I haven't of anyone having this trouble.

If it is the gear shaft seal, MotT3 has a really good description of this procedure on his website. If the chain and sprockets need doing, best to do them at the same time along with an oil change.

Maybe a good de-grease will help pinpoint the source of the leak?

Cheers,

Roden

·
Registered
826 Posts
the front sprocket cover has a gasket which may have failed.when a chain is changed, the oil has to be drained, as the cover also holds oil at the bas of the dipstick.if this gasket has failed, engine oil could be being lost into the front sprocket area where it is mixing with old chain lube and general grime, giving you this sticky black product, emerging from the front sprocket cover.

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
I've been a bit slap happy with the chain lube before and had it leaking out in just the same spot...I wouldn't worry too much..just monitor it for a while and see, it could just be as the bike gets hot more of the sludge is moving ?? On your next oil change you could always take a peak.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all of your input. Having changed the oil not so long back, I don't really want to get involved with replacing it just yet, so I will go with your suggestion MOT.

Not least because I really need steering head bearings, so that will be the next front (and maybe carbs out again to fix the throttle adjuster).

Stand by for posts relating to head bearings - first problem, how to support the bike while I remove the forks...

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I use a race stand to support the rear and then a hydraulic trolley jack with a block of wood placed under the sump. This will lift the front end and it will be stable. Best to undo any high torque fasteners first though eg: axle nut, fork clamps etc.

Cheers,

Roden

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had a quick go at that Roden but it seemed very unstable to me... maybe I need to play around with the position of the wood or something.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Yeah, you need a small block that just fits on the flat section of sump at the front. I find it plenty stable enough to remove the front wheel etc. Just don't go jumping on the bike or something...

Cheers,

Roden

1 - 10 of 10 Posts