Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For those interested...

I have just fitted the aftermarket Trident Silencers to my Speedie '18.

I fitted a TEC x-pipe when I bought Thumper in 2018 so have no footage of the standard 'cat' with either exhaust.

This is a comparison between the standard Silencer notes vs Trident Silencer notes at 3 stages, starting, idling and revving a bit.

Note: The video below does not capture the increase in volume, but it is very significant!

I would not remove the baffles if you have an x-pipe, there is no need and it would attract unwelcome attention here in the UK and possibly throw the ECU too much with lack of back pressure and affect performance at the very least.

Piece of cake to fit, although I did it as part of a conversion to mid-controls so have not got a time, but suspect around 30 minutes for both silencers.

I had to remove the RHS header so fitted new gaskets to the header at both ends. The silencer gaskets are a bitch to get the clip fastened and the gasket crushed on from new so I would try to be careful with the existing ones and use them and get them tight.

Both videos are from a warm engine having performed an ECU adaptation before each as recommended by the technician at my Triumph dealer prior to shooting the footage.

Any questions, fire away, I'll do my best to answer and once this rain stops I'll taker her for a spin and get some nice photos to add to the photo section :)

Finally a shout out to Peter Sorrell at Trident, he answered all my questions very quickly and I had the exhausts within a few days from ordering, shipped on next day delivery in the UK once he had made them in polished Stainless Steel finish.

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
I, too, have installed Trident silencers on my '18 Speedmaster and am extremely happy with performance and sound. Major difference over stock pipes. Lighter as well. Install was fairly straightforward. Would recommend these to anyone.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update
The Trident silencers are too loud with an X-Pipe IMHO YMMV. I added S/S wool to the baffle under guidance of the manufacturer, and this dropped by 6db on tick over and 10db @ 2000rpm to 108db from 118db without the wool.

I have now refitted the standard pipes, the Trident were too 'hooligan' for me

I could have refitted the cat and that would have been OK for sound, just that the flow would be too restricted in comparison. I like how free it is with the X-Pipe.

I will pop them on ebay for £330 ono + UK shipping.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I went with the British Customs Triumph Bobber Turn Out Tips Stainless Slipon $324.95 on Ebay and I like the sound of them just not the looks. The add says bobber but they fit the speedmaster. I wish they came in chrome so it would match the headers but they don't. British Customs makes the headers in stainless to match but I don't want to spend the money. I was going to do the x-pipe but they are loud enough for me. Still can't hear her when I ride with harleys. I ride with a couple of people who own Triumphs and they like them.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went with the British Customs Triumph Bobber Turn Out Tips Stainless Slipon $324.95 on Ebay and I like the sound of them just not the looks. The add says bobber but they fit the speedmaster. I wish they came in chrome so it would match the headers but they don't.
You could polish them, they will come up like chrome with a bit of effort on a soap wheel, probably 30 mins per side max!

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
I went with the British Customs Triumph Bobber Turn Out Tips Stainless Slipon $324.95 on Ebay and I like the sound of them just not the looks. The add says bobber but they fit the speedmaster. I wish they came in chrome so it would match the headers but they don't.
You could polish them, they will come up like chrome with a bit of effort on a soap wheel, probably 30 mins per side max!
What do you mean by a "soap wheel"?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have just had the TEC x-pipe fitted to my 2019 Speedmaster. The pipes are the standard Triumph stock ones, and the difference using this configuration is amazing!
There is now a proper Triumph old fashioned "growl" from the bike!
I am extremely pleased, and the difference in the bike is amazing.
It is much smoother in acceleration, more responsive to throttle control and a much smother overall ride.
The only "downside" is on the closing of the throttle....due to less back pressure, the bike doesn't slow down as quickly as with the cat!
The TEC x-pipe was fitted by my local Triumph dealer. I wanted to fit it myself but after making a start and having watched several videos, but none specific to the Speedmaster, it was obviously more complicated on the Speedmaster, and being a novice, decided to let the profession all do it!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
What do you mean by a "soap wheel"?
a polishing wheel with polishing soap, sorry an old term from my days in a gear / engineering factory

something as simple as: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Toolzone-Cleaning-Polishing-Wheels-Compounds/dp/B002ZO1Y3G/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=polishing+wheel&qid=1569525017&s=diy&sr=1-4

but a bigger wheel makes lighter work of it if you have a bench spindle (grinder) and you can get more abrasive soap (compound) for SS
Thank you for clarifying. Appreciate it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same setup on my Bobber (TEC x-pipe and Trident slash cuts). I found that wrapping the baffles with fiberglass helped a lot but, more so, using PCV really cut down on the racket when decelerating while keeping the rumble and burble. Took a while for the smell of burning fiberglass to settle down but all’s good now.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I should have my TEC X-pipe today and can't wait to install it. My bike is already on my lift, cat out and everything is ready for the install.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I installed the x pipe on Saturday the only thing I ran into was the forward controls needed to be removed. Not a big deal but took a little time. I put the stock exhaust back on and took the bike out for around one hour ride. I don't see any difference in sound or performance due to having the stock exhaust on. Not too loud about the same as the cat in with the British Customs pipes. I may put the turn out British Customs pipes back on and see what they sound like but for now I like it. Due to it being 37 degrees out I did wear my Nolan full faced helmet which gives a lot of wind noise. My half helmet has less wind noise and it was my first time out with the Nolan this year. The job took about three hours and the you tube videos helped a bit but I couldn't find much on the speedmaster. Don't forget if you do the cat removal you will need T55 torx.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have put over 1,000 miles on my 2018 Speedmaster with the X pipe fitted and the stock exhaust is back on. I do like the sound but a couple of things I would recommend. One check the clamps that hold the exhaust to the x pipe as all of them loosened up. These clamps are very light and all four needed to be torqued after around 200 miles. I will keep an eye on them going forward but one 10mm nut per clamp, come on Triumph. Two you need to remove your forward controls. Not a big deal but takes some time. One other thing that was a PIA was getting the radiator out of the bottom connectors. They are rubber mounts and with the top and bottom radiator hoses connected the radiator doesn’t want to move much. I don’t have any backfiring when decelerating and feel no difference in the engine braking. My fuel mileage has not changed and the engine seems to run the same. I can’t feel any difference on how the engine pulls but I do seem to hold the gears longer before shifting. That could be due to the sound I am hearing from the engine. I have removed the cat from almost every bike I have owned and this is the first bike I didn’t need to adjust the fuel and air on. If you do the mod I would leave three to four hours, maybe more. My Triumph Thunderbird took many different maps to get the fueling correct. Good luck

1 - 15 of 15 Posts