Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have sometimes noticed an abrupt transition from being off-throttle to rolling on the throttle afterwards. In an effort to ride more smoothly, I've been doing some experimenting.

I used to either be on the throttle or on the brakes, but seldom on both at the same time, except for briefly blipping the throttle while downshifting and braking. Now I'm beginning to take what I perceive to be a more refined approach to braking. I will decelerate, usually using engine braking and sometimes the brakes (primarily or solely the front brake); but at the end of the deceleration and just before accelerating, I will apply a bit of brake (usually the rear brake), then begin rolling on the throttle while keeping the rear brake applied, and releasing the rear brake only after the transition to accelerating has occurred. This seems to dampen the transition and be an improvement over my past either/or method.

What do you think? Am I on the right track, or do you have other recommendations on how to transition seamlessly from off-throttle to on-throttle?

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
759 Posts
I tend to down shift and clutch more than brake (especially in town)...example: Coming up on a right turn say from 40mph...I'll down shift...let out the clutch...maybe trim a little bit with the front brake then get back on the throttle to make the turn then accelerate out of it...I have never really applied and held the brake (front or rear) while accelerating? Seems odd...I'm not criticizing it...just never thought of it?

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
You may wish to open up your idle mixture a bit and adjust the slack out of your throttle cables. The combination will take away most of the abrupt throttle transitions.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
don't laugh,
By dragging your back brake slightly before you accelerate you are taking up the slack in your chain.
Tighten your chain. Really, it'll help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts