Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

121 - 134 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
Well, after a long hiatus the project is back underway. Realizing my busy schedule and the reality that I would not be able to work on the bike for quite some time I bit the bullet and brought it to a shop to have it finished up.

The Classic Bike Experience up northern VT has been great to deal with. It obviously a pricey project, but they had some time in their schedule this fall to take it on. The guys hope to fire it up today, so I keep watching my phone and email for an update.

Its being finished as your average mid 60's T120r, with nothing being true to a certain year but its rather a functional average of the model.

Very exciting- hope to have it back in a few weeks!

The attached photos were from the last few updates.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
Has anyone Identified the lower fork legs on this bike? Are they stock from another make/model bike, or a modified version of the stock lower leg?
I haven't figured out the extended fork lowers yet- if you're interested in them shoot me a PM.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Those of us of a certain age seem to forget just how uncluttered these bikes used to be. Beautiful, just plain beautiful. Will you be taking it to shows and bike nights? If so, next summer when I am back in the Dacks I would come and have a look see at your jewel.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
Getting there! Fired up on the third kick, oil flow checked and then engine was turned off.

Just a few more final touches and checks then its time to give it a test run. I have to paint that side chromed cover still.

Not the best photos- but its an update.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
I spent a few hours at the shop this Tuesday with the owner going over things, bolt checks, road tests, etc and made a list of "incompletes". I decided to take the bike back with me and finish up the loose ends rather than making the drive again. The Classic Bike Experience is a great shop and is run by two knowledgable, organized and helpful guys. I'd highly recommend them to anybody in the area.

Anway- so the bike is home and running! I took it out for another shakedown run yesterday, despite the below outstanding issues, I had the biggest grin on my face.

-Right hand cylinder is running a bit rough, I'm thinking there is something going on with the pilot circuit on the carb.
-left hand exhaust has a small leak at the head spigot (clamp is fully tightned so I'll have to figure that one out somehow)
-air filter fell off during a ride but is undamaged and just fine to remount
-headlight knob fell off during the ride (caught it in my hand!)
-fork leak from the lower bolt hidden by the front axle.
-oil vent lines need to be run still
-paint or powdercoat side panel and oil tank
-apply decals :)
-rubber tank pads
-bend RH footrest back down (looks like it was bent up at one point, doesn't allow the kickstart pin to swing fully)
-correct the speedo drive as its currently the wrong ratio
-install tach drive and cable
-sidestand doesn't fit right but I'll do without it and use the centerstand
-finish mount high/low/horn switch to bars

Small to do items, but I'll keep putting some miles on it to get through the break in period.

More photos to come!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
I've put probably 30 miles on it for break in so far- I'll do another few short runs and then change the oil, re-torque the head, adjust valves, etc.

RH cylinder is still running poorly, probably due to the carburetor. I have some cleaner in the gas so we'll see if that clears anything up before I change the oil. If not, I'll pull the carbs and re-clean and inspect them both.

LH exhaust pipe is leaking at the stub and I can't tighten the clamp anymore. The pipes are knock off emgos, has anybody else had problems with them? Maybe I can cut the slit in the pipe a little more to allow for more flex when clamping?

Handlebars keep slipping in their mounts, I don't dare tighten the bolts any further.

Clutch is also acting up. I haven't tried adjusting anything yet but it slips when in higher gears and you put on the power. The clutch is not new, I'm not sure how much of that I can fix with cable adjustment or if I'm looking at putting new plates in.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Try making a shim for the exhaust pipe with a soda or beer can.
A bike that lovely deserves some new clutch plates.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
The bike looks great! What bars are they? Where did you get them? I'm just starting a 69 daytona that I am converting to a high piper. The motor is not original so I figured I'll make it what I want.

·
Registered
65 Posts
For handlebar shims I’ve used the rubber from an old inner tube cut to fit around the bar and inside the clamp. Also, I’ve used sheet rubber 6”x6” from the local hardware store. It’s thicker than inner tube rubber.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
Finally got the bike out of the shed today. She fired right up- even after I neglected the battery all winter.

Still runs like dog poo- but I have yet to pull the carbs or adjust the valves since the rebuild.

Worse than the bad running is the bubbles paint on the tank... must have been a pinhole by the rear mount. Ugh.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
Here we go- time to get back into it and get the bike on the road this year. A two and a half year old, a three week old, and an old house have kept me busy the last two years so I havne't done much to the bike.

New carbs just came in the mail today (thanks Paul) and I hope to get them on this weekend.

Attachments

121 - 134 of 134 Posts