Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 05 790 silver Bonne, looks great, sounds fantastic: Madaz sraight through peashooters, Front forks tricked up by Promecha, ikon springs progressive dampening etc when I go for a ride with the boys, (who all ride sport bikes) they all seem to love whizzing by me at 250km to my 150km I keep a check on my mirrors but I cant see them all, the [email protected][email protected]>|}$. What I want to do is to get the beast up to 170 odd kmh comfy so I take the edge off the sewing machine whines as they go past. Now I am going to get a18t sprocket to stop looking for 6th, I am going to run a new filter K&N or Uni ? is there a great difference between the 2 types or is it marginal?, I will need to get new jets and needles, I have limited mechanical knowledge if I bought a jet and needle kit could I do it or should I just give it all to the man and have it dyno'd would it all up, give me an extra 20 odd cruisier km per hour or would it just make it more responsive in the throttle, if you have any other ideas for a few extra kmh I would appreciate your estwhile comments

·
Registered
745 Posts
you need either a sportsbike or different friends to ride with.

taller gearing may mean higher speed but you sacrifice acceleration. if you want the eternal quest for more, get a 1000cc big bore kit, taller gears, lower profile, bigger carbs, a blower, 17" front to carve, more brakes, fairing, better paycheck. and dye your hair blue...that chase never ends.

I knew a HD guy back in the 60s who built beautiful custom bikes...absolutely first rate, but had a "thing" for riceburners...his pride insisted he build a HD that would put the Jap bikes in their rightful subordinate place...he did manage to build a faster HD, but ended up eating mescaline and putting pistons thru thin cylinder walls...last time I saw him, he was on a Ninja. apparently found peace with himself.

if your ego needs to thrash them, get a S BMW...or something relavant...otherwise you're in the vintage racer class.

the Bonneville is monkey love and dirty sex... she does things she doesn't want her mom to know.

...and someone tell Hugh Hefner the truth...they just want his money...

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying your bike won't do 170, or that you'd like to cruise it at a more comfortable engine speed? Top speed on my bike is about 182 kmph with TOR's and 115 mains as my only performance mods. So maybe all you need are some new pipes and a modest main jet?

[ This message was edited by: Hilts on 2006-12-06 14:07 ]

·
Registered
54 Posts
Save up the money from your mods and buy a second-hand sportsbike for those rides.

The bonnie will never keep up with the the sporties.

I had an R1 not long ago, but I sold it and bought a bonnie. The R1 was an extrememly comfortable, reliable, awesome machine that demanded respect everywhere - but it was just a disposable bike. You need to buy a new one every year to keep with that game.

A bonnie is a keeper, it the one you fall in love with rather than the one-night stand.

I was going through about 3 bikes a year til I got my bonnie!

True, I don't ride in as many groups now because almost every bike is faster than the bonnie - even a little plastic fantastic 250 would probably kill a bonnie - an the big groups don't really want to wait for a lawn mower all the time.

Nevertheless, there are heaps of people to ride with, triumph groups and old farts clubs - seek them.

The boniie is coooooool. There's no substitute for that.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Burt Munro would be proud of you, and likely tell you to go for it. I thought about the same thing. Fix the suspension, which is more important, and in more need than bumping power. Then bump power. Now you have a great running Bonnie that still won't hang with the sport bikes, but it will be one bad Bonnie.

So really, what are you into? I decided to leave the Thruxton alone (for the most part) until time for repairs. When it gets to the point I need that 955i response again, I'll pick up a Daytona or S3.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I agree..... either buy an additional bike (FZ1/Fazer)

- and/or -

put your hard earned money on GOOD adjustable suspension components, attend some reputable riding schools and learn how to ride correctly, do some track days on the Bonnie......
then ride smooooth, ride well, ride swift but safely, and humbly accept the comments of praise about how "fast that Bonnie is...." When in reality IT'S not, but now YOU are.
:-D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks guys I really just wanted to go that litte bit faster with less vibration, faster as to discourage their childish hijinks and less vibration so my eyes stayed in their sockets, cheers

·
Registered
679 Posts
Don't worry about the k&n air filter. What you need is the stock airbox removed. You can either cut the guts out of the stock one and stick k&n pods on it. Or buy the whole kit from NewBonneville, Bellacorse or others I guess. Get some Thruxton or TBS needles Then get it dynoed.
Get an 18th sprocket, some heavy duty clutch springs and a 8400 rpm rev limiter. Mine wouldn't do much more than 170 unless you had a big long hill. Now it will do close to 170 in 4th
Come to the dark side

Darcy

·
Registered
142 Posts
Dick, if you can do 170 in 4th, what's your top speed in 5th? Also, I've heard bikes with Procoms have hot-starting problems. Have you experienced this?

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
On 2006-12-06 20:46, KOGANINJA wrote:
with less vibration,
How long have you been on the Bonnie? I promised not to change a thing until I'd put six months of riding in. Many things to get used to.

I came off an old school Harley, and after a couple years on the Tiger really missed not needing a tach, and having a headlight that turns with the forks. The feel and sound of the twin was a major selling point.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Buy a whizz bike and join all the other cretins that crash into lamp posts and kill innocent people

·
Registered
679 Posts
Hilts,
I don't have a procom box I have a stock box that has been adjusted. Top speed in 5th is 220+. I haven't had it to the limiter in top and I'm not sure if it has enough hp to go that fast. I have had mine to about 210.

johnsime he did't say he wanted to crash into lamp posts and kill innocent people he just wanted get up to 170 every now and then. sheesh get real

1 - 15 of 15 Posts