Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My Daytona died a couple of weeks ago (Engine seized at speed whilst over taking a car on the motorway near Edinburgh) It's a long and scary story. Anyway I spoke to a bloke who has a '97 trident 900 engine and think's it will go into my '96 900 Daytona.
So I phoned my local Triumph dealer and spoke to some bloke (who didn't seem to be the sharpest tool in the shed) who was very ambiguous about whether it would fit.
Does anyone on here know if it's the same engine.

I'm desperate to get back on two wheels but don't want to fork out a shed load of money to end up with an over sized paper weight.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Dave? Don? Want to kick this over to T3-land?

Uglygargoyle, your questions regarding carburetted triples really belong over in the T3 forum. A lot of people over there who know these bikes inside & out.

The short answer to your question is yes. The slightly longer answer is see if you can get him to throw in the carbs as well, as the Keihins from a '97 are generally regarded as better across the board than the Mikunis from a '96.

Cheers, HTH,
-Kit

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Thanks Kit, I think I did it.
Don

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys,
I wasn't sure of the best place so I tried to cross thread.
Kit - Thanks for the info I'll get back onto him and see about getting the barbs. If ya don't ask ya don't get :)

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Good luck, let us know how it goes or if you need any help. :D

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
167 Posts
The engine you`ve been offered will certainly fit in your Daytona frame but you`ll need to remove the link pipe across the bottom of the engine to allow you to fit the oil cooler lines as per original setup. Due to the fairing then if they`re not fitted then your engine will overheat.

Nice to see another Scottish Triumph owner on here as i`m only just up the road in Dundee.

Cheers, Matt :cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts