Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased a 97 900. Previous owner says he had the local dealer replace the fuel petcock. My problem, is the engine dies out when the petcock is set in the run or reserve position. It won't run normally unless it is set to 'prime'.

The bike has had the stock air box removed and has individual pod filters on the carbs. It appears from a reall sooty exhaust pipe that the bike may be running rich, but no other real indications other than my mileage seems to only be around 35 to 38 mpg. I'm thinking I may have a vacum leak somewhere which is why the fuel won't flow with the petcock in the run position. How do I diagnose???

Suggestions anyone. Thanks in advance

Bernie

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
The vacuum hose to the petrol tap comes off the back of the tap and runs close to the frame tube. It is not impossible for the hose to be kinked when the tank is replaced. That would stop the tap operating. You'll need to take the side pieces off and have a look. I dream of getting 38mpg out of my Trident, 32mpg (Imperial gallons) is about the norm for me.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fixed it!

Thanks Daveforty. Pulled off the side panels so I could trace everything out. Turns out that the vacum hose was connected to the vent 'T' on the carbs, not the vacum tap on the top by the diaphragm. Hence, no vacum, no working petcock. I tested out the petcock and it works just fine, connected up the hoses right and all is now good to go. Thanks!

B

1 - 3 of 3 Posts