Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... a few weeks back I noticed that whenever I refuelled the tank then (after some minutes) the indication for the fuel would only show a few bars not all filled. It was missing two. I thought that's just me... my mind is playing tricks. So few top ups later the thing is still there. Never going to full always missing two bars. I went to the dealer (polite guy) he said it might be the fuel float inside the tank (if thats what you call it in English) or the system might need a system update since the instruments might be somewhat screwed???? Anyway we did the latest update, that's available by Triumph. No change in the instruments. But now I have a new issue that another user who's done the update is having as well.

The engine heat indicator does not go above 3 bars. It used to be always in the middle and only once I've seen it move one bar up. So now no matter how long I ride the bars are always three. And my fear is this. Apart from the fuel thing. I might not know if the engine is overheating. If the read on the instruments is wrong who's to say that its not totally off?

Has anyone experienced anything like this? or Hopefully have a solution?
thanks

·
Registered
2022 Trident 660
36 Posts
I've heard of people experiencing issues with incorrect fuel level and it was solved by the dealer replacing the fuel float.

For the engine temp, it could be a faulty coolant temp sensor. The dealer should be able to diagnose the sensor and test what the true engine temp is to what the sensor is reading and replace the sensor if needed

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've heard of people experiencing issues with incorrect fuel level and it was solved by the dealer replacing the fuel float.

For the engine temp, it could be a faulty coolant temp sensor. The dealer should be able to diagnose the sensor and test what the true engine temp is to what the sensor is reading and replace the sensor if needed
Thanks for the reply. Tomorrow I’ll take it to the dealer. I had bid ride today like an hour or so and the temp stays at three bars. I think the fan did not turn on cause the bike was really hot. Might be me but still can’t risk it

·
Registered
Triumph Trident 660
42 Posts
Apparently a software update altered the temperature calibration on the display. Three bars is now standard “everything’s ok” operating temperature. I must try riding around with the temp on from startup next time I’m out, make sure it actually does show it cold…warm properly.

·
Registered
2022 Street Twin Matt Ironstone
202 Posts
Run the tank to empty before thew next fill and let us know. It does sound like a float but with all these new electronics who knows.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Run the tank to empty before thew next fill and let us know. It does sound like a float but with all these new electronics who knows.
Will do. But hard to know if there more lt in there when the indication says 20kms left of range. But I will keep you posted. To be honest I'm more worried about the temp thing. And if this effects the fan... I'm not sure the fan turned on yesterday. I kept having this heat in my legs for about 20kms of ride.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Apparently a software update altered the temperature calibration on the display. Three bars is now standard “everything’s ok” operating temperature. I must try riding around with the temp on from startup next time I’m out, make sure it actually does show it cold…warm properly.
I would say if you’re running consistently at 3 bars on the temp gauge then you’re fine if not a little cold. Mine is consistently at 4-5 in any weather. Also, it’s a naked bike so you’re going to get a decent amount of heat on your legs. There are no fairings to shield them from the engine. I usually just stick out my legs from time to time to cool them as I’m riding.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Should be able to tell if the fan is working by just starting the bike and letting it idle, as long as the bike is not moving the fan will be required to maintain proper engine temperature.

If I let mine sit and idle, the fan usually turns on after around 5 - 10 minutes depending on the outside temperature.

Set the display to the temperature display and idle the bike and make sure it can maintain temperature on its own without moving. If it can't then definitely take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So latest news on this. Talked to Greek dealer who talked to triumph UK and they said that after the latest software update 3 bars is the new normal temp of the bike. So everything good I guess. Fuel issue not resolved yet. Yesterday filled up again but one bar down.
do you guys think that the low fuel indicator comes a bit early? I mean 50kms before you drain the tank is a bit too early for me. Maybe 20kms would be better. Also what’s annoying is that when the low fuel indicator turns on, the lower part of the instruments is unreadable.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Fuel. Next time you fill the bike sit astride it so it's upright and brim the tank by rocking the bike a little each time the level comes up to the top. It will go down a bit each time so you can get a little more in each time. Do this a couple of times.

Temp. Leave the bike idling on the stand. Cooling fan will turn on at 103°C, temp gauge will probably flicker between 3 and 4 bars. It will run until temp drops to 97/98° (differential is 5 or 6°C) and gauge will be steady at 3 bars. It'll then repeat etc etc.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Fuel. Next time you fill the bike sit astride it so it's upright and brim the tank by rocking the bike a little each time the level comes up to the top. It will go down a bit each time so you can get a little more in each time. Do this a couple of times.

Temp. Leave the bike idling on the stand. Cooling fan will turn on at 103°C, temp gauge will probably flicker between 3 and 4 bars. It will run until temp drops to 97/98° (differential is 5 or 6°C) and gauge will be steady at 3 bars. It'll then repeat etc etc.
About the temp we’ve done that when I got to the dealer. We let run for some minutes and reached 100. Fun kicked in. All good.
about the fuel. I have tried that also but no luck.
Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So update here. After my dealer talked to triumph England they said that three bars is the new norm for the bike. Can’t really understand it but it is way it is. No doubt in a later update this will change but anyway.
fuel seems to be ok too. Might have been a software glitch.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts