Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm installing the Tricor oil filter kit for OIF bikes (RS024) on my oil-in-frame '72 T120R. The bike is stock, and I'm trying to determine how the plumbing is intended to be routed. As supplied the kit contained one straight oil hose attachment pipe, and one 90-degree pipe. The inbound port—on the left as installed—receiving the return oil from the engine needs the 90-degree pipe. However, the straight pipe on the outbound port on the right seems like it would send the oil hose up behind the oil tank frame member and between the air filter housing halves--ultimately leading to a convoluted route with two sharp turns to make it the oil tank return pipe. I presume I'm missing something, but it’s not registered with me yet. I emailed Andy at Tri-Cor, no response yet. Does anyone have pictures of their installation of this kit on their OIF bike—or a description of what piece of this puzzle I’m not seeing yet?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
In case it's helpful for anyone in a similar situation looking for info in the future, I'll follow-up with the resolution. Andy Gregory eventually got back to me, after exchanging a few emails he sent me a second 90-degree pipe fitting. That was just the ticket--it facilitated a more simple hose routing, and the rest of the installation went well. Initial test run went fine, no leaks, and no issues after a short test ride. Overall I'm pleased with the filter setup, and I'm glad I went with the Tricor setup vs a spin-on automotive filter alternative. It fits well with a stock bike and does not look out of place at all.

Alternate link for the pictures in case they don't upload:

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Hi ramueller23, Excellent!! That's the kind of things we need to know!

That looks like a nice fitting filter kit.

If possible, could you take some detailed photos of how filter mounts to frame? Thanks!
Don

·
6,896 Posts
Hi,

resolution.
second 90-degree pipe fitting
facilitated a more simple hose routing,
Thanks for posting this. (y)

Hard to understand what Andy was thinking of, supplying only one 90-degree pipe fitting and a straight one (same as 'dry-frame' kit) when the OIF filter element holder has both inlet and outlet on the side and the straight pipe fitting would appear to point one hose into the bottom of the airbox? :alien:

how filter mounts to frame?
Between the image on Andy Gregory's webpage and the OP's images, an educated guess says it mounts in the same place(s) as the rear fender front mount is secured?

Hth.

Regards,

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hard to understand what Andy was thinking of, supplying only one 90-degree pipe fitting and a straight one (same as 'dry-frame' kit) when the OIF filter element holder has both inlet and outlet on the side and the straight pipe fitting would appear to point one hose into the bottom of the airbox? :alien:
That's what I was running in to. The straight pipe fitting is tall enough that you would have to bend the hose too sharply to run it out from under the stock airbox assemblies, no matter which side you put the straight fitting on. If you try to go up between the two airbox assemblies you still make a sharp turn over top, and an even sharper turn to connect to the rocker/tank return pipe.

Hi ramueller23, Excellent!! That's the kind of things we need to know!

That looks like a nice fitting filter kit.

If possible, could you take some detailed photos of how filter mounts to frame? Thanks!
Don
As Stuart noted, the two mounting lugs welded to the filter housing slide down between the rear fender's front mounting tabs and secure to the frame tabs with the same bolts that secure the fender--Andy provides new bolts in the hardware bag. The holes in the mounting lugs are threaded, so the nuts are no longer necessary. Here's a before and after with the different fittings, and a couple more shots trying to show how it mounts:

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Hi ramueller23, Thank you very much. That's how I expected it, but not the threaded mounts, that surprised me. Did it fit tightly so frame ears were not stressed when tightening bolts?

What kind of metal is the tube & mounts? Steel or alloy.

This is such a good post. You'd think Andy would do real life photos link on web site. You probably just sold a lot of filters for him! It gives users the confidence to know how it fits easily & works so good.

Also a thank you to triumpt120rv!! He was a pioneer of sorts for this filter.

Thanks again, Don

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi ramueller23, Thank you very much. That's how I expected it, but not the threaded mounts, that surprised me. Did it fit tightly so frame ears were not stressed when tightening bolts?

This is such a good post. You'd think Andy would do real life photos link on web site. You probably just sold a lot of filters for him! It gives users the confidence to know how it fits easily & works so good.

Thanks again, Don
Here here! I’m ordering one now. Thanks to ramueller23, triumpt130rv, and TR7RVMan for the help! I agree with Don that this should give more people confidence to try this filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It did fit pretty tightly between the fender mounting tabs and frame tabs. I don’t believe it will have any negative effects on the frame tabs.

All steel except for the alloy cap.

Thanks again, Don
Thanks. I dont recall where I first saw mention of Andy’s products, it was either here or Britbike, very well could have been from triumpt120rv. I appreciate all the people that take the time to share their knowledge and guidance in these forums. The likes of Stuart and Forchetto have been very helpful as I’ve worked through issues with the bike and sought information on how best to proceed. Cheers,

Ryan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts