Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've done a bit of searching about in the forum, but need a couple of points clarifying....

I am looking to add an aftermarket can to my Sprint ST 1050, I just can't help myself ;)

1) Is the Trident can road legal in the UK ?
2) Do I have to download a new tune ? Will I really notice a difference (riding less than 4 years and of limited ability :rolleyes:)
3) Will I still have overburn ? Pops and Gurgles I mean, because I do not want to lose them, I love that noise ! Would a new download tune kill them off ?
4) The ixil pipes look great in the few pictures I have seen, but the site seems to say that only the ones with the black end cones are available, which IMHO don't look as good.

Any advice gratefully received !
Thanks
Happy Friday
Neo

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Neo, the best person to answer your questions is Peter.

http://www.trident-exhausts.com/page-silencers_sprint-st-1050.php

I am pretty certain I have read that they are road legal in the UK. I do not recall if that was with/without the insert.

You do not need to reload a new tune, but it does make a difference. If you do not load the TOR tune, the bike will run leaner so you should be aware of that and monitor your temps initially. Another characteristic of a Trident on the std tune is that the deceleration burbbles will be louder. Most reputable dealers will load a TOR tune gratis......unless you are a stranger to them.

The TOR tune will not eliminate the burbbles. They are a function of the SAI. The SAI will continue to function with a TOR tune unless the tune is one of those meant for a non-SAI country.

·
Registered
503 Posts
OnD-

Just installed the pipes this week and my local dealer charged me 1/2 labor ($45) even though they know me well. Oh well.

The dealer did not know about a TOR tune but looked at their manual for a Sprint with my VIN and loaded aftermarket exhaust with SAI (Code 20106). (My VIN is in the 244 range) I'm not 100% confident in them so could you advise if this is the TOR tune?

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
I've been further 'breaking' mine in today.

High 30's temp wise (6 degrees Celcius!) and still loving them, but with out the baffle in, they ARE loud (well to my sensitive ears then:D)

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Dude you're going to love them. I thought the factory tune was passable - if a bit soft - until I had my stealer download the TOR tune. That really woke up the bike, most noticably in the all-important mid-range. Throttle response is almost dirt-bike like (not that it was anything short of great with the stock pipes & tune).

CHEERS!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Just installed mine last night and the bike sounds incredible! I have the baffle in. I agree with Ratboy 1050, I think they would be too loud when have it opened up. But is like a drug listening to the bike move up through the range and bonus my burbles are back.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Neo - yes they are road legal as supplied - they are made in the UK so are fully BSAU compliant (with the baffle in) and whilst you don't need the tune I would recommend it as it really improves the bike!

You will notice the extra power and the better sound which makes riding so much more fun and you'll still get the burbling on deceleration

We also have a couple of sets left on our sale so if you order now you'll save £50 just for being a member here!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Neo - yes they are road legal as supplied - they are made in the UK so are fully BSAU compliant (with the baffle in) and whilst you don't need the tune I would recommend it as it really improves the bike!

You will notice the extra power and the better sound which makes riding so much more fun and you'll still get the burbling on deceleration

We also have a couple of sets left on our sale so if you order now you'll save £50 just for being a member here!
Wolf and all, thanks very much for the answers, I think that has made my mind up, got to get Christmas out of the way first though. Cheers. Neo

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Dude you're going to love them. I thought the factory tune was passable - if a bit soft - until I had my stealer download the TOR tune. That really woke up the bike, most noticably in the all-important mid-range. Throttle response is almost dirt-bike like (not that it was anything short of great with the stock pipes & tune).

CHEERS!
I am still grinning:D

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Just installed mine last night and the bike sounds incredible! I have the baffle in. I agree with Ratboy 1050, I think they would be too loud when have it opened up. But is like a drug listening to the bike move up through the range and bonus my burbles are back.
Notsofast, I have to admit to not having put them back in as yet.

They are loud though, but then I am on the bike and they may be marginally better to passers by (or else they will just appreciate them more?!:p:D)

There is a charity ride next weekend at a local dealer, so everyone else can have a comment on them!

Cheers

John

·
Registered
14 Posts
Trident exhaust tune

New Tridents on the way for my 2006 Sprint.:D

I called my local dealer today to book in for a tune and he was not 100% sure of which to use.

My bike has the lovely popping on deceleration so I assume it has SAI?

I am not sure if it has a catalytic converter but I do know that it was originally destined for Belgium before being shipped to NZ.

Would 20106 be the right choice?

Thanks in advance for any help.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts