Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had too much fun my first time installing the spring/ C plate. Getting the C plate over the pin was a real pain. Installation manual says that's the last step.

When I removed my stand from my wrecked Bonnie I thought of a new way to install, and just did it on my new Bonnie (also a 2004 T100).

I attached the C plate before inserting the main bolts.
I pulled on the stand to pull the sping tight and slipped the bolt into the RHS hole. Popped right in. Then put in the LHS bolt, snugged up and done. Piece of cake!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Awesome tip man, you probaly just saved me lots of choice language, and some time. :-D

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Aw....that takes all the fun and companionship out of it...many on this forum have written how they got a spouse to help em get that***** of a spring installed. :-D :-D

Larry

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
The way I do it is to leave the standoff that the spring attaches to, loose on the frame so it easier to attach the spring. Once attached, I tighten the standoff's bolt and it pulls the spring tight.

Mike

·
Registered
22 Posts
Success! Installation of the centre stand.

Hi Everyone. Thanks. I'm new to this site and have been reading up on some of the threads. I had just recently purchased a centre stand for my '05 T-100 and using the "attach spring / C clip first, then muscle stand to the bike" method, I was able to install the stand by myself in my front yard in about 20 minutes. I'm glad I read the thread first, it's pretty tight under there to try to attach the spring as per the instructions. Thanks. cpF

·
Registered
92 Posts
T100 center stand

Thanks for the advice.

This was the day for me to install my center stand also.

I have never seen such unorthadox methods of engineering since I owned a Morris Minor.

The side play in the center stand is close to 3/16 inch. I believe I have the bushings inserted correctly. And the grease... There is enough to lube a Mac Truck. The C-bracket has no means of retention once it has been placed on the spindle. Wouldn't a retention clip be a good idea? I guess they figure that the spring tension compensates for the side play and the oversized hole in the C-bracket compared to diameter of the attachment spindle. If I have missed something, please correct me.

I'll have to remember that when I'm laying the hammer down on the Ol' Bonnie, whipping through the twisties. Spring tension, spring tension...

I love the Brits, and I go there often. But I do know now why my British friends drink warm beer.

Lucas must have been in the refridgerator business....

All in humor, Cheers....

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
When I first saw the pieces and parts of the stand, the words that came to mind were "village ironmonger", a term I first saw in a British 'how to make' things book for boys, published back when.

Bob

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Center Stand

A lot of work & a lot of money?? Limited on the twisties??- no way! Buy a jack & save the ag!! Just my opinion??

·
Registered
92 Posts
Center Stand Install Trick

Just tried installing the center stand using the method of instaling the C-bracket first. PIECE OF CAKE! Thanks for the tip. EXCELLENT!!!!!

The stand is very stable, and stays in place quite well in the upright positon. Plus, having the utility of the center stand for chain oiling and the fact that the bike is low to begin with, and it looks so much better on the center stand are two major plusses. I was worried about the amount of lateral play in the stand after it was bolted, but it feels quite stable.

Now why couldn't I have thought of that????

The dealer says, "You definitely want to have us install this item..."

Sorry Dude...

·
Registered
11,039 Posts
I think the center stand is great, I bought mine with the bike, and while it's a challenge to mount the springs (use both of them), once it's finished, it's good for a long time.

The unsupported C-bracket looks dangerous but the collective experience here is that it never touches the chain if installed correctly, i.e. with no twisting force applied to it from the spring.

The center stand is useful for chain cleaning, oiling and adjustment, spoke checking, oil changes, and using less space in the garage (or wherever) when parked. It's also handy to have it down when lowering the bike off the lift.

Some riders say that it will scrape in the twisties, but I draw the line on lean when my footpegs start scraping--before the center stand scrapes, so I don't have that problem.

PS Check the bolts in a year or two, one of mine worked loose after two years. I suppose this applies equally to every bolt on the motorcycle.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Bolts

++1 on checking ALL bolts reg on these bikes! They all have a tendency to loosen up!!
Do all mine every 6 mo- rainy day! Youd be suprised what you will find!! A good habit to get into!

·
Registered
11,039 Posts
Check the oil filter too. I found that to be loose last season.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Center Stand

You're right on checking the bolts out once a year. I think especially the spindle that holds the C-bracket. The hole in the frame was a bit larger than the diameter of the spindle. It works great though...

Next, my new Progressive 440 series shocks.....

Cheers....

·
Registered
102 Posts
Thanks for the tip!

I attached the C plate before inserting the main bolts.
I pulled on the stand to pull the sping tight and slipped the bolt into the RHS hole. Popped right in. Then put in the LHS bolt, snugged up and done. Piece of cake!
That was great advice--I installed mine yesterday morning and am very pleased to have done so. :) Looking back, I can't imagine attempting to do it in the sequence the instruction booklet suggested.

It still took me longer than I expected, though, because of the @#$%^&!! torn rotator cuff in my right shoulder--which made for lots of pain and loud cursing on the driveway when trying to install the rubber stop and also when pulling back on the spring-loaded stand to slip the bolts in. :eek: (I was so frustated with the rubber thingy that I was about to go back in the house searching for some petroleum jelly, until memories from days when such information was actually useful reminded me that PJ deteriorates rubber! So I soaped it up instead. Even then, still wasn't easy to slip it in.)

After I finished the job, the pain in my shoulder forced me to immediately undergo about an hour of physical therapy--also known as the "wide open throttle position." :D

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Hi Guys
I transfered my stand from one bike to another and have to admit I was not looking forward to struggling with those springs.:mad:

So this is what I did
1- fitted the pin that the "C" link rides on very loosely. BTW my pin has a groove in the end to prevent the C link slipping off
2- slid the stand under the bike and fitted the LHS pivot bolt. This was very long and I just threaded the nut on a couple of threads(I don't believe this bolt is an original)
3- hooked the springs to the C link and stand. The loose bolt allowed everything to move enough to fit.
4- there was just enough movement to ease in the RHS pivot bolt, albeit at a strange angle(again, this bolt was very long)
5 I was then able to slowly tighten everything up. The C link mounting first and then the two pivot bolts. Check the C link is correctly positioned and a quick test, perfect. The whole thing took about 10 mins:D:D
Phil

Edit, when first fitted therubber bump stop didnt line up with the stand, there are two positions on the TOR mufflers, I had to move the rubber, a bit of a fiddle but no real problem

·
Registered
1 Posts
Centerstand Spring Hooking

The way I found easiest was to remove the left side muffler with its centerstand upstop. This allowed the stand to rise about two inches higher, and it was easy to hook the springs on to the tangs. No swearing required.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Great thread. The centerstand is next on my hit list (hopefully sooner than later), and this is great stuff to know.

That, and I have a surgically repaired right shoulder.:eek:

·
Registered
164 Posts
This may not be totally on topic but do you guys know the spring trick of loading it with big washers to expand it, then attach, then pull out the washers?

I used this brilliant trick on a clutch pedal spring once and it saved me hours of choice lingo.

J

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Norman Hyde Centrestand

FWIW, I went with the NH stand. Had no problems installing it, fitment is perfect and it cost a bit less than the OEM part.

·
Premium Member
1,954 Posts
wish I knew of this tip 12 months ago when I installed the centre stand. remeber it being a mongrel to fit.

having said that, and 20,000 kilometers later, find that the stand is great and wouldnt have a road bike without one.:)

good idea to check bolts for looseness every six months though.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts