Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to share my exhaust search and experience... My stock 2008 america like most of you is way quiet.. Like a sewing machine... Wanted more sound.. Listened to hundreds of video clips.. Tors? Bubs? Trident? Etc.... Considered even making something... I finally decided to buy some trident mufflers... Well i just put them on yesterday and holy crap they rock! Now i have a motorcycle... I was amazed at the sound of them.. The video clips do no justice.. A lot louder than i thought.. But not real loud although matter of opinion. The tors sounded quieter to me so i went with the trident for following reasons....
They are only about 100.00 more than tors..
Polished stainless, no chrome issues ever..
I believe lifetime warranty...
Removable baffles...
And best for me... According to them my bike is carbed and as long as i leave baffles in i dont have to re-jet.. Thats a savings in itself.

No, i am getting nothing or promised anything to write this, i wanted to share because i am elated with the sound of my bike now.... I would say if stock pipes were a 1 on scale of sound.. 10 highest... These are around 6.5 but thats my ears and opinion... Thanks... Chuck

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I was amazed at the sound of them.. The video clips do no justice.. A lot louder than i thought.. But not real loud although matter of opinion. The tors sounded quieter to me so i went with the trident for following reasons....
They are only about 100.00 more than tors..
Polished stainless, no chrome issues ever..
I believe lifetime warranty...
Removable baffles...
And best for me... According to them my bike is carbed and as long as i leave baffles in i dont have to re-jet.. Thats a savings in itself.
Chuck
That's a great tease. Can you do a justifiably quick vid with sound?
I've had stainless exhaust (cocktail shaker style) and they turned a lovely amber to gold color near the header joint and back a bit.
If your jetted for the TORs you may not need to change jets, but jets are only a few bucks and you might as well jet for the baffles being removed :grin2:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
honestly, would be way to loud I think without baffles... as far as a sound clip, I don't have a way to, I have heard a few on internet and truth they are way deeper and louder than the clips... try trident exhaust on facebook, a couple decent clips there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my carbs have not been jetted, they told me I don't need to rejet.. yes jets don cost much, putting them in would..

·
Registered
371 Posts
Just because they told you that you don't HAVE to does not mean that you shouldn't.
You have reduced back pressure, your bike will now be running in a lean condition.
Once your headers have turned blue and your spark plug electrodes have turned white, you have overheated your engine and possibly caused damage. Extended use in this state will reduce engine life.
But hey, its your bike.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I appreciate your comment, however I feel if they designed the pipes, tuned them and know what backpressures etc are created.. and they say it does not need to be rejetted, I would think they would know what they are talking about... I will keep an eye on things for sure, it is a concern, but I will say I can feel a difference in the bike, seems to be a bit quicker and smoother actually.. would it do that if it was running lean? also I am removing the air injection system next weekend and that might help a tad...

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
chuckster57, the stock configuration tuning is going to err on the lean side. While I may not have said it as forcefully as Gargoyle, I do agree with him.
Going to aftermarket exhaust (or even TOR's), you will benefit from increasing the jet size just a bit. Removing the air injection bits will help reduce the heat of the exhaust and reduce any popping or bangs you may hear on spirited deceleration(also associated with a lean condition).
And, while jets do not cost much and not a particularly difficult job to replace, if you are paying someone else to do the work they will charge accordingly for their time.
Hope you get many miles of good riding and enjoying the Trident mufflers.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
With the baffles in place the pipes are still providing the correct back pressure to run on the stock tune - its an incremental increase in power and noise and they are actually less free flowing than the TORs (which ALWAYS need a re-jet) - we've had these pipes on hundreds of bikes now for up to 8 or 9 years and seen no ill effects whatsoever - as Chuckster57 says - we design them to work the way we say they will - that means dozens of hours on the dyno, hundreds on the road, with gas analysis and plug chops etc etc until we are happy with the design and then release them for sale. It is quite safe to keep the stock jets with the baffles in.

Having said all that, it is an easy job to change them, that anyone can do without paying a mechanic - takes less than an hour, and I would do it just to get the very best out of the bike. Just as with the EFI version TuneECU has made it a free and easy job to re-map - so why not? Also, doing jobs like that yourself builds a lot of confidence; most of us get nervous that we'll mess it up or that its all too difficult to basically unscrew a few parts in order and then screw them back up in reverse order.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sounds good.. I will say I currently get almost no popping now and hope after the sai is removed that will resolve.. I would like to know then, if these pipes work without rejetting.. but might do better with a rejetting.. would you be able to tell me what size jets would be best for my bike.. seems wouldn't be much larger than what stock is and I don't want to go to big... if its any help I don't really wanna remove the airbox.. maybe use an oval k&n filter over a stock filter if that makes any difference.. thanks

·
Registered
2003 TBS
1,517 Posts
Having the sound and look you like is important. Sounds like you got both. Glad you're happy with the pipes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts