Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Trident starts ok from cold,can ride for 3 or 4 miles then suddenly cuts out losing all power and will not start.Let it cool down for 30 minutes and it will start again and can be ridden for a couple of miles until the same thing happens again.Anyone got an idea what the cause might be.Cheers.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Are your electrics all stock? Coils, wires, points/breakers?

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
You may want to post something in the T3 forum, but your problem is almost certainly a bad pickup coil, AKA ignition sensor. I assume you're in the UK if you have a 750; the part should be £40-50 and is very simple to fit. The manual may warn that draining the oil is required, but there's really no more than an ounce or 2 of it behind that cover and even that won't leak out if you replace the sensor with the bike on the sidestand.

Edit- We are talking about a Hinckley Trident 750, rather than a Meriden bike, right?

Cheers, HTH,
-Kit

·
Registered
815 Posts
Thanks for catching that Kit!

Since I have a '76 Trident 750, I didn't even know there was a NEW one! :rolleyes:

Just ignore me folks; back to my cave...

(but at least I have vintage Boyer electronics on mine ;))

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
No worries, Mordechai. For all I know, it could be a Meriden bike.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You may want to post something in the T3 forum, but your problem is almost certainly a bad pickup coil, AKA ignition sensor. I assume you're in the UK if you have a 750; the part should be £40-50 and is very simple to fit. The manual may warn that draining the oil is required, but there's really no more than an ounce or 2 of it behind that cover and even that won't leak out if you replace the sensor with the bike on the sidestand.

Edit- We are talking about a Hinckley Trident 750, rather than a Meriden bike, right?

Cheers, HTH,
-Kit
Thanks Kit,yes it is a Hinckley Trident 750.I will try and source the sensor.Thanks Murray40.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts