Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brought a set of trident exhausts the othe month.. not too impressed with the over all craftsmanship. Being is the piping industry I picked these things up straight away. The link pipe is my biggest concern. Why 90 degree joints where used i will never know. There is no even flow split of the exhaust gases. Most of the gases run straight through the main part of the link pipe and exit out the right can leaving the other 2 cans to remain clean. Only when i am giving my sprint a working over does the left can become slightly discoloured, and the center can well... that still looks brand new. I have has to fab up a new link pipe altogether with flowing bends to evenly split the exhaust gases. The exterior of the three cans are very good. The cores not so good.. with dags still left inside the core from when it was cut from the friction saw. Which looked like someone had cut too short then deciding to add abit more to make up the lenght. While the workmanship looks like it came from the bodgy depths of someones backyard shed the over all appearance and sound from the pipes are good. I still wonder wot kind of testing these pipes have had.. flow testing.. bench testing.. etc etc.. not worth the 399 pounds that i paid.. D&D make a great set of pipes for the 05-current sprint... trident exhaust maybe u need to take a page from their book... and revise ur link pipe and sack the person who cuts the cores.:cussing::cussing::cussing:

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
auzzyss, welcome to the forum.....I think.:confused: Everybody has their own opinions and preferences and should be free to express them. While there is no requirement for anyone to qualiy their opinions, we generally consider unfounded/substantiated opinions as just that....one person's perception.

If you took the time to do a search on the subject you would find that the mid pipe design has been discussed extensively and that Peter Wolf has responded to questions regarding the design.

One thing you need to keep in mind is that a free flowing three can design will cause a drop in the low RPM end of the torque curve.

Your comments re the 'dags' (burrs?) is correct as I have noticed them also. Do I think they should be there? No. Are they a major flaw? No.

I do have a question. You seem to insinuate that the Trident design has not had the benefit of flow bench development and Dyno testing. Again, a review of the many threads would have told you that you are wrong to make that implied suggestion. But, while we are on that subject, are you planning to do flow tests and dyno runs for your design? If you do, would you consider sharing them with us?

D&D does make good exhausts. IMO, their current offering for the 05+ Sprint does not have the visual appeal of the Trident. but that is one man's opinion. Since you have such strong feelings re the Trident, and recommend the D&D, do you have any factual information to justify your statement that they are "great" and maybe let us know what your defintion of "great" is?

The reason I extended a qualified welcome to the forum is that your entry is a bit different that what we usually see. New members are encouraged to introduce themselves and read the new members sticky. I hope that we can get to know you better, and that the rest of your posts have more substance to them.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
auzzyss,

Welcome to the forum.

DaveM and I view the site's AUP and the above stickies as required reading for all new members. Also a nice introduction so the rest of us know who we are talking to before jumping in to the fray.

As far as your comments on the Tridents, that's fine. What's one man's fish is another man's fowl. Using the search function you will find that the Tridents have been picked apart and discussed many times over.

Also, here we strive for something solid to base judgments on for different products. Aesthetics aside, Wolf does one thing that the vast majority of exhaust manufacturers don't. They do enhance performance. Can you get and share dyno runs of D&D systems on our bikes? I know the rest of us would like this info.

Don

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
The midpipe, midpipe, the midpipe...... I thought Peter put the last nail in that coffin by offering a the new midpipe design with all cans now. Didn't he just post that not to long ago?

I can appreciate the opinion of the op but if he also checks out the "what exhaust do you Have" poll the majority of aftermarket exhaust on these bikes is either the TOR or the Trident with a smattering of 2 Bros and a handfull of IXIL. The reality is they all have their niggley characteristics.

Midpipe and installation on the Tridents (midpipe has been changed and installation also has been made easier by threads like OnD's how to)

2 Bros length issue (fixed) and questionable looks

IXIL loud beautiful but absolutely terrible add ons. Tail tidy and undertail are terrible.

The point, pick your poison. Oh and Peter is the only manufacturer of ST exhaust who is here continually supporting the product.

my 2 cents

·
Registered
355 Posts
Oh no, someone spoke out with a negative against Tridents? Should we tar and feather him now or just ban him from the board. (That was written with tongue placed firmly in cheek as it seems anyone who has a less than positive attitude towards Trident pipes gets immediately blasted)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Wow, I agree with RickyT.

I LOVE this forum but this thread is disappointing. God forbid soemone's humble opinion may get in the way of a sponsorship dollar. Yes there are posting rules, which I am sure everyone appreciates, but lets not favour editing over freedom of speech, ideas and opinions.

There are a lot of you guys who sure do know a hell of a lot more than others (me included) when it comes to ST's and bikes generally. Lets not get nasty though.

I visit here regularly but don't post often. Had to on this occasion.

Matt

·
Premium Member
24,231 Posts
Sprinta,
I don't see that there is much substance to that comment in this thread.

Where is anyone getting nasty?:confused:

It is not a good post the OP to introduce yourself to a forum with to start with.

It is not polite to bust in somewhere guns blazing and not introduce yourself for starters, if you do on any forum you can expect some responses to be responding along similar lines.

Also you havent been here very long, do a Trident or Wolf search there are lots of threads where both positive and some very negative posts.

I don't think your post is very well balanced especially in the light of the long history of several years of posts on this subject.

The only thing Don and I seek to do when there are negative comments about things or overly positive ones is to keep them factual.

DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Strikes me as there are about 5 or 6 OVERLY (OK maybe more)regular contributors that have discussed everything previously.

I am sure people log on to contribute and actively discuss not just read the previous discussions of a handful of poeple that live, breathe and eat this site and behave like they have been there and done that all the time.

This is my ONE and ONLY criticism as I have learnt a lot from you guys, just don't don't like when you get all high and mighty about your precious previous threads.

Live in the now! :D

·
Premium Member
24,231 Posts
Strikes me as there are about 5 or 6 OVERLY (OK maybe more)regular contributors that have discussed everything previously.

I am sure people log on to contribute and actively discuss not just read the previous discussions of a handful of poeple that live, breathe and eat this site and behave like they have been there and done that all the time.

This is my ONE and ONLY criticism as I have learnt a lot from you guys, just don't don't like when you get all high and mighty about your precious previous threads.

Sprinta you have not adressed any of the comments I have made.

You will also find that the 5 or 6 people you refer to are possibly 5 or 6 of the most helpful folks here and no one is high and mighty about previous threads.

What does that mean exactly?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Hi Auzzyss. Is your sprint a charcoal grey one with the titanium cans and were you on the snowy ride? If so, I met you in the brumby pub carpark on the saturday night. Post some pics of your pipes for everyone to see.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Sprinta,
We do live in the here and now. We do have discussions on various topics. The contributors have made a lot of comments based on fact. If you would get off YOUR high horse and do a little research instead of flapping you stem cells you would realize this.

Once you do a little looking around, figure things out, actually contribute and say something meaningful just maybe the ones that do and have done these things might take you seriously.

SO far in this thread auzzyss hasn't contributed anything except his own perceptions which is hardly anything I would take to the bank. Also everyone has stated that he is entitled to his opinion but keep it real and factual.

If you had been around a bit longer than you have you would see that any time someone says something like, "These tires are garbage." The first thing that pops up is "why". What's it doing/not doing? What are your pressures, setup, dry or wet??? Grousing to be grousing doesn't fly here. Back your statements up with facts.

Grousing the first post without even exhibiting proper etiquette and a nice introduction will start red flags flying here. Deal with it.

Don

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I am sorry you're not happy but at least you say they look and sound good which is what we promise they will. To be honest that is the main reason people buy exhausts - to look and sound good - however, the mid pipe design has been done to death - whether you like the way we did it or not the blunt truth is it works - it adds more power (we did dozens of dyno tests in development on many designs) - and we've tested against TOR and Ixil now (not DD as they only just came out) and beat both on power - the flow characteristics are by design and work well - the main flow is through pipe one and as load and revs increase 2 and 3 kick in - if it were even from idle you would have no back pressure and no mid range power!

However, as has been mentioned we have adapted the design slightly from November to reduce the size of the pipe work and even up the flow somewhat - this was purely in response to a few people on this forum who wanted more even flow so they didn't have to clean their pipes as often - after weeks of R&D we came up with a new design and size that kept the power gains and managed to give 1 and 3 evenly and 2 kicks in at higher revs - this also has the side effect of a couple more bhp in the mid range.

A search on the site before blasting away would have told you this - or even if you had emailed me to say you had concerns I could have talked you through why the design works and increased your knowledge from years in the pipe industry because it obviously is somewhat lacking in gas flow theory!

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Oh nicely and positively dealt with.

My exhausts turned up last night (see separate thread) and I for one, am very pleased so far.

Have a great day everyone:D

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hey Dave/Don is it possible to delete this thread? Kinda dissapointing, call me Switzerland, but I agree with most of what everyone said and it seems like a thread from the Department of Redundancy Department...............

I too visit as much as possible and don't post much, but this?...

·
Premium Member
24,231 Posts
Hey Dave/Don is it possible to delete this thread? Kinda dissapointing, call me Switzerland, but I agree with most of what everyone said and it seems like a thread from the Department of Redundancy Department...............

I too visit as much as possible and don't post much, but this?...
S42ST Anything is possible, but I think some positive things have been said and some erroneous thinking clarified.

We do not lightly delete posts or threads, Super mods on this site have wide powers but seldom use them all.

Lets see if it can stay civil, it is pointing in the right direction at present.

Also Peter (Wolf) has had the opportunity to respond to the OP.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.