Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Did a few searches, did not see anything specified to the Trident (1994).
Is the 1.5 inches slack should be On or Off the center stand ?
thanks in advance !

·
Registered
903 Posts
I have a Trophy, I think your Trident has the same eccentric adjustment for the rear axle. I found out years ago when I had the slack right while the bike was on the center stand, it would tighten up when off the center stand and tighten up even more when someone sat on the bike.
Now I get someone who is about my weight to sit on the bike while I check for chain slack. When the slack is right it will look pretty loose when on the center stand. Years ago I added a Scottoiler and the chain now lasts a long time, 30K miles. Chain adjustment are rarely needed.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, feels OK at 1.5 to 2 inches on center stand, it's a bit less when i'm on the bike, about 1 inch

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
Yes it does seem a lot but following the book seems to work for me. I'm sure the constant lubrication from the Scott Oiler helps.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
From the factory manual, page 2.30:

FSM said:
1. Set the motorcycle up on either the side or centre stand.

2. Check the rear wheel alignment by reference to the rear wheel alignment instructions later in this section. Adjust if necessary.

3. Rotate the rear wheel to find the position where the chain has least slack. Measure the chain's vertical movement, mid-way between sprockets.
Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
113 Posts
Imagine that, after messing with motorbikes for over 50 years, I'd never heard of a chain monkey so I nipped down to my garage and cobbled one up out of some angle aluminium and some bolts and it actually works. Impressed!

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Please share, Triuman! I had been scoffing at that thing for a while, until I saw how it works and realized it was a valid concept.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
113 Posts
I wish I could Kit but I can't get the pic to attach. Never seen the manage files screen before!
I'm missing something!

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Aces, thanks!

Cheers,
-Kit

1 - 12 of 12 Posts