Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Just change my pads, the disc are really not smooth, they are probably close to being done.
New pads are in and I find the front wheel very stiff, I can turn it but it needs 2 arms.
Is that normal ?

·
Registered
126 Posts
No, not normal. Most likely the pistons are covered in crud and therefore not retracting properly, leaving the pads pushing against the disc. In the worst case they might be pitted with rust and need replacing.

Take a look and see if they will clean up.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought so...They have been with worn pads for the past 6 seasons, outside, did not see rust, but very dirty. thanks

·
Registered
126 Posts
Also, clean the pin that hold in the pads.

Note: I have a Trophy 900 so I am not sure what brake calipers are on the Trident. But most pads are held in with a pin and this can get dirty and corroded. A less-than-perfect pin can cause the pads to stick. If you can't clean then sufficiently you will need to replace them.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes there is pads, they were not bad but i'll do a deep cleaning and add a winny bit of antiseize.
thanks

·
Registered
699 Posts
Biggest problem is corrosion under the dust seals
Rebuild with red rubber grease in the seal grooves. Rubber grease mixes readily with brake fluid so no problems with contamination.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The heavy friction turned out to be the inner pads(touching the pistons) were a little bit to big on one side and were touching the caliper body, causing the pads to stay in the same position (not retracting fully).
It was very little that I grinded, less than a 1/16 of an inches.
Bought those pads very cheap on Ebay 5 years ago, $45 CAD.
Should I've taken pictures...
thanks for all replies, tips

1 - 7 of 7 Posts