Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

101 - 120 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
Bringing the frame to the shop tomorrow, I asked him to fit the engine that way he can tighten the top end and fit the rockets for me. Any leaks, i can claim ignorance.

Got a replacement swingarm in the mail to replace the flaking chromed on that was on the bike, looks good after blasting and the bushes look good.

Got some rear fender mounts as I was missing some. Blasting reveals a crack but l attempt to weld that up.

New stainless fenders, wiring harness and electronic ignition from Don Hutchinsons shop.

I'm assuming all headlight ears have slight creases in them?

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Tinkered last night for a while. Blasted and painted the headlight ears, rear fender mounts, and rear leg plates.

Cleaned up the original rear rim- it's in worse shape than the front but it cleaned up OK. I'll be damned if I could find the before pictures of the lacing pattern, and the three different spoke options for the rear was quite a headache. After partially lacing and relaxing three times I finally got it right. Just have to true it up.

I should be able to pick up the frame with completed engine from the shop this week.

Just have to strip/paint the rear frame and I should be able to start putting things together.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #111 (Edited)
The invisible forks are the new craze. Truth be told I'm avoiding making a tool to tighten the fork cups.

I tackled the rear fender today. After having problems fitting the last one on the trident and reading of Robs detailed woes on his 66, I wasn't thinking it would be easy. WeIl I was wrong.

The new stainless fender (rolled edges) fit great. Simple mount, mark and drill starting from the front mounting point and working backwards. I didn't tighten anything as I want to do it once the rear wheel is in, and I have to replace the hardware but it's on.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
Whats the record for the longest project? I must be close...

This spring I bought a house, a project house, and my free time has been almost eliminated. Nice old farmhouse on a few acres with its fair share of issues. I'm just glad I'm single and don't have kids or else I'd really be in trouble!

Anyway, my father (who's bike this was) is in quickly failing health and I just made the leap to get the bike officially transferred to my name. My goal was to have it completed and running for him and I to ride together but unfortunately we won't have that opportunity.

I had it registered as a '63 to match the frame number, although I'm building it closer to a '67. The bike sits on its stand in my workshop (read "workshop" as spare room in the house :)). No progress other than the paperwork in the last 10 months. I'm hoping that this fall I'll be able to get back into it.

Hope all is well with everybody on here.

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
Whats the record for the longest project? I must be close...

This spring I bought a house, a project house, and my free time has been almost eliminated. Nice old farmhouse on a few acres with its fair share of issues. I'm just glad I'm single and don't have kids or else I'd really be in trouble!

Anyway, my father (who's bike this was) is in quickly failing health and I just made the leap to get the bike officially transferred to my name. My goal was to have it completed and running for him and I to ride together but unfortunately we won't have that opportunity.

I had it registered as a '63 to match the frame number, although I'm building it closer to a '67. The bike sits on its stand in my workshop (read "workshop" as spare room in the house :)). No progress other than the paperwork in the last 10 months. I'm hoping that this fall I'll be able to get back into it.

Hope all is well with everybody on here.
tealetm,
Sorry to hear about your Dad's failing health and wish him all the best.

Thank you for giving us a progress report on your bike. I'll keep checking back. Hope you like your new home and good luck to you and your Dad....Gary

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
Well, its been a long time since I gave an update to this thread and unfortunately there is no update to the bike. Unfortunately my father passed in October of 2015 and did not get to see the bike up and running again.

After reading my last post about buying the house and having little free time, I forgot I commented "I'm just glad I'm single and don't have kids or else I'd really be in trouble."

Well, you guessed it- I've since married and have a happy 5 month old boy. Life is good!

The Triumph is my only bike, and it remains packed away in a storage room waiting for attention.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Congratulations on the family. I have two young kids myself and try to make them a part of the restoration. The early years are busy, but they get easier when they hit 3.

Keep at it.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I just read this from your first post to the end, you are doing something I always wish I have the skill and patience to attempt. Congratulations on the new family member, now you have another good reason to complete this project. Passing down grandpa's bike to the little one some day in the future will be a big day for the both of you. I spend the summer in the Southern Adirondacks and hope to see you on the road at some time with your bike, there is some great riding just 50 miles north of Albany. Thanks for the thread and keep plugging away on life, its a great ride when you have family to share it with.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Has anyone Identified the lower fork legs on this bike? Are they stock from another make/model bike, or a modified version of the stock lower leg?

101 - 120 of 134 Posts