Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently ran across a Trident basket case. I'm trying to decide whether to get it road worthy again or part it out & sell it. Can anyone give me some suggestions? History on the Trident? Is it a, "rare" find? or was the trident the type of bike Triumph wished they had never invented? any info at all would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
13,271 Posts
Welcome.

Depends on the year. First and last years are significant in that they were the first and last. Don't recall off the top of my head what year the Tridents swept Daytona, that's a significant year.

Tridents are/were fine bikes when properly tuned and maintained.

They are not rare, but I hate to see complete bikes parted out, personally.

With a few pix and more info on general "first glance" condition of the parts, and list of what is there (bodywork, seat, engine parts, lighting, pipes, carbs, etc), I could give you a fair estimate of the bike's value.

Wild ballpark guess on a basket case is impossible, especially without so much as a picture.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
My take on the trident is that it had some bad timing in the market. The twins had an established fan base. When they (the twins) were introduced they were at the top of the desireable list because they were fast and handled well. They later set world speed records. They were very successfull on the race tracks even though the rules were scewered to benefit other brands bigger bikes that couldn't compete in heads up even displacement classes so they had a sort of legend. There were a lot of kids that got their first ride on their uncles/dads/cousins Triumph twin that had the memory of what a cool motorcycle it was planted solidly in their brain. When Honda came out with the 750 four cylinder, it kind of set everyone else on their ears. It was so much faster and smoother (even though it handled like a high chair on wheels IMO) that the public nearly abandoned the other brands for a big bike. The trident was an improved motorcycle over the twins in that it was faster and smoother than the twins but is wasn't as fast as the Hondas and sold far fewer units. The styling on the first tridents left a lot to be desired in a lot of peoples minds. That was rectified on later modles but you know what they say about first impressions. The tridents never developed the following or the legend the twins had. There are a lot of people that grew up desireing a twin because of its mistique, far fewer the trident. Many are now in position to fulfill that desire. Guess which is the most sought after. Being a Trident shouldn't be a detriment, in fact, some feel they are more special because you see fewer of them than the twins. I think parts are less in demand and cheaper too. Go for it.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Wanted to piggy back off the initial question if okay? NOT a basket case, near all original 1974 T150V (last of the right shifters).

Ran into a fellow that has a 1974 T150V, second owner, under 7,000 original miles. The owner doesn't want to sell, but needs to sell; (getting on past riding age) asking $3k (from me, guess he likes me).
Bike has been in a rental storage since 2003 so it needs typical TLC for an old brit bike. I have a 69 TR6 (slowly learning the love/hate relationship), but have no knowledge of the Tridents, except wouldn't mind adding one to my stable. It is all basically original, the tank has been repainted (rattle canned) so should be fairly easy to get the original 'look', needs a new 'cut off' switch cover, has new correct style exhaust, has good title.
I've searched online (Triples forum), just wondering if a Triple would be an interesting investment to enjoy, or more of a pain in the arse as far as classic bikes go?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Thanks GP.
I am partial to the twins, but seeing the Triple (in near complete condition) seems tempting. Didn't have a battery with it naturally.
Guess I just like "Triumphs"...

Bryan

·
Super Moderator
13,271 Posts
Like I wrote in my book, it's cheaper to buy a K-mart battery, a set of plugs, a gallon of oil, and a can of carb cleaner, then go to the guy's house, clean the carb & swap out the battery, plugs & oil, and see if you can get it running.

If not, you've only lost about $60 and you can probably talk the seller down a bit more than that, or get him to patially pay you back for the parts (battery & plugs at least).

P.S. take a can of starter spray & a can of gas with you, as well as an empty gallon jug and long piece of 1/4" hose to drain off the old gas.

·
Registered
411 Posts
l am a member to the Mighty South London tommc. We have only one member that brings out a meriden triple on club runs, we get up to forty bikes on runs and shows. They are a rare bird at gatherings here and have a rep for needing to be in tip top fettle. Is it a reflection the laziness of our members and the abundence of twin spares that nobody wants them?.

·
Registered
177 Posts
GP,
That was my initial idea for this guy (he's a little odd on things, but a super nice guy). It is in a rental storage that is maybe 6 x 10 or 6 x 12. I offered to take it to my garage and get her running for him, he knows I'm not the type of person to "take off with his bike", but he's still skittish about it.
All the oil is down in the sump, and the typical things you mentioned would just be easier to have a go at in a decent work area. Who knows, he may change his mind... I want to see the thing cleaned up and running at the least vice collecting dust in storage.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts